Is this Victron 75/15 safe/damaged?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this Victron 75/15 safe/damaged?

So I purchased a Victron 75/15 bluetooth mppt off Ebay. Seller stated it was new but had clearly been repacked in old (original) packaging and wrapped in bubble wrap. Few scratches that suggest use or constant rubbing in bad packaging over a period of time or possibly second hand? Purchased with 20% discount code on Ebay and seller offering a further $15 off rather than post it back or else a new one. Main concern for me are these crystals that I can see if I look into the underside of it - I don't know what they are, they appear like salt but are bigger and don't appear to dissolve. Are these a major concern and could they damage the unit?

Thanks!
    Attached Files

At least you didn't pay to have a concrete brick shipped to you. What you see is NOT normal.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by DavidH View Post
      I don't know what they are, they appear like salt but are bigger and don't appear to dissolve. Are these a major concern and could they damage the unit?

Thanks!
      Looks like sand in the potting compound. That's a common way to "stretch" potting material.

Comment

Yeah I'm not sure it's worth the risk - I'm pretty sure if it had to go in for repairs in the future that stuff might be something they bring up as an issue, despite the five year warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
          At least you didn't pay to have a concrete brick shipped to you. What you see is NOT normal.
          haha very true!

Comment

It looks like on its previous life was installed above the battery bank and those white cristals are from acid vapour. If you see blemishes on the carcas paint that could be acid vapours, that reacted with the aluminium heat sink and cover. Also high humidity does almost the same.

Comment

This item was returned to the seller along with a bad review - not worth taking the chance. Thanks for the input!

Comment

Working...
              X