Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gene Maxwell
    • Jan 2018

Adding PV to an off-grid "Sunny Island" generator/battery setup

Our home is off-grid, with powered supplied from an SMA "Sunny Island" fed from a small battery bank and diesel generator. I want add solar PV to charge the 48v battery bank. The SMA solution is the "Sunny Island 50" charger but its not proving easy to find and its several times the price (at least) of other MPPT chargers. The key requirement for me is that the charger can communicate to the Sunny Island what charge its putting into the battery bank - the Sunny Island appears to work on a calculated state of charge rather than the actual battery voltage. Can anyone recommend a suitable charger that can talk to the Sunny Island over an SLC-PB parallel interface ( whatever that is ! ) Thanks !
    Attached Files
  • ricardoRI
    • Jul 2018

I have a pair of Sunny Island 6048 inverters off-grid. My installer set up with a pair of Midnite Solar Classic MPPT solar controllers as SIC1 and SIC2. All talk together, and I get the data via Sunnyportal.com or local via Sunny Webbox. The Midnite Classic inverters have a "SMA Bulk" option, so the SMA controls the solar controllers. I don't remember the communications protocol. Try asking SMA USA directly. When my system was ordered (2015) there was no UL-listed native SMA solar controller, and SMA shipped with Midnite Solars.

Comment

Working...