X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike90250
    replied
    Originally posted by wetsu151 View Post
    .....that looks to be closer to the most efficient input voltage for the flexmax 60.....
    Most MPPT controllers want to see 1.5 to 2.5x battery voltage. The further you get from the battery voltage, the harder the MPPT works and heats from losses.
    Too low, and you have trouble EQ the cells

Leave a comment:

• wetsu151
    replied
    Can't edit last post, continued here
    at that temp extreme it comes out overvoltage, plus , if I wire them 2 in series the Vmp is 75.2
    that looks to be closer to the most efficient input voltage for the flexmax 60
    thanks
    dave

Leave a comment:

• wetsu151
    replied
    What is your recommendation on stringing these, I got a great deal on some GCL Solar panels , 325watt
    the specs are Vmp 37.6
    Imp 8.64
    Voc 46
    Isc 9.24
    if I run 3 in series it puts me at 151 volts Voc @ 40-32
    Last edited by wetsu151; 05-05-2018, 08:35 AM. Reason: Missed something

Leave a comment:

• Sunking
    replied
    Determine max connected load that wil be on at the same time x 1.25

You want the Inverter or genny to be 75% loaded.

Leave a comment:

• wetsu151
    replied
    Oh boy, this gets interesting
    I was reading the outback inverter specs for the VFXR3648A and noticed that when only pulling 500 watts from it, the efficiency is horrible.

It does not get to a good percentage until your pulling 1k from it.

That will kill my mini-split a/c draw of only 500watts idea

What do I need ? a much smaller inverter ?
    Thanks

Leave a comment:

• jflorey2
    replied
    Yes, cheaper for a smaller generator. We currently run a diesel kubota setup at 9.5kw rating. It's not loud but we just want to get away from running it all the time. I do have sun electronics here and can get modules for 50 cents a watt. Already bought a new outback flexmax 60 for 350.00 new . Big expense is those damn batteries
    Yes, batteries are expensive (and heavy, and short lived.)

If you don't want to run the 9500 watt diesel gen, then get a smaller one that barely supports your minimum loads and use that for most of your power. Or get a slightly larger one and charge a small bank periodically as SK mentioned.

If you want to get solar, they can extend the times that the generator doesn't run - and can extend the life of your batteries by keeping them at a high SOC (at least for lead acid.) But it's generally not worth it to try to cover 100% of an intermittent load with solar.

Leave a comment:

• Sunking
    replied
    Yes, cheaper for a smaller generator. We currently run a diesel kubota setup at 9.5kw rating. It's not loud but we just want to get away from running it all the time. I do have sun electronics here and can get modules for 50 cents a watt.
    You do not need the solar. Get a battery charger and run it off the genny like a hybrid vehicle. When the battery gets low, the generator runs and recharges the batteries and shuts off. Repeat

Leave a comment:

• wetsu151
    replied
    If I can claim the 30% federal tax break it makes it a little bit easier, we are looking 4 peace and quite also, and 4-5 months the weather is nice enough to not need the air conditioner.
    so my next thought is maybe set this up small now, just 4 led lights and small loads. I have found the 48volt mini-split air conditioners that look promising, maybe only pulling 4kv a night.
    I see the tax credit is going away by 2020 though

Leave a comment:

• wetsu151
    replied
    Yes, cheaper for a smaller generator. We currently run a diesel kubota setup at 9.5kw rating. It's not loud but we just want to get away from running it all the time. I do have sun electronics here and can get modules for 50 cents a watt. Already bought a new outback flexmax 60 for 350.00 new . Big expense is those damn batteries

Leave a comment:

• azdave
    replied
    ...its costing us about 1200.00 a year to run that generator currently
    Seems like a great deal compared to what you are thinking of spending for off-grid solar, especially with new batteries needed every 3-5 years. A 4 x 8 sheet of plywood stood on edge can really knock down the noise as long as you don't have close neighbors to deal with.

If you cabin is often unoccupied, keep in mind thieves and vandals can spot a solar installation from miles away. A generator is easier to hide or take with you when you aren't there.

Leave a comment:

• Sunking
    replied
    My thoughts on battery life is I will only be cycling them about 50-75 times a year. That gets me about 10+ years , No?
    No batteries have both cycle and calendar life. Whichever comes first.

Sunking, are your numbers rated at only a 20% discharge of the bank ?
    Yes

Leave a comment:

• wetsu151
    replied
    Thank you guys for this info, I really appreciate your time...also dont want to be buying this stuff twice as it is expensive

My thoughts on battery life is I will only be cycling them about 50-75 times a year. That gets me about 10+ years , No?

Also we will be running the generator a little also

Sunking, are your numbers rated at only a 20% discharge of the bank ?

Also, its costing us about 1200.00 a year to run that generator currently

Thanks
    Dave
    Last edited by wetsu151; 04-30-2018, 02:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sunking
    replied
    8 Kwh-day at 48 volts is a 830 AH battery. A 48 volt 830 AH battery requires 4000 watts of panels and an 80 Amp MPPT charger.

Leave a comment:

• littleharbor
    replied
    Yes, I have a kilo-watt meter and will test it this weekend, I can't believe how much the air conditioner is gonna cost us in battery bank cost . wow !!
    thanks for the charge info, did not think of that.
    And you get to replace that battery bank in 3-5 years. especially in the Florida heat.

Leave a comment:

• wetsu151
    replied
    Yes, I have a kilo-watt meter and will test it this weekend, I can't believe how much the air conditioner is gonna cost us in battery bank cost . wow !!
    thanks for the charge info, did not think of that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X