X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • leosantamana
    • Aug 2017

Here's what I have, please help me fill in the blanks

Okay, here's my second post. To recap the goal:
    I want to tinker. I will be having some 12 volt landscape lights (maybe 100 watts worth) which will come on at dark automatically. I do not expect this system to save me money, as I know what I already have into it, I could power my lights for a thousand years....

I live in Georgia, and have good full sun for about 1/2 the day to place my panels.

I picked up 3 Goal Zero Boulder 90's last week. They are rated at 90 watts each, 18-22 volts. I have the splitters that will bring them into a single positive and negative output (So, if i were in blazing sun, I would get 270 watts output, I know, probably more like 200 watts).
    I ordered the following, and expect to have them tomorrow:
    SolarEpic 40A MPPT Solar Charge Controller 100V input Tracer A Series 4210A With Display
    The SolarEpic MT-50 Remote Meter LCD Display to go with it.

This leaves me with buying a battery setup for it. As mentioned about, the total load will be less than 100 watts @12 volts, running about 8 hours per night.

A couple of questions for the solar experts:
    1. Would a 100ah battery be about right, too small, too big?
    2. Would you go with more, if so, how would you wire together?
    3. Can I simply run my 12 volt landscape wire directly off the battery (perhaps with an inline fuse in case wire gets broken/chewed in the circuit)
    4. What else should I consider for this setup?

Any thoughts (please be gentle) would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance
  • Suprasoup
    • Oct 2017

100Watts x 8hrs =800Wh

800Wh x 1.5 fudge factor= 1200Wh

Solar Array Sizing

1200Wh/sun hrs. (Georgia gets 3.7 in December. )

1200Wh/3.7 = 324W Array

Battery Sizing

Daily Wh x 5 =

800Wh x 5 = 4000Wh

4000Wh/12V = 333Ah Battery

100Ah battery would be way too small.

2. 2 x 6v L16 sized batteries would do nicely. Wire the batteries in series.

Have fun tinkering

Comment

• jflorey2
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by leosantamana
      A couple of questions for the solar experts:
      1. Would a 100ah battery be about right, too small, too big?
      2. Would you go with more, if so, how would you wire together?
      3. Can I simply run my 12 volt landscape wire directly off the battery (perhaps with an inline fuse in case wire gets broken/chewed in the circuit)
      4. What else should I consider for this setup?
      Well, first question - what is your goal? To play, with money being no object? In that case, you'd want between about 100 and 210 amp hours to match the solar. Two T105's would _probably_ work. However, you should really be designing for a minimum of 3 days runtime. So 128 amp hours a night gives you about 400 amp-hours - which means you have to add more solar. With 400 amp hours at 12V you should really move up to 24V, which would be 4 T105's in series. That would require between 500 and 800 watts of solar.

You can use 12V wire. Be sure to fuse the wire appropriately. You will probably be using the load terminal on your charge controller, and that will limit the available current more than 12 gauge wire will. Fuse for the lower of the two ratings.

Comment

• leosantamana
        • Aug 2017

Is the MPPT Charge controller I bought a decent unit? Is 40amp controller enough?

Comment

• leosantamana
          • Aug 2017

Originally posted by Suprasoup
          100Watts x 8hrs =800Wh

800Wh x 1.5 fudge factor= 1200Wh

Solar Array Sizing

1200Wh/sun hrs. (Georgia gets 3.7 in December. )

1200Wh/3.7 = 324W Array

Battery Sizing

Daily Wh x 5 =

800Wh x 5 = 4000Wh

4000Wh/12V = 333Ah Battery

100Ah battery would be way too small.

2. 2 x 6v L16 sized batteries would do nicely. Wire the batteries in series.

