Off Grid Cabin-Weekender-Air Condition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OldSmokey View Post

quite true, you couldn't pay me to live there...
    Opinions vary.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

Opinions vary.
      For the right amount of money with the caveat I can pick where to live like Morro Bay or Pacifica I could be paid to live there. Most of my income is tax free now days, so CA would get little help from me other than Sales, Property, and Gas tax.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post

For the right amount of money with the caveat I can pick where to live like Morro Bay or Pacifica I could be paid to live there. Most of my income is tax free now days, so CA would get little help from me other than Sales, Property, and Gas tax.
        Drive an EV and you can get past the Gas Tax.

Comment

Yea, nice places and climates (except for most of the summer - too much fog/cloudy weather for me), but too many snotty buttholes that require more time and effort avoiding than fits my tolerance level. Money is not the only or even the primary consideration for some. If money or the cost of living were my biggest concerns, I'd have stayed in Buffalo. I'm pretty sure a lot of the folks in TX and other parts of the U.S. south of the Mason-Dixon line are just as happy I'm not their neighbor. Pay your money, take your choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
            Drive an EV and you can get past the Gas Tax.
            That needs to come to an END.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

I'd have stayed in Buffalo.
              Only two seasons in Buffalo NY. 4th of July and Winter. Where I live now is Spring 364 days a year. Never gets hotter than 85, and never colder than 55. Weather Forecaster heaven. Highs in the mid 80's, lows in the mid 50's with a chance of morning and afternoon showers.
              Last edited by Sunking; 06-19-2018, 04:54 PM.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

That needs to come to an END.
                It will when they install GPS in the EV's and then every car. ding ding ding. Oh, we noticed you spent 4 hours at 86MPH last month, the fee for that is $7,893.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Only two seasons in Buffalo NY. 4th of July and Winter. Where I live now is Spring 364 days a year. Never gets hotter than 85, and never colder than 55. Weather Forecaster heaven. Highs in the mid 80's, lows in the mid 50's with a chance of morning and afternoon showers.
                  And the favorite outdoor summer activity is 3 months of bad/mud skiing. But the area has some of the nicest folks in the world - almost but not quite nice enough to make up for the winters - and that's saying a lot.

Anyway, back on topic.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
                    It will when they install GPS in the EV's
                    Does not take GPS, just an odometer. States have already figured it out, just have not implemented yet. Done based on mileage when you pay for your yearly vehicle tag.
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

I'm back at it again trying to figure out a solution as running power will be a significant cost. Would replacing the current AC mini split with a DC power mini split with solar power be adequate or would adding solar panels be a better use of money?

Comment

Nope still need the real expensive batteries.
                        MSEE, PE

Comment

Understood-I am being quoted $20K to have power run to my cabin so I understand there will be significant cost. Lets work on a system!

Comment

Originally posted by ZachI View Post
                            Understood-I am being quoted $20K to have power run to my cabin so I understand there will be significant cost. Lets work on a system!
                            $20k is cheap.
                            Does your utility have net metering?
                            OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

I believe so but I haven't had a chance to verify.

Comment

Originally posted by ZachI View Post
                                Understood-I am being quoted $20K to have power run to my cabin
                                Heck of a lot less expensive than solar and worth every penny. If you have Net Metering a small grid tied system will net 0 usage and even build credits, so no significant bills to speak of other than the monthly connection fees and taxes on the power you generate and give away.

That is the best advice you are going to get. Reality suks sometimes, especially since they quit teaching economics and critical thinking skills in schools 30 years ago.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
                                X