X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flumes
    • Oct 2017

Grounding Question

I am in a pickle...

(This is for a small 600 watt off grid system for a remote bush camp.)

My charge controller manual (Acopower 40 Amp MPPT) says it is a positive ground charge controller.

My inverter (Aims 24 volt 1500 watt PSW) says it is a negative ground inverter.

Can I use these two devices in the same system? Or do I have to do some more shopping

Thanks in advance

<stop laughing> lol
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Yes if you know what you are doing, but I am not going to help you or tell you how. Just too dangerous and too many things that can go wrong. I suggest getting a CC and Inverter that do not reference any battery polarity to the chassis. That is what you should have done to begin with.

Perhaps someone else will tell you and take responsibility. I am not going to do it. I suggest the MODS close this thread immediately.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• Flumes
      • Oct 2017

I understand. Thank you for your advice.
      Just ordered a Renogy 40 MPPT charge controller and ensured it had a negative ground.

Glad I asked
      Last edited by Flumes; 05-25-2018, 11:30 PM.

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

Once you graduate beyond a couple flashlight batteries, systems really have to be designed, unless your test site is a concrete wall bunker and you don't mind spending money on gear that won't do what was expected.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...