help for off grid Aussie..please..its quite a story..

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MattyDIY
    • Jan 2018

help for off grid Aussie..please..its quite a story..

Hey guys and girls..firstly so so happy I found this forum..

Im in a bit of a bind and wanted to ask for your help..please forgive my ignorance, we all were beginner's once right?
    I have endevoured to do as much of this myself, and like you do..made some horrible mistakes and the learning curve has been MASSIVE..

Im living totally off gird in remote Australia..with no hope of getting mains power (about $70k AUD)..

Im basically camping in a shed..alone..with my dogs..I run a 2000w genni to run the internet..Satellite..which I was told was 100w but is really around 300w to run..mistake number one..believe the installer..

When it is on..I charge everything I can plug in...cordless batteries for a LED lantern for the night time...also runs the radio..and my laptop batteries..which I have 3 of..this is my only entertainment...

my fridge is a weaco 110lt and uses around 80w or I have been told close to 7 amps at full blast..I have been running it only in the day time, and most of the time in winter..i take my food out and put it in the open, it gets cold and I put it back in..so its more like a cold box..

I haven't been running the fridge at all and the novelty of drinking warm beer is really wearing thin in 40deg c weather...

so..you know im only trying to run a SUPER basic system..and am willing to do what it takes to cope..

I have 2 x new deep cycle 100 amp hour batts..its all could get at a pinch...im looking at upgrading to some 300 amp hour lead acid x 3 later..

I bought 12 x 12v 190w panels...cheap I thought at $40 AUD each..they are about 4-5 yrs old..in good condition..
    the weaco has both 12v direct (best option..and 240v plug in..) so it gives me the option of running it when I have the genni connected..

I have a 1500w inverter..but only plan on using it when the sun is out, to charge the cordless stuff (55 w charger x 2) for about 2 hours a day..and the laptop charger 100w for around 3 hours ..again..only when the sun is out..

I get easy 5 to 7 hours of FULL sun a day, even in winter..and that is a saving grace I think..

I did have a victron 100/30 charger..but blew it up trying to connect 4 panels (must have done something wrong..)

so now you know what I have...I was thinking of using 3 x 190w 12 panels..in two strings...with a NEW victron 150/35 or 150/45 tr charger..still trying to figure out what the difference is between them..

of course I would have a fuse between the panels and the charger..and one between the charger and the battery..

I REALLY don't want to blow up anymore equipment, and would LOVE if someone out there can advise me on how many panels (I think the max is 1000w = 5 panels ..6 would be cheeky at 1140watts

AND HOW TO ARRANGE THEM! eg what size wire and what configuration..i don't AHVE to run the internet on this system..just the fridge..but if I could..would be awesome

IF I can run the internet 300w and laptop 100w = 400 watts..only at one time..everything else off..just for a few hours in the middle of the day..it would save me so so much in fuel...

I have been limping along up till now..and feeling really overwhelmed since my missus left..probably due partly to the hassle of all of the above..

Im going a bit crazy spending money I don't have chasing a dream I becoming jaded with..so if you could help me...I will buy you a beer..name a first child after you..or tell the gods your a great person when I see them..

THANKYOU

Last edited by MattyDIY; 01-17-2018, 01:30 AM.
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Most of the websites for Charge Controllers, have a String Calculator. You enter the panel info (model & configuration) and it does the math for you.

MidNite Solar is the industry leader and manufacture of quality Renewable Energy System electrical components and E-Panels.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• MattyDIY
      • Jan 2018

cheers mate! after keying some stuff in..i think Im way over my head!

Comment

• Suprasoup
        • Oct 2017

Oy! Warm beer sucks unless its a Guinness.

lets see if we cant help you out mate.

What you have:

12 x 190w panels. Gonna need some information on these. Post up the specs or Take a pic of the specs and post it for us.

2 x 12v 100ah batteries. Guessing here as you didnt specify voltage.

Waeco 110lt fridge. Is this the chest fridge style(horizontal). Or is it side opening(vertical).

1500w 12v inverter. Guessing again as you did not specify

2000w Genni How r u charging the batteries off the genni? Dedicated charge port or external battery charger?

A couple of dogs and a guitar hopefully???

Answer the above questions and I will be in a better position to help you out.

Supra
        Last edited by Suprasoup; 01-17-2018, 09:30 PM. Reason: dang apostrophe. Friggin ipad

Comment

• MattyDIY
          • Jan 2018

cheers Supra...nice to hear from you..jut tried to upload a pic of the panel..too big..mm..ff..I checkout the link Mike sent me..(cheers) and it looks like I was totally up the wrong tree about most of this..looks like the best I can do is 2 x 2 panels in series into the 12 v batts set as 24 volt..this makes the inverter awkward..as does the fridge..so ..maybe I set it up..just to get me out of a bind..

1 x batt 2 panels series..one for the fridge..
          as above one for the inverter..

its not ideal , as I doubling up on wire ect...but im saving for a big (mmm..) system..i jus don't want to kill these batteries.

cant run the internet (300w plus) off this for any amount of time..and the worst thing is the batts/ solar..is at a different spot to the internet (700mts away..so lots of undoing re doing wires and carrying of batteries...hmmfff...so I can top them up every few days..when I run the genni for the internet...man..its a full time job jut trying to live here...looking for work everywhere..might have a good job..asked for my references..so when I get it..bang..bi solar set up 10kva I reckon

yeah got 2 good hunting dogs..but im pretty close to quiting this whole homesteading...eagles just got my last duck...all my geese..and 8/12 chickens..but hey..I got you guys right so its made my day!...

I have some cheap ass Chinese chargers..i did order a victron 150/35 but I think its way over kill now....dam..

Last edited by MattyDIY; 01-17-2018, 11:41 PM.

Comment

• Davefjedi
            • Aug 2017

OK bear with me
            1 where are you located ? what state and area? I am Gippsland so if local could help with setup
            that many panels is well and truly over kill for 2 small batterys

I imagine they would be house panels so you need to ensure your regulator can take up to 50 volt input
            I run a small off grid system for my shed running lights,stereo,ryobi 18V charger for my power tools,large12/24V fridge\freezer and laptop
            my setup consists of a 30 amp Mppt epever controler
            4 100amp Gel batterys
            3 110watt panels(80V odd voltage older panels)
            I am running mine in a 24v config at the moment and is working well

you NEED more batterys the more the merrier
            can you look at setting up 2 seperate systems one a 24 volt and 1 a 12 volt ??

Comment

Working...