Have fun tinkering
          Suprasoup - pardon the ignorance... still learning here.
          I am trying to follow the math...
          Why a 1.5 "Fudge factor"?
          If my solar array is 90(watts)x3=270 watts per hour, right (@100% perfect, so let's cut that to 200 watts per hour) x 4(hours)=800.
          Why "Daily Wh x 5"? Is the "5" the number of days? If so, are you assuming I need 5 days of storage? If so, why 5 and not 3? This assumption increases reserve need by almost 50%.
          Which 6v L16 batteries would you suggest? They will be in average outdoor temps in Georgia, so never too cold.

Comment

• Mike90250
            • May 2009

Which 6v L16 batteries would you suggest? They will be in average outdoor temps in Georgia, so never too cold.
            And i've seen broken water pipes with "ice" flowing out the door of a garage, in Georgia.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• jflorey2
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2015

Is the MPPT Charge controller I bought a decent unit? Is 40amp controller enough?
              At 12V it's marginal. At 24V it would work fine.

Comment

• leosantamana
                • Aug 2017

Originally posted by jflorey2

At 12V it's marginal. At 24V it would work fine.
                When I was deciding on the type of controller, I decided on MPPT, since, from what I read, they are far superior. When I was looking at specs, I saw that (on other web sites) were 4 solar panels (x100 watts each) suggested a 30amp controller, so I figured this had plenty of room to grow. I didn't see many with a lot higher amperage ratings.

Better suggestions?

Comment

• jflorey2
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2015

Better suggestions?
                  The Tristar TS-MPPT-60 is an excellent controller, as are the Outback 60 amp controllers and the Midnite Solar Classics. They are pricey; you get what you pay for. You can get them used for $300 or so.

Comment

• Sunking
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Feb 2010

When I was deciding on the type of controller, I decided on MPPT, since, from what I read, they are far superior. When I was looking at specs, I saw that (on other web sites) were 4 solar panels (x100 watts each) suggested a 30amp controller, so I figured this had plenty of room to grow. I didn't see many with a lot higher amperage ratings.
                    They go up to 100 amps. At 30 ampos you are limited to:

360 watts @ 12 volt battery
                    720 watts @ 24 volt battery
                    1440 watts @ 48 volt battery.

This is going to get real expensive real fast. You do fully understand anything you take off-grid is going to cost you 5 to 10 times more vs just buying it from the POCO? So ask yourself why you want a huge rate increase because that is exactly what you are asking for.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• leosantamana
                      • Aug 2017

Originally posted by Sunking
                      They go up to 100 amps. At 30 ampos you are limited to:

360 watts @ 12 volt battery
                      720 watts @ 24 volt battery
                      1440 watts @ 48 volt battery.

This is going to get real expensive real fast. You do fully understand anything you take off-grid is going to cost you 5 to 10 times more vs just buying it from the POCO? So ask yourself why you want a huge rate increase because that is exactly what you are asking for.
                      Agreed. I think everyone on here (or most) are doing it to save money. They mostly probably like to tinker/design stuff or be prepared for if/when POCO isn't available (either storms or worse).
                      So, I am going into this with my eyes wide open. I could go on a vaca for $2,000 and have a 5 day experience, or I could "tinker" with same $ and have a lifelong experience.

Comment

• leosantamana
                        • Aug 2017

Thoughts on this battery to finish this setup: Renogy Deep Cycle Pure Gel Battery 12V 200Ah

https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-RNG-BA...8W/ref=sr_1_10

Comment

• Sunking
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Feb 2010

Gel batteries are not suitable for solar. They are for alarm and egress lighting lighting applications.
                          MSEE, PE

Comment

• leosantamana
                            • Aug 2017

Ooops, sorry, I copied wrong one. Here's what I am considering:

Start with one of them, add a second if/when I see 100ah is not adequate. 12V 100AH BATTERY FOR SOLAR WIND DEEP CYCLE VRLA 12V 24V 48V - Mighty Max

Thoughts?

Comment

• Suprasoup
                              • Oct 2017

For your first set of batteries stick with Flooded Lead acid. They cost less and are more forgiving of user error. AGM batteries cost more than Flooded and dont last as long.

Comment

Working...