Off grid inverter/charger shopping

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EMPengineer1776
    • Jul 2018

Sorry I tried to post a link to data that compares many On/Off Grid Inverters. Here is the unbiased data.

[ mod note - this chart leaves out some major inverters, and has been reported to be inaccurate in several other respects,
    with the possibility the poster has something to gain, as he has repeatedly tried to link or otherwise publish this suspect data ]

DarfonChartBW.jpg
    Last edited by Mike90250; 07-26-2018, 07:31 PM.

Comment

• ButchDeal
      Solar Fanatic
      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by EMPengineer1776
      Sorry I tried to post a link to data that compares many On/Off Grid Inverters. Here is the unbiased data.
      [COLOR=#800080] [ mod edit - this is NOT a complete listing of major inverter mfg's ]
      This most certainly is biased, and inaccurate. Also several of these includeing the powerwall and storedge are not rated for off grid.
      OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Nuke the SOB SPAMMER

MSEE, PE

Comment

• EMPengineer1776
          • Jul 2018

Originally posted by ButchDeal

This most certainly is biased, and inaccurate. Also several of these includeing the powerwall and storedge are not rated for off grid.
          Actually, I was trying to share the differences between different designs: DC coupled vs. AC coupled vs. DC Transformerless. And even sharing data that is not present. I was trying to educate, not promote.
          I just got back from presenting at Intersolar. Outback, Magnum, Sonnen, Midnight, Morningstar, press and others were discussing this chart for 3 days. We have a lot of mutual respect. Not a single expert said any data was wrong. So I would challenge you to show me a single spec that is incorrect!
          Thanks for being so open to discuss ideas. We are all entitled to our own opinions, but not our own facts.
          Feel free to delete my account.

Comment

• ButchDeal
            Solar Fanatic
            • Apr 2014

Actually, I was trying to share the differences between different designs: DC coupled vs. AC coupled vs. DC Transformerless. And even sharing data that is not present. I was trying to educate, not promote.
            I just got back from presenting at Intersolar. Outback, Magnum, Sonnen, Midnight, Morningstar, press and others were discussing this chart for 3 days. We have a lot of mutual respect. Not a single expert said any data was wrong. So I would challenge you to show me a single spec that is incorrect!
            Thanks for being so open to discuss ideas. We are all entitled to our own opinions, but not our own facts.
            Feel free to delete my account.
            Ok solaredge has a web based graphic monitoring system including a smart ohine app.
            outback has a graphic disolay on the Mate3 that gives local graphs as well as remote monitoring.
            i am not sure where the solardge pv to battery efficiency of 91,2% comes from, should be much higher unless the lg battery has efficiency issues.
            solaredge storedge can do stacking of inverters and batteries.
            solaredge is one of the easiest DIY installs avaialable and outback has the flexpower series that makes DIY very easy as well.

Storedge can do higher wattage with two stacked batteries as well.
            For powerwall it mxes powerwall inverter and string ( not specified) inverter details.

Comment

• Mike90250
              • May 2009

Actually, I was trying to share the differences between different designs: DC coupled vs. AC coupled vs. DC Transformerless. ....
              Sadly, the chart does not show those distinctions and most consumer and industry specs, don't lay that out either.
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• EMPengineer1776
                • Jul 2018

Originally posted by ButchDeal
                Ok solaredge has a web based graphic monitoring system including a smart ohine app.
                outback has a graphic disolay on the Mate3 that gives local graphs as well as remote monitoring.
                i am not sure where the solardge pv to battery efficiency of 91,2% comes from, should be much higher unless the lg battery has efficiency issues.
                solaredge storedge can do stacking of inverters and batteries.
                solaredge is one of the easiest DIY installs avaialable and outback has the flexpower series that makes DIY very easy as well.

Storedge can do higher wattage with two stacked batteries as well.
                For powerwall it mxes powerwall inverter and string ( not specified) inverter details.
                I wish you would have started with some intelligent statements like the ones above instead of filtering, false statements, and making me feel really unwelcome as a new person trying to contribute to this blog. We actually buy inverters and test them on the bench when the manufacturer doesn't publish some specs. We are experts in inverter design methodology.
                FYI, the Solar Edge PV to Batt efficiency is: 96.5% DC/DC Inverter x 94.5% DC/DC of battery = 91%. The 380V LG battery is only 50V internally and there are significant conversion losses. You lose 18% in round trip efficiency excluding losses in the LG NMC 50V battery (which all batteries have and LG is just fine).

Powerwall2 requires a string inverter to be a fair comparison to other systems and their' efficiency is pretty standard.

Comment

• EMPengineer1776
                  • Jul 2018

Originally posted by Mike90250

Sadly, the chart does not show those distinctions and most consumer and industry specs, don't lay that out either.
                  I agree. The chart just compares specs of similar type setups but if you know solar, you will see it includes DC/AC/Transformerless DC systems. If you attend SPI, you are welcome to attend the presentation that explains the benefits and drawbacks of each type system. I do not feel welcome explaining it on this forum.

I would appreciate you taking off your comment of misleading information on the table (because there is absolutely none). Or feel free to delete the table.
                  Last edited by EMPengineer1776; 07-20-2018, 04:36 PM.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Apr 2014

I wish you would have started with some intelligent statements like the ones above instead of filtering, false statements, and making me feel really unwelcome as a new person trying to contribute to this blog. We actually buy inverters and test them on the bench when the manufacturer doesn't publish some specs. We are experts in inverter design methodology.
                    FYI, the Solar Edge PV to Batt efficiency is: 96.5% DC/DC Inverter x 94.5% DC/DC of battery = 91%. The 380V LG battery is only 50V internally and there are significant conversion losses. You lose 18% in round trip efficiency excluding losses in the LG NMC 50V battery (which all batteries have and LG is just fine).

Powerwall2 requires a string inverter to be a fair comparison to other systems and their' efficiency is pretty standard.
                    Solaredge PV to battery doesn't use the inverter, just the optimizers which are > 99% efficient
                    The inverter is also > 99% efficient as well though not involved in the PV to battery set up.

on the powerwall, yes of course it requires a string inverter but the chart doesn't specify WHICH string inverter is used though it does specify stats from this unspecified string inverter.

There are two RESU models, one is 48V and can be expended with other 48V models. The RESU10H can NOT be expended with 48V models. The two are not compatible.
                    Do you have specs that the RESU10H is internally 48V?
                    However the StorEdge can connect TWO RESU10H systems either in parallel or series (added peak W or added run time).

Comment

• Mike90250
                      • May 2009

I agree. The chart just compares specs of similar type setups but if you know solar, you will see it includes DC/AC/Transformerless DC systems. If you attend SPI, you are welcome to attend the presentation that explains the benefits and drawbacks of each type system. I do not feel welcome explaining it on this forum.

I would appreciate you taking off your comment of misleading information on the table (because there is absolutely none). Or feel free to delete the table.
                      This forum is more focused on the consumer side of solar, not so much the sales side. We can pull the whole thread, because w/out the chart, there's not much left.

I feel if some mfg is going to publish a chart, it should include all commonly available products, and not leave out some of the major players. Midnight did their CC comparisons w/out Morningstar, and I whine about that one too.

A half baked chart is worse than none. If the average Joe doesn't know what's NOT on the chart, it's useless except as a misleading sales tool.

As to misleading info, I relied more on Butch's comment, who's been around a bit, as opposed to the new kid. So Butch should show me what was misleading.
                      I know it's not complete, totally left of Schneider's gear.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

• Mike90250
                        • May 2009

We question authority , no matter who.

Comment

Working...