Solar panels showing no amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar panels showing no amps

I bought 2 100W panels, a P30L 30A PWM charge controller, and a 100ah battery from windynation that I just got around to installing. I have the two panels wired in parallel to the charge controller. The Voc of the panel is 21.6V and the Imp is 5.75A for each panel. I used the supplied 12 awg wire and used a 20A, 12awg inline fuse on the positive before it connects to the charge controller. I hooked up the battery to the controller first, with 8 awg wire with a battery cut off switch and a 40A, 8 awg maxi inline fuse on the positive connection. The fuse is in between the battery cut off switch and the positive post of the battery. I accidentally bought a 2 battery selector on/off switch but selecting just the one hooked up battery seems to work. When I hook up both the battery and panels, the controller shows that it recognizes the panels (solar panel icon isn't flashing) but it never indicates its drawing energy from them, as it would with a black flashing arrow. (It also shows it has drawn 0 amps from the panels) I tested each panel separately in direct sunlight with a multimeter and they both showed about 20.6 volts but 0 amps. I have pictures of me testing the panels and also of my setup. Any help is much appreciated!
    Attached Files

It's strange that you aren't measuring amps through the meter connected directly to the panels. I assume they are in direct sunlight. Is there any chance you've previously blown the fuse in the meter? Edit: I see the 10A position is unfused. I'm at a loss, unless you have the positive from one panel and the negative from the other.
    Last edited by sdold; 08-01-2018, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I'm fairly certain I was testing the cables correctly because I've tested them a few times with the same results. Also, the charge controller says it has received a total of 0 amps from the panels.

Comment

Did you test your meter against a known load? Grab a 1k resistor, put in series with the meter and a 12v batt. See if it reads anything. If it's zero, either your fuse is blown or your meter is otherwise toast on amp measurement.
        https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?sid=54099

Comment

Working...
        X