Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kb58
    • Sep 2017

Daytime-only operation of pond equipment

We have a koi pond which consumes roughly 500 watts continuously. At first I was considering the "nuclear option" of a grid-connected setup, but between reading more and also having SDGE implementing TOU costs, I've been considering alternatives.

Number one is going to be looking into a more efficient way to move water in the pond. Regardless how that works out, the next step is looking into putting together a small (~500W) off-grid setup dedicated to running the pond. When the sun goes down or it's cloudy, there'll be a relay which switches over to grid power. Once the proposed system is drawn up, it'll be analyzed to see if it's an economic go or no-go.

So the reason for the post is: what's a reasonable way to generate ~500W (lets aim for 600W due to inefficiencies)? I don't need a full-blown inverter, so I was thinking of maybe something intended for a motorhome. That said, I know most (all?) of those are intended to work with batteries, which I do NOT plan to use. So I'm asking the hive, what type of inverter should I be considering? I know automotive inverters are really cheap due to the numbers made, but they won't work well if I want to use several largish panels that generate 30V or so.

What say you!
    Last edited by kb58; 01-24-2018, 04:01 PM.
  • littleharbor
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2016

You should look into a DC pump option. You can potentially have a direct from panel to pump setup, needing no batteries, charge controller or inverter. A linear current booster would optimize a setup like this but may not necessarily be needed with the right solar type pump.
    2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• kb58
      • Sep 2017

Understood, but when the sun goes down, a grid-powered power supply would have to step in. There are other loads besides just the pump, there's a second smaller pump, two air blowers and a UV light. Since I already have the 115VAC equipment in place and running the pond, I rather not start over. That said, I appreciate the input, as options are always a good thing.

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by kb58
        Understood, but when the sun goes down, a grid-powered power supply would have to step in. There are other loads besides just the pump, there's a second smaller pump, two air blowers and a UV light. Since I already have the 115VAC equipment in place and running the pond, I rather not start over. That said, I appreciate the input, as options are always a good thing.
        DC to AC inverters require a constant voltage source which you will not get directly from a solar panel.

A battery is the easiest way to create that voltage source but it will end up costing a lot more then finding a way to get grid power to your AC pond loads.

Comment

• kb58
          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by SunEagle

DC to AC inverters require a constant voltage source which you will not get directly from a solar panel.

A battery is the easiest way to create that voltage source but it will end up costing a lot more then finding a way to get grid power to your AC pond loads.
          Getting grid power to the pond is was done 20+ years ago. The purpose of this exercise is to see what it takes to minimize grid power usage. A buck/boost DC/DC converter can deal with input voltage variations, so the dire warnings are noted but can be addressed.
          Last edited by kb58; 01-25-2018, 11:41 AM.

Comment

• ButchDeal
            Solar Fanatic
            • Apr 2014

Getting grid power to the pond is was done 20+ years ago. The purpose of this exercise is to see what it takes to minimize grid power usage. A buck/boost DC/DC converter can deal with input voltage variations, so the dire warnings are noted but can be addressed.
            if you have grid power there then the cheapest and most effective solar solution for minimizing grid power usage is .......... Net metering, not off grid
            OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• PNPmacnab
              Solar Fanatic
              • Nov 2016

There are numerous youtube videos on this, most poorly executed. Grid tie panels are cheap and technically this isn't that hard to do, but switching between sources requires a bit of logic. I do elements of this now with highly modified equipment. Given that you feel you have to ask, I doubt that this possible for you to do. The big cost advantage is not running the grid wires initially. I do question the need to run these pumps all the time. What do I know about fish.

Comment

• bcroe
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jan 2012

The advice above is spot on, suggest you carefully consider it. Other methods can be made to work if you throw
                enough money at them, but that violates the original idea.

It would be more accurate to say that while the MPPT operating voltage of panels varies little, the available
                current current varies MORE than an order of magnitude over the seasons, time of day, and with clouds or
                lack of them. That means the available POWER varies in a similar way, and your buck/boost converter can
                do nothing about the power available. Trying to pull any more power from the panels
                will result in the voltage (and power) collapsing to practically nothing.

An AC induction motor pump wants a nice solid source of power to run and a much larger surge to get started.
                The PoCo provides this, but PV panels do not. With just enough panels to get running under best sun, the
                system will be cutting out at any variation of conditions, such as a small cloud drifting by. With lots more panels
                to run it much of the time, extra output available under best sun will be thrown away.
                And daytime shutdowns will still occur.

A couple ways around these problems, are a variable speed DC system, and a net metering setup with the
                PoCo. good luck, Bruce Roe

Comment

• SunEagle
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

If you are trying to save money then stay with the grid. If you are trying to experiment with solar technology then open your wallet and pay the man.The only solar equipment that will eventually pay for itself would be a grid tie system.

I am sure there are ways to power AC equipment from solar panels without using a battery but you will need the proper electronics to eliminate voltage fluctuations. I

MO most DC to AC inverters won't work that way. But if you want to try it then have at it. It's your money.

Comment

Working...