What would you build?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you build?

I was recently gifted 5 15w, amorphous 12v modules. I think they were bought with a harbor freight kit a few years ago. Assuming 70% efficiency from the modules, I can generate ~50w at 12v. What would you do with 50w of free panels??? I'm looking for ideas. Are they even worth messing with? I was thinking about using them to run a fan in the my shop (only during daylight of course). Do they make DC fans or will I need an inverter? It seems silly getting an inverter for 50w...

Probably the best item that came with those HF panels were the DC lamps. IMO a couple of very low wattage LED DC lamps would be the limit I would expect to work with those panels.

You can find a number of DC fans that work well with solar panels. I actually have a 12 inch roof vent fan and a 10 watt panel that works just fine together.
    Last edited by SunEagle; 06-14-2018, 02:54 PM. Reason: added last sentence

Comment

Those Harbor Freight panels don't last more than a couple years in continuous use.
      2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Well with five of those panels to use as frames would make a nice box or trash bin. I hope they came with the factory cardboard box because they are worth more than the panels.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by littleharbor View Post
          Those Harbor Freight panels don't last more than a couple years in continuous use.
          And best used for target practice.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

And best used for target practice.
            Some of my paper targets are thicker then those panels.

Comment

Good thing they were free right?

I put the multimeter on them and it looks like I'm getting about 1A (21w @ 22v) off of them. I could charge a cell phone, but I need to lower the voltage right?

Comment

That would be open circuit voltage. Under load the voltage and current will be lower. I believe those panels are rated at 15 watts
                2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Originally posted by littleharbor View Post
                  That would be open circuit voltage. Under load the voltage and current will be lower. I believe those panels are rated at 15 watts
                  They were advertised as 15w I believe, but they are several years old. 5 in parallel are giving me those readings.

Comment

This is a project to teach my kid about the basics of electricity (and to brush up on it myself). So keep in mind before bashing it, this is meant to be fun/educational.

Comment

It will require a battery and charge controller, or about $75 to generate 1-cent of electricity per day. Then about 2 or 3 years time to replace the battery. How is that for fun and education?
                      MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                        It will require a battery and charge controller, or about $75 to generate 1-cent of electricity per day. Then about 2 or 3 years time to replace the battery. How is that for fun and education?
                        Because you would learn how chargers and solar panels work.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                          Yeah. I think that the HF panels would be just fine for kids to learn a little something about solar. Think about all the "experiments" you did in grammar school and were they worth the cost?

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

Yeah. I think that the HF panels would be just fine for kids to learn a little something about solar. Think about all the "experiments" you did in grammar school and were they worth the cost?
                            Yeah for a computer fan running 5 watts. But what is not learned or taught in schools is economics. That part is hidden from the public.

MSEE, PE

Comment

So everyone tells you the box they came in is worth more then the panels and I am the bad guy for being honest?
                              MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
                              X