Charge Controller Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charge Controller Question

Greatings every1 there is a question id like to ask about i hope you guys can help me

is about charge controller

will it cut the solar panel power automatically when the inverter charger starts to kick in?

Originally posted by Percival View Post
    will it cut the solar panel power automatically when the inverter charger starts to kick in?
    No, typically the charge controller effectively disconnects the solar panel from the battery when it senses that the battery has received a full charge, The inverter is a separate device connected to the battery that provides AC power and may have the ability to shut itself off when the battery charge state drops below a certain point. The charge controller and inverter are separate and don't interact except to the extent that one is charging the battery while the other is draining it.

Comment

Originally posted by Percival View Post
      Greatings every1 there is a question id like to ask about i hope you guys can help me

is about charge controller

It depends. Some systems communicate like the outback charge controller and inverter. It cuts the voltage to just above the battery voltage so that the inverter can continue to invert and send power to the grid or loads but the battery is not over charged. If they do not then the CC would cut power or disconnect from the batter but the inverter would draw down the batter voltage and the CC would come back on...
      OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

It is simple Ohm's Law. When Charge Voltage and Battery Voltage are equal, no current flows. For a battery to charge, the charger voltage must be higher state than the battery voltage.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Thanks for the info it really helps a lot

Comment

Originally posted by sdold View Post
            inverter are separate and don't interact except to the extent that one is charging the battery while the other is draining it.
            That was a bad way to word it, I'm surprised you guys let me get away with that.

How about this? A battery is a credit card, the husband is the charge controller, and his wife is the inverter, and their kids are the load.

Last edited by sdold; 05-19-2018, 03:42 PM.

Comment

That was a bad way to word it, I'm surprised you guys let me get away with that.

How about this? A battery is a credit card, the husband is the charge controller, and his wife is the inverter, and their kids are the load.
              I just concentrated on moving the OP's post and yours to a new thread. I didn't read them.

Comment

So the solar array is.... the husbands employer??
                2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Originally posted by littleharbor View Post

So the solar array is.... the husbands employer??
                  Yeah, that works. Also it's worth mentioning that when it comes to inverters, smaller is better (as long as the loads are handled) because an oversize inverter can consume quite a bit of energy from the battery, even when sitting idle.

Comment

Working...
                  X