What would you build?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Moleman
    • Jun 2018

I'm just here to learn dude. Sorry if I went a little overboard but the thread is about ideas for a simple little solar project. If you think I shouldn't do anything with them at all okay, your input has been registered.-------
    Last edited by Mike90250; 06-15-2018, 08:13 PM. Reason: moderator edit

Comment

• sdold
      • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Moleman
      This is a project to teach my kid about the basics of electricity (and to brush up on it myself). So keep in mind before bashing it, this is meant to be fun/educational.
      Sounds like a fun project, I'd do it. You might not end up with anything practical, but it beats video games or building M-80s. Learning about solar on a small scale would be fun but learning the limitations of solar technically and economically would be good for a kid too, in a world where people are telling them "anything is possible."

Comment

• Moleman
        • Jun 2018

Originally posted by sdold
        Sounds like a fun project, I'd do it. You might not end up with anything practical, but it beats video games or building M-80s. Learning about solar on a small scale would be fun but learning the limitations of solar technically and economically would be good for a kid too, in a world where people are telling them "anything is possible."
        Yeah, I'm hoping it will be fun. I'm learning a lot myself at the same time. It's definitely not something I intend to spend a lot of $$$ on. I'm wondering about the possibility of connecting directly to the modules like a 12v automotive outlet or usb ports, in order to skip the battery bank. Would I still need a charge controller even for that, or is there another practical way?

Comment

• sdold
          • Jun 2014

The first thing you'll learn playing with the panels is that they are more of a constant-current source, not a fixed voltage source like a battery. An educational thing for you would be to take a panel, put it in the sun, and connect a voltmeter across it and an ammeter in series with it and try different value resistors across the panel to see what it takes to get the most power (volts X current) out of the panel. You'll soon see that there is a particular value that lets the panel operate at its max power (Vmp X Imp). You'll see what happens in low light conditions too. You'll understand at that point why it's not efficient and sometimes unsafe to simply connect the panel to a battery. For a proper system you'll need at least the panel(s), charge controller, and battery. Instead of thinking "what can I make?", think "what can I learn?"

If you do this, make sure the resistor wattage ratings can handle the expected power (volts X amps). Just do it with one panel to start out with.
          Last edited by sdold; 06-15-2018, 09:51 PM.

Comment

• Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Moleman
            I'm just here to learn dude. Sorry if I went a little overboard but the thread is about ideas for a simple little solar project. If you think I shouldn't do anything with them at all okay, your input has been registered.-------
            Never said you could not do something with it. The simplest thing is to use one panel and get one of the cheap Computer fans and run it directly from a single panel. To go beyond a single panel experiment will start to cost some bucks requiring a charge controller and battery with very little energy to show for it.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

• Mike90250
              • May 2009

Also, automotive 12v bulbs are god to use, they are like resistors, but with visible feedback.. Look at the small ones, like for side marker lights
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...