Wire size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wire size

What size wire Should I use for an 80' run from battery bank to RV trailer for 50 amp hook up

Originally posted by Outdoors View Post
    What size wire Should I use for an 80' run from battery bank to RV trailer for 50 amp hook up
    What voltage? Is the run 1-way distance or loop? Assuming low voltage DC 3% voltage drop 1-way distance.

12 volts = 4/0, 600 watt circuit
    24 volts = 2/0, 1200 watt circuit
    48 volts = 2 AWG, 2400 watt circuit

240/120 volts 6 AWG, 12,000/6000 watt circuit. Code minimum which you could use on any voltage regardless of distance or voltage of 50 amps.
    Last edited by Sunking; 04-19-2018, 12:36 PM.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

As Sunking mentioned it all depends on the voltage in that 80 foot cable.

The size wire will be greatly different between a 240V AC circuit and 48V DC circuit.

By the way. Most RV's that require a 50 amp hook up need it for the Air Conditioners. (My Class A is like that). Those puppies will require a lot of surge capacity for the DC to AC inverter or it will shut down due to the voltage being too low.

Comment

The 80' line would be 240 V from the 48 V inverter And I won't be using both air conditioners at the same time

Comment

The 80' line would be 240 V from the 48 V inverter And I won't be using both air conditioners at the same time
          4-wire 6 AWG SOOW cord. A 100-foot roll will cost you $250 to $300.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Thank you sunking And super moderator You mentioned the surge capacity that the air conditioners from the RV would be pulling I have a 48 V 4400 Magnus sign invertor I believe it has a 8500 W Surge capacity do you think that could handle The air conditioner

Comment

Thank you sunking And super moderator You mentioned the surge capacity that the air conditioners from the RV would be pulling I have a 48 V 4400 Magnus sign invertor I believe it has a 8500 W Surge capacity do you think that could handle The air conditioner
              I'm sure it can, question is, will your battery handle the air conditioner ?

Comment

Well one of my AC units draws 13 amps on one of the 120 V legs or about 1600 watts. But I expect it will surge 4 to 5 times that for a brief time. Depending on your AC unit rating, that Magnus may or may not be able handle the surge.

My concern for you are the wires between the 48V battery system and the inverter. An 8500 W unit can see close to 200 Amps so I hope those wires are big enough and they are protected by the correct size fuse.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
                  My concern for you are the wires between the 48V battery system and the inverter. An 8500 W unit can see close to 200 Amps so I hope those wires are big enough and they are protected by the correct size fuse.
                  Good thing it will be in an RV so he can get out quickly if he makes a poor crimp on a connector or a connection vibrates loose while driving. May be a moot point because I doubt his batteries will last long. Me thinks he does not realize a 200 amp load requires a 2000 AH battery. At 48 volts weighs around 5000 pounds.
                  Last edited by Sunking; 04-19-2018, 02:37 PM.
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

I like the way you put it Out there Sun king I would say you're correct I don't know what it requires to have a 200 amp loadSo I guess my measly 450 amp hour battery bank is not going to cut it

Comment

I like the way you put it Out there Sun king I would say you're correct I don't know what it requires to have a 200 amp loadSo I guess my measly 450 amp hour battery bank is not going to cut it
                      I have a 50 foot 50 amp factory made "extension" cord that I use if I have to park a little farther then what my 30 ft on board 50 amp RV cable can reach. But it plugs into a grid connected AC 50 amp plug and not an inverter so I have not had any issues with it.

If you want to include solar for your RV I would focus on running specific loads from the inverter and not try to power the entire RV.

Comment

Your battery is huge, just not large enough to do what you want.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
                        X