X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by J.P.M.
    Seems I remember way back in the early '80's Apple computers being considered more toy than serious computational tool.
    Very true, and Apple shot themselves in the foot. Apple was a toy and only serious application the MAC's could was publishing using Adobe. But when it came to business and doing real work was PC and of course the real work horse even today is UNIX. Where Apple shot themselves in the foot, unlike IBM, was to allow Clones. That really put a hurt on Apple and any serious software development.

But, at the time, Apple did some slick marketing and seeding of a future technical market by getting in bed with educational institutions and giving away a lot of product to schools and offering deep discounts to students to indoctrinate/familiarize teachers and students to Apple products.
    That is one thing they got right. I graduated just before home computers came out. My first was a Commodore 64. Apple gave just about every school computers. More liken to brain washing which is easy to do to kids and college students. Apple just about went bankrupt until they allowed clones at which point software companies started making some useful software applications.

My biggest gripe is they are still brain washing youth, and everything they make is proprietary forcing you to pay twice as much for their products and accessories. There is nothing really special about an ipad or iphone, and no one uses their laptops or desktops. But they have kids from past and present brainwashed. Just look at any of their commercials, and you instantly see who they are targeting.

However I am no fool. Made a lot of money off their stock like Tesla. Would not get caught dead using their products, but I will take anyone's money. Apple marketing is top notch, and Musk is one of the best Con Man since Pt Barnum.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• ButchDeal
      Solar Fanatic
      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Sunking

LOL. What I really mean everything about APPLE is proprietary and does not work with anything except APPLE PRODUCTS. That way they can charge you twice as much for everything.
      actually Apple has always supported standards far more than windows. Windows and MSoft are known for specifically mucking with any standard to make it proprietary.

For cell phones and tablets there is APPLE Ios that is not compatible with anything but APPLE. Then there is DROID (UNIX) which is a universal standard everyone understands and works with. All Servers use APACHE which is a UNIX code.
      Macs run a form of UNIX based on a Micro kernel with BSD environment.

OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• ButchDeal
        Solar Fanatic
        • Apr 2014

Seems I remember way back in the early '80's Apple computers being considered more toy than serious computational tool. But, at the time, Apple did some slick marketing and seeding of a future technical market by getting in bed with educational institutions and giving away a lot of product to schools and offering deep discounts to students to indoctrinate/familiarize teachers and students to Apple products. But that may have caused more problems for graduates than it created a market for Apple computers when Apple junkies graduated and came pretty much, or at least partly, face to face with the real PC dominated world of business and engineering, and were behind the curve in what became and remains a PC (Microsoft) world.

Kind of like owning a model train layout using "s" gauge track and scale (the old American Flyer scale) and about 90+ % of all the model trains in the world are "O" gauge (like what Lionel use and had ~ 90 % of the market).

Apple may have good products but IMO and experience, most (but not all) of the really technically savvy engineering and technical types I know and have worked with don't take Apple computer products very seriously and so don't use them. Often at least to my observation, Apple computers are more often the choice of technical wanna be's and dabblers than of serious nuts & bolts types who actually produce results and designs that work.

I don't own or use any Apple products and I don't seem to have ever had machine induced problems with punctuation. But then, correlation is not causation.

But, if I needed to change my writing style to accommodate a communication tool, or that tool hampered my ability to communicate, that tool would be outta' here faster than a calculator with keys that stick.

Just my $0.02.
        depends on the crowd you run with. I was a big UNIX admin and had a A/UX (Apple Unix) system in college. These Apple had a high end computer that many business and the government purchased in the 80s and 90s. They had a BSL2 (secured) A/UX version that the government loved.
        Where they missed out was many smaller businesses couldn't afford the apple products so they started thinking they could get computers cheaper with Windows systems.

Comment

• ButchDeal
          Solar Fanatic
          • Apr 2014

Very true, and Apple shot themselves in the foot. Apple was a toy and only serious application the MAC's could was publishing using Adobe. But when it came to business and doing real work was PC and of course the real work horse even today is UNIX. Where Apple shot themselves in the foot, unlike IBM, was to allow Clones. That really put a hurt on Apple and any serious software development.
          Um, Macs run UNIX
          no argument on the clones but that was during the S. Jobs absence.

My biggest gripe is they are still brain washing youth, and everything they make is proprietary forcing you to pay twice as much for their products and accessories. There is nothing really special about an ipad or iphone, and no one uses their laptops or desktops. But they have kids from past and present brainwashed. Just look at any of their commercials, and you instantly see who they are targeting.

However I am no fool. Made a lot of money off their stock like Tesla. Would not get caught dead using their products, but I will take anyone's money. Apple marketing is top notch, and Musk is one of the best Con Man since Pt Barnum.
          Macs and most apple products fully support standards for interconnection. The problem comes from lazy developers that do not follow a standard and instead follow Micrsoft bastardized standards for cheap products that will then only work with MS systems and even then very poorly. Apple has done more to push and lead standards than almost any other company other than Sun Micro systems (which often pared with Apple on this process).

Comment

Working...