Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Schof
    • Sep 2018

Spinning myself in circles!!

Hey there! I've been lurking around here for a while now reading the wealth of information available. I'm reading so many conflicting opinions that I'm spinning myself into circles!

The plan: We have purchased 40 acres north of town. We are in northern Nevada (6.5 to 7 hrs of sun a day). Connecting to the grid is not an option. We are planning on living in a fifth wheel on the land while we build a small (less than 1000 sq ft) home. Live in that home for a couple years while we build a bigger home on top of the elevation in the middle of the lot (gorgeous 360 degree views of the valley from up there ). So, my questions.....

I will need to build a solar system for the small house to run off. My thought is to build this first and then utilize the power generated from it to run the RV and construction on the small home.

Instead of rewiring the RV to run off a typical RV solar system can I build a 50 amp hook up from the system I build for the house and just plug the RV into it?

Sizing this system - can I build a system to run the RV off that can be expanded when the time comes for the house to run off?

Is this a crazy idea? Or does it have legs? Anyone have any other suggestions, tips, tricks or advice for the project I'm about to take on?

Thanks

• Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

First determine what your daily watt hours needs, otherwise you are just pissing in the wind and wasting our time guessing. It will also save you a ton of money and will actually work. Or it also might educate you just how expensive it really is to go off grid. Going off grid is going to cost you 5 to 10 times more that buying it from the power company the rest of your life. The real difference is you pay for it all up front in cash every few years as you replace very expensive batteries.

Forget 12 volts.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Schof
      Hey there! I've been lurking around here for a while now reading the wealth of information available. I'm reading so many conflicting opinions that I'm spinning myself into circles!
      Blessed are those who spin themselves into circles, for they shall be called big wheels.

Reread what Sunking writes and just walk in with your eyes open.

Comment

• Schof
        • Sep 2018

My eyes are open. That's why I'm here asking questions instead of just jumping in.

It may cost 5 to 10 times more than buying it from the power company for the rest of my life.... but does that include the $65,000 (minimum) that the power company quoted me to bring power to my lot in the first place? Thinking I can put in a modest system for less than $65K. Hence my statement - connecting to the grid is not an option.

I can estimate the daily power needs. However, as the house is not built and the appliances not purchased - it is just that, an estimate.

My question is - with a solar system sized for a 1000 sq ft home with two energy conscious occupants, would it be possible (or worthwhile) to wire in an RV hook up to run the fifth wheel prior to the house build?

Trying to determine if I build the solar system before the house and run the construction and RV from it. Or just suffer through with a generator and build the solar in with the house construction.

Comment

• Bala
          Solar Fanatic
          • Dec 2010

I have basically done exactly what you are planning.

I had an estimate for $70K Aud 12 years ago to put mains power on, I wish I had done that.

Make sure you understand that any normal? stand alone power system will not be the same as grid power. Grid power gives you a large amount of power available 24/7 (Unless there is a Fault)

Stand alone is a lifestyle.

You will need a decent generator anyway.

I had worked out and ordered my system before I moved onto the property in a caravan. I had a power board made up and made frames for short term ground mount panels and lived off the solar system and generator while building the house.

The house and everything else on the property was built by me, it was not a fun experience but it was a decision I made at the time and it did work out in the end. But far from an easy thing to do.

Comment

• Matrix
            Solar Fanatic
            • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Schof
            My question is - with a solar system sized for a 1000 sq ft home with two energy conscious occupants, would it be possible (or worthwhile) to wire in an RV hook up to run the fifth wheel prior to the house build?
            IMHO, you would not size a solar system based on the homes sq footage, but rather on Watt hours used per 24 hour period. 2 families living in a 1000 sq ft home would have very different energy needs. The occupants energy consciousness and square footage would be irrelevant as it pertains to planning and sizing an off grid solar/battery/generator system. In system design, you will also need to ask yourself (and discover the actual answer), how much reserve storage (aka battery Amp Hours) do I need in case the Sun does not shine. 1 day? 3 days? 5 Days?

That said, perhaps in this stage it is impossible for you to know your exact daily energy needs in Wh / kWh. So Take a look at your current power bill. How many kWhs do you use on average per day. 30 kWh? That is a lot for solar/battery off grid. Ask yourself, can you live with 5 kWh? How do you know? But if you think so, plan a system that can supply 5-10 kWh per day. Is the need thought to be closer to 10 kW for the small home and RV? plan a system that can supply 10-15kWh. Any of that would be a guess. But it would give you some kind of idea of the various price points and what cost at each point. Only you can determine the sacrifices you are willing to make to get that daily kWh number to move up or down to match the amount of money you are willing to spend.

Will there be propane or nat gas on site? I would consider as much of the appliances and big energy hogs be planned for gas rather than electric (maybe?). Will you need AC? Probably will not happen in every room of the house 24/7 (maybe in the RV if lived in and the house is powered down) unless you build a really big and expensive system.
            Last edited by Matrix; 09-25-2018, 04:10 PM.
            285Wx9 / MNClassic 150 / CSW4024 / TrojanL16H-ACx4

Comment

• Mike90250
              • May 2009

2 people in an efficient house, propane stove, clothes dryer and hot water, and 30 minutes of water pumping can get by with 6kwh daily. (at least my wife and I can)

I'd suggest use that as a baseline, build a power center first (you have what, maybe a month to finish it before winter sets in) and run your RV from that, and polish the house plans over the winter. If you have space, don't put panels on your roof, use ground mount or pole mount.
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...