• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • extrafu
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2016

Trouble equalizing batteries

Hello,

I've tried to equalize my batteries again and it looks like I failed once again. I have 8 rolls S-550 (428Ah) wired in series. This morning, I started the generator until current started to taper down. Them, I let solar do its job for a few hours (about 5 hours) until I reached float. When I reached float, I tried to start the equalization process.

There was (and still is) plenty of sun right now and I'm starting the equalization process from the two Conext MPPT 80-600 CCs to equalize using the PV.

When I switched to equalization, the batteries started to climb to 59.5, 60.5 and 61V for a few minutes (about 10-15 minutes) then voltage dropped rapidly to 56V, slowing going down. One of the two CC switched back from equalize to bulk and the other one kept on equalization. But voltage was still at 56V. Few minutes later, both were out of the equalization stage, back into absorb for a few minutes and then, back to float.

Why is that? Help me understand as I have tried two times with them results.

Thanks,
    Last edited by extrafu; 12-28-2017, 07:58 AM.
  • Bala
    Solar Fanatic
    • Dec 2010

I have two charge controllers, but different type and brand.

When I equalise I need to disconnect the communication cables that connect them together, otherwise I have the same trouble as you are having.

Comment

• citabria
      • Oct 2016

Are you running a Schneider Conext System Control Panel along with the 2 Conext CCs? It may be needed for coordinating absorb/float/EQ stages. A good sales representative can give you advice. I have a similar issue while running 2 different brands of charge controllers (an older Apollo T80 and a newer FlexMax80), since they sort of fight each other once Bulk stage is complete. I believe the my only fix is to replace the Apollo T80 with another FlexMax80 and connect those 2 CCs to a Hub Mate.

Comment

• extrafu
        Solar Fanatic
        • Apr 2016

I indeed do use two Conext MPPT 600-80 CCs with the SCP. I'll try tomorrow to only switch ONE CC to equalize and leave the other at float.

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

First you have to do a full charge. Then you must use a generator or commercial AC power to EQ batteries as it takes up to 24 hours. You cannot EQ or properly charge batteries with solar as you are just now learning.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

• extrafu
            Solar Fanatic
            • Apr 2016

Sunking Right now the batteries are about 1.25 SG which from Rolls' documentation, is nearby 100% SOC (http://support.rollsbattery.com/supp...ecific-gravity). I know I can EQ using my generator before my inverter can do it, but why I am observing this behaviour? There was plenty of sun and tons of PV available so lack of power has to be ruled out. It's either a Conext fart because I set both CCs to EQ like others said, or something else.

Comment

• Mike90250
              • May 2009

Try starting the EQ after absorb is finished, and forget about FLOAT.

Solar can do it, if both charge controllers are properly configured, but in your case, one or both are not configured correctly.
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• extrafu
                Solar Fanatic
                • Apr 2016

Mike90250 I pretty much did that, as I started EQ immediately when the CCs reported going into float. I'll try today to only switch one CC to EQ and leave the other one to float. I've also emailed Schneider, we'll see what they think about this. I'll report back what they say. Thanks!

Comment

• Sunking
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Feb 2010

Extrafu Absorb and EQ are not timed events. EQ can take up to 24 hours. This time a year you are doing good to get 3 hours per day on solar. Be aware of what time of year it is. We are in the shortest days of the year. Connect the dots. This time of year solar cannot fully charge batteries. Also make sure you are compensating for the electrolyte temperature.
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

• extrafu
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Apr 2016

So I tried again today and it worked using the two CCs. It looks like one has to be a bit patient when switching the Conext MPPT 600-80 to EQ as they need a few minutes in absorb before they kick in the EQ. Even with 2 CCs it worked. I ran EQ for about 45 mins before the PV wasn't generating enough power. I've tried then using the generator and the inverter and I got an error (W95 - EQ abort). I'll see what Schneider thinks about this one...

Comment

• Cult of Dionysus
                      • Jul 2014

Keen to hear how this goes for you. My dad just got some S550s (8 in one string), and I need to EQ them as well. But everything is through Outback (FlexPower Two, Hub10, Mate3 and a FM80). So should make the job a little easier.

Comment

Working...