Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Viking66
    • Dec 2017

Crazy Voltages to AC Input from Generators

Hi all, new here, but have been lurking for over a year!!!

I am new to the Solar Power System world but I have a remote Swamp Camp and I had some money saved so I thought I would buy a System because parts of the year no AC is needed. I got this system http://www.solarpenny.com/Magnum-Ene...assic-(4p).htm in the 4024 Version. I have 4, 6 volt Trojan L16 RE-B for my storage.

Now I have 2 Generators at my Camp. A Westerbeke 4.5 KW and an Onan DJE 6.0 KW. I like redundancy Both of these Gensets run fine and produce at 60 HZ, and 122-124 volts
    I know Generators very well, and I am no novice when it comes to electrical connections.

Now the Crazy part. When I have the Westerbeke connected with out the AC Input Breakers on I read the voltage in the panel at AC In and it is 122-124 volts. I flip the breakers on the panel it bogs down the Genset, and the voltage rises up to 160 volts or so and the breaker trips.

Now when I have the Onan connected it does the exact opposite. A good 122-124 volts at the AC In, flip the breakers on the panel it does not bog down the Genset and it drops to 8-5-9.6 volts.

I set the AC input Amps in the Inverter Controller to 15. The Westerbeke puts out 19 each leg and the Onan 25 so I thought that would be a good start for that setting.

Not sure if anyone has ever saw this type thing, or have any ideas, but they are all appreciated

Thom

South of New Orleans

Thom
    South of New Orleans
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Just guessing but sounds like the Power Factor of the Inverter is too low. I would have to guess your Inverter looks like a non linear load and gensets do not like non linear loads like a switch mode Inverter and charger. Non linear loads (harmonics) wreak havoc on the generators electronic voltage regulator.

Try disconnecting all loads and disable the charger and see what happens. Then start turning things back on one at a time and see what happens. When you switch on the offender you will know where to start to find a solution. You got your work cutout for you, and this forum is not going to be of much help.

Read this white paper ans this white paper
    Last edited by Sunking; 01-02-2018, 11:57 PM.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• Viking66
      • Dec 2017

Thanks for the reply! I know both of my Gensets have a Power Factor of 1. and I looked up the inverter and it says >.95 for it's PF. I do not have much going out there as far as loads. I have a some lights that i keep on, a Aerator pump for my Sewer System on a timer, and 2 battery chargers.

Both of these Gensets will run my Camp fine. I have the big Onan for the 3 ACs I need to run in the Summer, the Westerbeke is for Spring and Fall days, but that is why I got the Solar System because no AC is needed then.

I will read both of the White Papers you posted and try what you suggested.

Thank you again!!!

Thom
      Thom
      South of New Orleans

Comment

• Viking66
        • Dec 2017

Interesting reading. I will start by Isolating the Camp feed and see it it is in the Inverter or any other part of the System. If it still does fine as far as AC Input goes I will then work my way back as you suggested, starting with the Battery Chargers first.

They were mentioned as big Non-Linear Devices and may be the source of my woes....

Thom

South of New Orleans
        Thom
        South of New Orleans

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Viking66
          Thanks for the reply! I know both of my Gensets have a Power Factor of 1. and I looked up the inverter and it says >.95 for it's PF. I do not have much going out there as far as loads. I have a some lights that i keep on, a Aerator pump for my Sewer System on a timer, and 2 battery chargers.
          Makes no difference what the manuals say, and if your generator can only handle a PF=1 is completely useless for all except a pure resistance load. Most genny's can handle down to .8 PF which is poor. I would start with the two battery chargers. Those chargers if switch mode can have PF lower than .6 which no genny would operate unless significantly over sized.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• Mike90250
            • May 2009

Sad genset tale, I've got a nearly new Subaru/Hatz 3kw diesel genset, and it can barely run a 1kw well pump @ 240V. New gear does not like poor power factor.
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• bcroe
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Mike90250
              Sad genset tale, I've got a nearly new Subaru/Hatz 3kw diesel genset, and it can barely run a 1kw well pump @ 240V. New gear does not like poor power factor.
              Any possibility of improving the PF, add caps or something? Bruce Roe

Comment

• Mike90250
                • May 2009

I could get in and mess with it, but it's the backup to the backup. The solid reliable lister just chugs away. Since the charger on the XW is .9PF, the lightweight diesel can manage it's primary task of battery charging
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Viking66
                  • Dec 2017

Both of the Gensets I mentioned will run my Camp just fine and not have an issue with any of the things out there I have running. My biggest consumers of power are the AC units I have for Summer.

I got the System for the times of the year when all I need is some TV and lights in the evening. The System itself seems just fine with everything I have plugged in and does not indicate any type of fault.

The Stove, Water Heater, and House Heater are all propane, so no huge draw there. I would just like the opportunity to charge the batteries if I need to with this system the way it is intended to operate.

It is quite nice out in the Swamp with no Genset running. I had to run 2 Owls off that were perching under my Camp. They sat and Whoood back and forth for 2 hours and I finally got them to fly off...LOL

A few pics so you can see why I like the Place

Attached Files
                  Thom
                  South of New Orleans

Comment

• Viking66
                    • Dec 2017

I was able to go out to my Camp yesterday and do some testing.

I isolated the Camp from any power going in, started one of my Generators and the same exact result of what was originally reported happened....Ughh

Started up my 2nd Generator and also exactly the same readings. So I guess I need to see what is going on with my system.

It's always something LOL Thanks for the inputs!!!
                    Thom
                    South of New Orleans

Comment

Working...