Wire size from batteries to inverter Question.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flumes
    • Oct 2017

Wire size from batteries to inverter Question.

I have 6 - 12volt batteries that are 105 Amp-Hour each. I would like to make a 24 volt battery bank. I would like to wire 3 pairs of batteries in series, and then parallel them before the 1500 Watt/24 Volt inverter.
    Questions:

Am I right to assume this will equal 315 amp hours total at 24 volts to inverter?

The batteries have bus bar connectors to make series connection for 24 volts. What size cable would be needed for the parallel connections and the connections to the inverter?

Should the charge controller wires be hooked up to the opposite terminals of the load side of the batteries?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Flumes; 05-24-2018, 09:03 PM.
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Flumes
    1500 Watt/24 Volt inverter.
    Questions:

Am I right to assume this will equal 315 amp hours total at 24 volts to inverter?
    Yes that would be 315 AH @ 24 volts.

Originally posted by Flumes
    The batteries have bus bar connectors to make series connection for 24 volts. What size cable would be needed for the parallel connections and the connections to the inverter?
    80 amp minimum requirement is 4 AWG up to 15-feet.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• Flumes
      • Oct 2017

Thanks Sunking. Much respect.

I have a bunch of 2 AWG that I was hoping would be adequate and am happy to be able to put it to use.

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

Too bad you already have the batteries and will be having to wire 3 strings in parallel.

When they prematurely fail, check in with us about a better way to wire with 6V batteries and fewer cells to check water levels on.

In the meantime, read here http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html
        about better ways to wire batteries in parallel
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Flumes
          • Oct 2017

Thank you for replying Mike. Yes, I understand the parallel configuration would be best avoided.

(I acquired a remote bush camp that needs alot of work. Before I invest alot of money into something I'm not sure I am going to enjoy, I am trying to make use of materials that I have available. The batteries were freebies.)

When this battery system dies, I will take your advice and go with a 24v system made up of 6 volt batteries in series.

Thanks for your advice

Comment

Working...