Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sdold
    • Jun 2014

Panel degradation and its effect on current produced

If a "12V" panel is connected to a PWM charge controller with a 12V battery for many years, does the normal panel degradation effect the power delivered by that panel through that controller over time at about the same rate you'd see with an MPPT controller?

We have a 4700 AH 12V battery fed by a large array of Siemens (or Siemon?) 110W panels that are now 15 years old, I'm curious if panel degradation would be apparent in a system like this where the panels are intermittently connected directly to the battery. It's like a PWM system where the pulses last an hour or two.

Steve
  • bcroe
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by sdold
    If a "12V" panel is connected to a PWM charge controller with a 12V battery for many years, does the normal panel degradation effect the power delivered by that panel through that controller over time at about the same rate you'd see with an MPPT controller?

We have a 4700 AH 12V battery fed by a large array of Siemens (or Siemon?) 110W panels that are now 15 years old, I'm curious if panel degradation would be apparent in a system like this where the panels are intermittently connected directly to the battery. It's like a PWM system where the pulses last an hour or two. Steve
    That is the question I asked, is the degradation in voltage output, or current output (or both)? I have not
    seen an authoritative answer yet. If only the voltage, a PWM system would be nearly unaffected. Bruce Roe

Comment

Working...