Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proposed System pt2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Proposed System pt2

    So I've slowly been piecing together my system - here's what I've got so far, feel free to chirp in and tell me if anything is wrong...

    4 x Panasonic HIT-N285 Panels, will be wired 2S2P, 6mm cable from panels to controller.

    Outback Flexmax 80, 4AWG marine cable to batteries into a Blue Sea 80amp fuse.

    4 x Rolls S-550 6 volt batteries for 24volts linked together with the same 4awg cable.

    Blue Sea 100amp fuse with 2 outputs out - 1 to a Victron 24volt inverter charger roughly around 1000w and other feed to the house fusebox feeding LED lights, UV system @ 33w for killing the bacteria from the well water.

    All cabling will be done in 4awg - any runs are not over 10m.

    What am i missing out?!!??!

    Cheers

  • #2
    Originally posted by antonycurley View Post
    4 x Panasonic HIT-N285 Panels, will be wired 2S2P, 6mm cable from panels to controller.
    6 mm2 or 6 mm diameter? Either one will work but both are overkill. The panels at most will be sending 11 amps. At 10 meters only requires 14 AWG or 2 mm diameter or 2 mm2 wire. Uch easier to work with and a lot less expensive.

    Other than that you are good to go.



    MSEE, PE

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Sunking View Post

      6 mm2 or 6 mm diameter? Either one will work but both are overkill. The panels at most will be sending 11 amps. At 10 meters only requires 14 AWG or 2 mm diameter or 2 mm2 wire. Uch easier to work with and a lot less expensive.

      Other than that you are good to go.


      Thanks Sunking.

      The cable is 6mm2 - TUV Type Approved.

      Also.....Im going to have a generator linked up to the Inverter/Charger.......Could i run the generator into a standard type house consumer unit i.e. with breakers and feed the inverter/charger from that?

      Comment


      • #4
        So...after looking at Victron Inverter/Chargers and thinking i need one around 1200 watts to suit my solar setup @ 1140 watts the nearest one has a 25amp charger.....is this going to be enough to top my 4 x rolls s-550 428ah batteries on cloudy days?

        My generator will be on for roughly an hour every morning anyway to heat hot water so my thinking was that it can top up the batteries at the same time regardless....?

        Comment


        • #5
          Thoughts anyone? I don't want to grab an inverter charger thats not going to charge the batteries rapid enough for that hour.....
          Last edited by antonycurley; 10-11-2018, 07:53 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            24V battery with a 25A charger is only 600w, but it's better than nothing when the battery is low. In an hour, you could replace about 500Wh of consumption.
            Something closer to 45A @ 24v would be better, but hey - any port in a storm.
            Maybe something in the IOTA like would work, plugged into the generator, if you have enough generator.
            You can run both chargers at the same time, you don't need the 40A model
            https://www.iotaengineering.com/dlsx24.htm
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

            solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by antonycurley View Post
              So...after looking at Victron Inverter/Chargers and thinking i need one around 1200 watts to suit my solar setup @ 1140 watts the nearest one has a 25amp charger.....is this going to be enough to top my 4 x rolls s-550 428ah batteries on cloudy days?
              No clue where you came up with 25 amps. 1140 watts / 24 volt = 48 amps more than enough for the batteries.

              Originally posted by antonycurley View Post
              My generator will be on for roughly an hour every morning anyway to heat hot water so my thinking was that it can top up the batteries at the same time regardless....?
              Answer is yes or no. Depends if the generator has enough capacity to do both. If it does, then yes it will charge batteries while you get soaked.

              MSEE, PE

              Comment


              • #8
                Im talking about a suitable inverter/charger to suit my solar system....the 1140 watts is my 4 x panels...
                Originally posted by Sunking View Post

                No clue where you came up with 25 amps. 1140 watts / 24 volt = 48 amps more than enough for the batteries.





                Answer is yes or no. Depends if the generator has enough capacity to do both. If it does, then yes it will charge batteries while you get soaked.
                3kw immersion heater/unvented cylinder - PROPOSED generator = 6.0kw max - 5.5kw rated...

                Comment


                • #9
                  I should probably make it a bit clearer...

                  My solar is 1140watts @24 volts through a flexmax 80 into 4 x rolls s-550.

                  Im looking for a separate 24 volt inverter/charger to add on to the above. The Victron inverter charger at 1200w states it charges at 25amps - i thought it might be a bit undersized to give my batteries a top up for the hour that it would be on.....?


                  As for the proposed generator size it would be = 6.0kw max - 5.5kw rated powering a 3kw immersion heater/unvented cylinder and obviously the inverter/charger at the same time....

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by antonycurley View Post
                    The Victron inverter charger at 1200w states it charges at 25amps - i thought it might be a bit undersized to give my batteries a top up for the hour that it would be on.....?
                    Better than a sharp stick in the eye. At 25 amps x 27 volts = 675 watts of power. Better than nothing, but not practical. Look any off grid system needs a generator and a decent run of the mill no thrill charges to do preventative maintenance and cloudy days. You want the generator and charger sized to run loads and charge your batteries as fast as possible to minimize run time and fuel burn. You want that charger to be on the order of C/8 to C/6. On S-550 batteries up around 60 to 70 amps, and at 24 volt battery the genny would need to be no less than 2.5 Kw and 3 Kw i sjust about perfect for a full 70 amp 24 volt charger.

                    So what you have is better than nothing, it would need to run 3 times longer if it were optimized. So that is why I say not real practical.

                    MSEE, PE

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X