system design for solar power for cabin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• system design for solar power for cabin

Hi, I have a small cabin with a solar setup consisting of a 275w 12v panel, tracer 1210 mppt controller, two 70ah lead-carbon deep cycle batteries. The cabin is wired for lights and 12v sockets. I don't use an inverter

I want to run 4 x 12v led lights, a small 12/24v fridge that draws about 2-3amps when its running on 12v and a 12v phone charger occasionally. My question is do i wire the batteries in parallel to run on 12v or can I wire in series to produce 24v and take advantage of better efficiencies.

Will using 24v cause problems with the lights, phone charger etc? The controller is 24v capable.

Is my 10amp mppt controller enough or do i need to upgrade?

Would it be better to wire the fridge directly to the battery instead of going through the controller?

Thanks

Originally posted by Kapai View Post
    Hi, I have a small cabin with a solar setup consisting of a 275w 12v panel, tracer 1210 mppt controller, two 70ah lead-carbon deep cycle batteries. The cabin is wired for lights and 12v sockets. I don't use an inverter

I want to run 4 x 12v led lights, a small 12/24v fridge that draws about 2-3amps when its running on 12v and a 12v phone charger occasionally. My question is do i wire the batteries in parallel to run on 12v or can I wire in series to produce 24v and take advantage of better efficiencies.

Will using 24v cause problems with the lights, phone charger etc? The controller is 24v capable.
    Have you looked at the specs for your lights and phone charger? what are the input voltage ranges? There are USB car adapters that are rated 12-24V

Originally posted by Kapai View Post
    Would it be better to wire the fridge directly to the battery instead of going through the controller?

Generally Charge Controllers load ports are for low amp loads you can check the specs but I would not wire the fridge through it.

Last edited by ButchDeal; 05-18-2018, 04:38 PM.
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

275 watt 12 volt panel, hmmm. Specs on this panel? A 10 amp controller is too small for that panel into a 12 volt system. At 24 volts you would be fine except you need high enough voltage into your controller to charge a 24 volt bank. MPPT controllers need higher voltage input than the charging output voltage to work properly. I have a feeling your panel is either a 60 cell, 20 volt nominal , or a 72 cell 24 volt nominal panel. A 72 cell panel will work but you really need higher voltage to charge a 24 volt battery the way this controller is intended to work.
      As to running your 12 volt lighting and other stuff on a 24 volt bank I think I'll let others here comment.
      2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Specs:
        Peak Power (Pmax) 270w
        Max Power Voltage (Vmp) 31.48V
        Max Power Current (Imp) 8.6A
        Open Circuit Voltage (Voc) 38.5
        Short Circuit Current (Isc) 9.1A
        Size: 1650x992x35mm
        Weight: 18kg
        Type: Poly 60 cell

Comment

This 60 cell panel is considered a 20 volt "nominal" panel when is normal warm to hot operating conditions the voltage will drop to a point that may not be high enough to properly charge a 24 volt battery. Your options are use it for 12 volt charging with a minimum, 20 amp MPPT controller. or get another panel for 24 volt charging and a 20 amp minimum, controller.
          2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Working...
          X