Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jfconst
    • Nov 2018

How to skip 5 days without solar charge

Chris Olson, I know this is an old thread, but I have a question. You say that you want to run on your batteries for 5+ days before charging. How do you do that with the solar panels trying to charge everyday? I love what your are talking about here and want to learn more. Just building an earth berm home in the the the south side of a hill. Trying to design a system. My calculations show we would use about 8000 watt hours per day. Thinking about a forklift battery and a slow turning diesel generator to charge it once a week? Just a idea. If anyone wants to jump in here with some information or suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any help.
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Chris will never answer you. There is no problem charging every 5 days and is what you are suppose to do. You cannot be off-grid without a generator. Solar is not capable of fully charging batteries. Surprise Surprise Surprise sgt Carter. You need a generator to top off the batteries once a week and/or cloudy spells to keep from destroying them.

As for a generator anything except gasoline will work. LPG or diesel is what you want to use. Both are less expensive, cleaner, more efficient, and can be kept indefinitely.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• Jfconst
      • Nov 2018

Thank you for answering, Sunking. How do you charge once a week using solar panels? As of now I'm thinking of just generator. Also do you have any recommendations on sizing? (Inverter, batteries and generator)

Comment

• ButchDeal
        Solar Fanatic
        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Jfconst
        Thank you for answering, Sunking. How do you charge once a week using solar panels? As of now I'm thinking of just generator. Also do you have any recommendations on sizing? (Inverter, batteries and generator)
        The question is about a 5 day string of now sun, as in rain or snow...
        OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• Jfconst
          • Nov 2018

Butchdeal, I'm wanting to design for only charging once a week with a generator. Wondering if there is anyway to incorporate panels into this system

Comment

• ButchDeal
            Solar Fanatic
            • Apr 2014

Butchdeal, I'm wanting to design for only charging once a week with a generator. Wondering if there is anyway to incorporate panels into this system
            thats a long time for the batteries to not be fully charged. But yes you certainly can incorporate batteries in a system like that. Just add a charge controller and PV modules.

Comment

• Jfconst
              • Nov 2018

So how could you use the panels without changing batteries everyday?

Comment

• ButchDeal
                Solar Fanatic
                • Apr 2014

So how could you use the panels without changing batteries everyday?
                you should likely create your own thread.
                I don't understand why you would need to change the batteries just to add solar to a system that charges from generator once a week.
                You can use the batteries while you are charging them.

Comment

• Matrix
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Oct 2017

Originally posted by ButchDeal

you should likely create your own thread.
                  I don't understand why you would need to change the batteries just to add solar to a system that charges from generator once a week.
                  You can use the batteries while you are charging them.
                  Perhaps what Jf is asking is how do you keep from charging every sunny day to near or at 100% when you have solar, but only want to charge the bank every 4-5 days ? If so that could be done with a midnite classic and their Skip Days feature. You simply enter the the number of days you want the controller to skip, and the Classic will stay in float that number of days.

As of yet I've not seen where Jf has started a new thread
                  285Wx9 / MNClassic 150 / CSW4024 / TrojanL16H-ACx4

Comment

• Jfconst
                    • Nov 2018

Matrix, thank you for your answer. Just what I was looking for. As for starting a new thread, I don't know that much about forums, but this is all based on Chris Olson's post on this thread. I'm just trying to understand more of what he said. I don't see any reason to start a new one since all his information I'm interested in is in this thread. But being new, what do I know.

Comment

• Matrix
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Oct 2017

Matrix, thank you for your answer. Just what I was looking for. As for starting a new thread, I don't know that much about forums, but this is all based on Chris Olson's post on this thread. I'm just trying to understand more of what he said. I don't see any reason to start a new one since all his information I'm interested in is in this thread. But being new, what do I know.
                      Very simply then. I do not know if you have a system yet or what that system may look like, but if you spend the money on a MidNite Solar Classic charge controller, you simply use the setting "days between bulk" aka "skip days". Simple to do. Just use the MidNite Solar Local App on any LAN that the Classic is connected to. Go to configure under the tech tab and enter in the number of days you want to skip charging. it looks like this ...

skip.JPG
                      285Wx9 / MNClassic 150 / CSW4024 / TrojanL16H-ACx4

Comment

• Mike90250
                        • May 2009

And this is why you need a generator ( I have 1 primary and 2 backups) and a properly sized battery bank:

Just came off 5 rainy days, and only about 3 hours of sun between the last 2 days.

CloudCover_11-2018.gif
                        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• NCmountainsOffgrid
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Dec 2018

...coming from the RV world, in a diesel pusher with a robust Magnum 'whole house' type Inverter/Charger, 100amp(50amp RV Service) power, some solar, House batteries, and even battery charging from the Alternator while traveling, a sizable GENERATOR is a life-saver, ESPECIALLY when tied together with the Magnum AGS for automated starting for battery charging, or even starting on Temperature to power the air conditioners.

Now, my goal moving forward is to find land, set up my 'off-grid' cabin, and use it as the RV PORT to both provide shade/cover for the motorhome when home, but allow the systems I already own within the motorhome to offset the need to purchase a full 'off grid' solar powered system for the cabin. The motorhome already has the bulk of devices that are needed, including the 6v batteries. I want the ability to drive in, park the coach, and tie-in my existing RV systems to power the needs within the cabin, while we are there.

I am also loving the idea of the potential of all-in-one 120v Solar Panels, like the ones from Enphase - powering the Inverter's CHARGER, as well as directly powering the 120v or 240v systems within the cabin, while having a backup to less-than-sunny days with the my RV's battery storage. Now, whether this cabin, or RV PORT, will have the ability to tie into the grid or not, or whether I may WANT to or not, remains to be seen - I suppose wanting a tie-in with the grid will require a differing process, and equipment, but might be a viable option IF the local provider has a low enough 'minimum' monthly bill.

Comment

• Jfconst
                            • Nov 2018

Thank you again, Matrix

Comment

• Mike90250
                              • May 2009

Originally posted by NCmountainsOffgrid
                              ....... the potential of all-in-one 120v Solar Panels, like the ones from Enphase - .......
                              Lets wait till those are actually out, and being delivered.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...