Numbers on my charge controller don't make sense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Numbers on my charge controller don't make sense

I have three 150 watt 18v panels in parallel in a 12v system, I have 8 metre AWG 7 wires (10mm cross section), I have a 50 amp PWM charge controller/inverter (hybrid). Today was very sunny and hot, the 200AH gel battery is being charged but is showing 0 amps and 12.2 volts for the battery and the PV voltage was 19v for a short while but has been stuck at 12v for most of the day. The sun is fully reaching the panels and there is no shade.

The highest I have seen the charging reach is 23 amps and 13.8 volts. I have never seen it go higher even though I have selected the "AGM" setting which allows the voltage to reach 14.1v (the "flooded" seeings which allows it to reach 14.6v also did not help).

Today at one point the charge was at 8 amps but when I removed washing machine off the electricity it jumped to 15 amps immediately (????).

What's confusing is that the battery is more than half discharged and yet the amps are still 0 when the sun is out and shining.

Could anybody help me figure out what is going on?

What is the model # of the inverter controller? Have never seen a controller/inverter. You might do a lot better charging through a dedicated charge controller. Many of these combination components leave a lot to be desired.
    2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Originally posted by SunSeeker1 View Post
      I have three 150 watt 18v panels in parallel in a 12v system, I have 8 metre AWG 7 wires (10mm cross section), I have a 50 amp PWM charge controller/inverter (hybrid). Today was very sunny and hot, the 200AH gel battery is being charged but is showing 0 amps and 12.2 volts for the battery and the PV voltage was 19v for a short while but has been stuck at 12v for most of the day.

Today at one point the charge was at 8 amps but when I removed washing machine off the electricity it jumped to 15 amps immediately (????).
      You are running a washing machine from a 12V system with 450w of solar on a 50a PWM CC and a 200Ah GEL!! battery
      What size and model inverter do you have?

wow it is like people don't even read the posts on this forum before building systems.....
      OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Originally posted by littleharbor View Post
        What is the model # of the inverter controller? Have never seen a controller/inverter. You might do a lot better charging through a dedicated charge controller. Many of these combination components leave a lot to be desired.
        https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.aliex...848399418.html

It's this one

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post

You are running a washing machine from a 12V system with 450w of solar on a 50a PWM CC and a 200Ah GEL!! battery
          What size and model inverter do you have?

wow it is like people don't even read the posts on this forum before building systems.....
          Highest I've seen washing machine reach is 240 watts, my inverter can handle 800w. I just posted the link to my inverter, what's the problem with the setup exactly?
          Last edited by SunSeeker1; 05-18-2018, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Your gel battery dried out.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
              Your gel battery dried out.
              I doubt it since it's new and all.

Comment

Highest I've seen washing machine reach is 240 watts, my inverter can handle 800w. I just posted the link to my inverter, what's the problem with the setup exactly?
                motor draws a lot of amps when it starts.
                Your Gel battery also can not handle this discharge or your 50a charger.

Comment

I doubt it since it's new and all.
                  it is new therefore it is ok??
                  Gel batteries are not appropriate for solar use. The problem gets worse on small 12V systems, for Gel batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post

motor draws a lot of amps when it starts.
                    Your Gel battery also can not handle this discharge or your 50a charger.
                    Max my panels can charge it is 25 amps so it's not reaching 50. Also on the battery is written "Max initial current is 45 amps". It should be ok from that perspective I think.

Comment

Max my panels can charge it is 25 amps so it's not reaching 50. Also on the battery is written "Max initial current is 45 amps". It should be ok from that perspective I think.
                      Then there is no problem.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
                      X