X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BackwoodsEE
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2017

Massive Energy Waste in Off-Grid Configuration

For the past couple of days, I've disconnected my Outback GS8048 hybrid system from the grid and just run the critical loads panel off of pure solar and battery. It's sunny and the days are long, so there's been no problem powering everything. My AGM battery bank (410 Ah) has only gone down to 75% SOC each night with no adjustments to how we live whatsoever.

What really stands out for me, after watching my system produce 35-40 kWh each day when connected (and mostly exporting) to the grid, is how underutilized the PV panels are when off-grid on sunny days. The battery bank finishes bulk charging well before noon, and then the charge controllers throttle down their production over the course of a couple of hours in absorb mode before finally sitting at float where they only produce what's being consumed at the moment, plus a few watts.

Yesterday I hooked up a wall-mounted air conditioner (1.2 kW) and ran it for a few hours in the afternoon just to feel like I was using the otherwise wasted PV power, even though it wasn't that hot outside. Yet I wound up producing a measly 8 kWh for the whole day. That represents lots of wasted capacity.

I'll be resetting the breaker and hooking back up to the grid after the batteries complete their absorb cycle today. Then, of course, the charge controllers will stay in MPPT mode all day long and the PV panels will produce whatever they can, exporting to the grid and earning me credits from the power company. The reductions in my electric bills this spring have been dramatic, I will say.

I designed the system for significant excess capacity during the long sunny days of summer because I want to have some chance of being able to rely on it (with a generator) during the cloudy short days of winter. Spending months "in the trenches" with this hybrid grid-tie/off-grid system is reinforcing an important point I knew before starting this project, which I want to emphasize to others reading this: PV solar is not a way to "stick it to the POCO man" (as Sunking puts it) and gleefully disconnect yourself from the grid with any economic or environmental benefit. The amount of fossil fuel expenditure involved with manufacturing and shipping all the stuff out in my clearing and that solar equipment shed won't get paid for--financially or otherwise--for a long time to come if ever.

Don't get me wrong, I'm having a lot of fun with my expensive toy. Having done the whole installation myself--from the 24-panel ground-mount to building an equipment shed to running conduit--was immensely satisfying. I knew all along that this would never pay for itself and it is a bit of a paranoid prepper hobby. If you want to do this, too, instead of golf or model trains or RC planes or going to Las Vegas twice a year or whatever, then more power to you--no pun intended. Just don't expect that it will have any payback besides personal enjoyment and satisfaction, and maybe, just maybe, a sense that you might be a tiny bit better off drinking your well water, keeping your freezer running, and heating up your cans of beans out in the sticks if the grid goes out for any length of time.
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

You are preaching to the choir.

You and I both knew that from the get go, at least I did. Off-grid solar is a terrible waste of resources and makes them very heavy polluters. You are right, going off grid is a terrible waste robbing future generations. So not only are you screwing yourself, you are hurting everyone on earth here today and future generations. Glad to see someone finally admit after putting it to the real test. So plug it back in and get back on the grid.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• tnt2k03
      • Mar 2018

Originally posted by Sunking
      You are preaching to the choir.

You and I both knew that from the get go, at least I did. Off-grid solar is a terrible waste of resources and makes them very heavy polluters. You are right, going off grid is a terrible waste robbing future generations. So not only are you screwing yourself, you are hurting everyone on earth here today and future generations. Glad to see someone finally admit after putting it to the real test. So plug it back in and get back on the grid.
      Hi, I am new to this forum. I would love to stay grid tied, but my city, Mishawaka, IN not giving me any credit for my solar electricity that goes into the grid. I am off grid at night now, soon will stay off grid in the day as much as I can. Indiana is not a renewable energy friendly state. There is a new bill signed by the governor called, Sell all, Buy all. Technically, all your solar grid tie has to be sold to electric companies at wholesale price, buy back at retail price. You would get paid for your solar electric next to nothing. It seems to me that many states are heading that way. I thought that renew energy is a great thing, but not everyone would think so.

Fortunately, I work for a home care company, and the company let me recycle the old wheel chair batteries. Most of the batteries are AGM, and they still at least 50 or 75% life in them. Now I am able to go off grid at night. So far, I am very happy with the result. I have two solar array, each will produces 3500 watts. Right I am only use one solar array charge the batteries in the day time. One solar array is still grid tied. I already spent money for grid tie solar system, then spent more money for off grid equipment. This hobby is quite expensive. the only thing I get return is on a stormy, my neighborhood is in the dark, and here I am sitting my living room watching TV and having a hot cup of coffee that is brewing from solar electricity. I love it.

Comment

• BackwoodsEE
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jun 2017

I think being stuck with a "buy all, sell all" arrangement would upset me enough to shell out twenty grand for a huge pile of Trojan L16s, buy an extra electric water heater or two to heat up during the day, and cancel my service. Just on the principle of the thing, that I will use the power I generate with my equipment on my property, thank you very much.

It's sort of horrifically amusing that these red states where voters thump away about "Don't Tread on Me" and the gub'mint staying out of their affairs are the very ones passing such government-mandated corporate intrusions into their private property.

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by tnt2k03

Hi, I am new to this forum. I would love to stay grid tied, but my city, Mishawaka, IN not giving me any credit for my solar electricity that goes into the grid. I am off grid at night now, soon will stay off grid in the day as much as I can. Indiana is not a renewable energy friendly state.
          You are still screwing yourself. Anything you take off grid is going to cost you 5 to 10 times more than buying it from the POCO. Enjoy your voluntary rate hike you imposed on yourself.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• azdave
            • Oct 2014

Originally posted by BackwoodsEE
            I will use the power I generate with my equipment on my property, thank you very much.
            All well and good unless you are connected to the grid in any manner. Then they get to make the rules.

Dave W. Gilbert AZ
            6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

• tnt2k03
              • Mar 2018

Originally posted by Sunking
              You are still screwing yourself. Anything you take off grid is going to cost you 5 to 10 times more than buying it from the POCO. Enjoy your voluntary rate hike you imposed on yourself.
              It is true. I agree with you, but I would not screw me more than the city already screwed me. If I don't get off rid, I got nothing for my solar energy generated each day. Mishawaka, IN in particular, not give me any credit, none, not even a cent. The only time I will be at home to use the solar electric is on the weekend when I am not at work. Five days out of seven, getting nothing for solar. Technically, I invested the money to solar system for the benefit of the city. If I go off grid, at least I can use some of that solar energy for myself. Lucky thing is I only buy the inverter. I get the batteries for free from work. They are not new, but usable. The reason I go off grid is just to make me feel better, and let the city knows that, "You can steal my electricity any more", otherwise, I would love to stay grid tied.

Comment

Working...