No announcement yet.

Reflections on my first small imperfect system, and looking ahead to the next

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reflections on my first small imperfect system, and looking ahead to the next

[MODERATOR - please delete this topic. I can't copy-paste a two page post, including two tables - I will have to type it all straight into the forum editor, joy...]

Massive editing issues. Forget it.

Tried to attach the post in .doc format - doubt that's working either.
    Last edited by whazzatt; 08-03-2018, 11:49 AM.

WTF? Copy-pasted a long post, and it got cut off to what appears in the first post. Tried again and again, different file formats, pasted from word to excel and then back to here - nothing. I can't seem to copy-paste the other sections into new posts either. Help! I've ATTACHED the entire post here...

Mod - edit. Copy and pasted as plain text Formatted text is forbidden.

Reflections on my first small imperfect system, and looking ahead to the next

*12V system.
    *20A MPPT controller/regulator, basic LED unit, un-programmable
    *1 panel, 130W, 41.4 Voc, 32.3Vmp
    *2 batteries, 12V 102Ah each, paralleled for 204Ah. Silver calcium (yes, not ideal, I know that now!)
    *Load: planned for a worst case scenario of 420 daily watt hours, never came anywhere close though
    *Conditions: sunny South Africa; lowest insolation figures of 2.5-2.7

System has been in use for a year at the time of writing this.

Calculation outcome was:

Straight off the bat, it is clear I never went with the calculated panel size. I had a 130W panel with a high Vmp and wanted to start experimenting, and I needed basic power at an off-grid cabin. Sunking consistently makes it clear that we will pay dearly for calculation mistakes, and I was willing to pay the school fees. I was also getting put off of ever actually starting the system because I was continuously intimidated by numbers. For someone like me, i.e. the numerically challenged, starting somewhere, imperfectly, was necessary
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mike90250; 08-03-2018, 03:28 PM.

Comment

There are many cheap "so called" MPPT controllers out there that are fake. The fake ones are just PWM controllers. If you put in the higher voltage/low current power of a panel like yours you will only get the low current at the battery voltage (12 volts in your case) . Your 130 watt panel will act like a 40 watt panel. .

The first thing you should do is verify your controller is real or fake. If fake, get a real one.
      2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Oh damn, here we go. I am having editing issues. PLEASE SEE ATTACHED FILE IN MY SECOND POST if you wish to reply for now.

It's a real MPPT, FWIW.

Comment

Your MPPT controller is likely fake, there are not very many real 20A MPPT controllers out there. A good way to know if it is fake, How much did you pay for it? Less than $100 is a total fake. Most real MPPT CC's are 40amp and up. and cost in excess of $300.

Comment

Originally posted by Logan5 View Post
            Your MPPT controller is likely fake, there are not very many real 20A MPPT controllers out there. A good way to know if it is fake, How much did you pay for it? Less than $100 is a total fake. Most real MPPT CC's are 40amp and up. and cost in excess of $300.
            AAAAARRRGHHHHHHH - please, I screwed this topic up by copy-pasting, and only a fraction of the entire post appeared. Please, stop responding. Hopefully it gets deleted by a mod soon...

Comment

Working...
            X