Proposed System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proposed System

So next year ill be ditching the old 12v setup in favour of GT panels and 24volts!

Here is my proposed system. Blanks filled in and advice is mutely appreciated!

4 x Panasonic panels - HIT VBHN285SJ40 - 285w

ISC - 5.91A
    VOC - 63.5V
    IMP - 5.49A
    VMP - 52V

One of the panels is actually a VBHN295SJ46 295w @ VMP - 52.7 V. IMP - 5.6A and VOC 63.7 V but I'm sure these readings are so small not to have any type of negative effect?

They will feed to an MPPT Controller - do i go with a Morningstar MPPT 45 or a 60?

Or an Outback Flexmax 60 or 80?

Batteries - Im not decided on this - thinking - USL16 U.S. Deep Cycle Battery 6V 380Ah or Rolls S-290 or Rolls S-330?

This system will be to power LED lighting - around 13 LED's at 5w a couple of hours a day.
    Constant 24v fridge.
    24v Television - Again few hours on an evening.

1000w Inverter/Charger - Victron maybe? Connected to backup genny for occasional charging of batteries. Not sure how these inverter/chargers are linked into the system and do i need to isolate panels/controllers/batteries when I charge from the generator?

Any advice on the above is greatly welcomed and also advice on cable sizes, breakers/fuses (if needed) or any other safety devices?

Antony

Inverter/Chargers that I am familiar with, have much flexibility with generators (Gen Support & battery charging)
    They integrate seamlessly with solar charge controllers _ IF you configure everything properly
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

OK. Thanks for that Mike. Guess it will be in the installation instructions.

Anyone shed any light on the other stuff....thought it might warrant more than 1 reply....?

Comment

for a few bucks more, just get the Outback Flexmax 80. Cheaper in the long run if you want to add some panels. might as well add 6 panels if in budget
        Last edited by soylent_green; 12-22-2017, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Looks like a nice system you are planning and seems fairly balanced among components with what little there is said about daily usage and locat

I've​​​I've got four 250w panels wired 2 in series and then the two pair in parallel (2s2p). I use a Morningstar Mppt-60 and am very glad for it. One advantage is it makes all kinds of data available via Ethernet. It is wired into a router outside in the controller box, and I access that with my laptop wirelessly from inside my cabin, and can pretty much know what is happening anytime. The smaller MS controller requires some adapter and such to do that. The Morningstar is a solid piece of equipment for me and it is big enough I could easily expand. It's got 150w max I think, so consider that.

Comment

Originally posted by KMac View Post
            Looks like a nice system you are planning and seems fairly balanced among components with what little there is said about daily usage and locat

I've​​​I've got four 250w panels wired 2 in series and then the two pair in parallel (2s2p). I use a Morningstar Mppt-60 and am very glad for it. One advantage is it makes all kinds of data available via Ethernet. It is wired into a router outside in the controller box, and I access that with my laptop wirelessly from inside my cabin, and can pretty much know what is happening anytime. The smaller MS controller requires some adapter and such to do that. The Morningstar is a solid piece of equipment for me and it is big enough I could easily expand. It's got 150w max I think, so consider that.
            Hi Kmac

Sounds like you have a similar setup. I must admit I'm leaning more towards the Morning Star. Im sure they are all pretty similar when in use though!

Only issue is i think the MPPT 60 maxes out at 1600w for 24v so been able to add 2 extra panels might be a problem....if it ever needed it of course!

Location is South West France. Im not actually living there at the minute as i don't move out of the UK for another 18 months!

Im pretty new to all this solar lark, its already got a solar setup but its 12volts, Low power panels, parallel batteries etc etc so its not the best - it was already with the house and doesn't quite cope with our needs - it might actually cope better when i remove 2 of the batteries next summer - it obviously can't charge them all!

What size is the wiring on your system and cable run lengths?

I too will be running 2s2p around 8 metre run from panels to Controller....

A
            Last edited by antonycurley; 12-23-2017, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by antonycurley View Post

Only issue is i think the MPPT 60 maxes out at 1600w for 24v so been able to add 2 extra panels might be a problem....if it ever needed it of course!
              Your array size is not limited to 1600 W. That is about the maximum amount of power that the controller will take in. If your array is capable of more, it will limit the input to keep the output at 60 A.

A 1600 W array will almost never produce 1600 W. Depending on how you arrange the panels, you could go with a substantially larger array that could generate 60 A for several hours in good weather.
              CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

My 3Kw array on my Tristar MPPT-60, seldom maxes it out. (5x a year) Usually in cold clear weather for just a couple minutes at a time. The TS MPPT 60 is a solid piece of gear, and will easily limit itself to safe ranges. (but don't exceed it's input voltage limit)
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

OK. Right i think i understand some of the above now. The system will only be 4 panels - might stretch to 6 eventually.

Am i right in thinking that 24volt system needs NO fuses/breakers etc? Just a battery isolator in-between the batteries and CC...?

Comment

Whoa.
                    All systems need OverCurrent protection (fuses, DC rated ckt brekers) Even 6V systems !

With only 2 parallel strings of panels, you don't need Combiner Fuses. With 3 parallel strings of panels. you DO.

The Controller IS the battery isolator.

There is a lot you are missing, and you should get some tutorial learning in before you spend any money. :Look at the stickies in the off-grid section, ask questions - get answers

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
                      Whoa.
                      All systems need OverCurrent protection (fuses, DC rated ckt brekers) Even 6V systems !

With only 2 parallel strings of panels, you don't need Combiner Fuses. With 3 parallel strings of panels. you DO.

The Controller IS the battery isolator.

There is a lot you are missing, and you should get some tutorial learning in before you spend any money. :Look at the stickies in the off-grid section, ask questions - get answers
                      My current system hardware is only 2 strings..

Comment

My current system hardware is only 2 strings..
                        Are you talking about fuses between panels to controller, controller to battery, or battery to load?

If between Panels and Controller no fuses are required if you have two strings or less. Makes no difference how many strings after the controller, fuses are required. See example below. Your actual fuse and wire sizes will be different.

Last edited by Sunking; 12-27-2017, 09:13 PM.
                        MSEE, PE

Comment

OK. So no fuses needed between panels / batteries.

I have a fuse box after batteries before loads for fridge, lighting etc - basic blade fuse system.

So i need a fuse block on the positive from the CC which will feed the battery bank and the inverter...?

Diagram is a bit confusing although its probably dead simple!!

Comment

OK. So no fuses needed between panels / batteries.
                            I did not say that nor does the schematic. No fuses needed between the panels and charge controller. Look at the schematic, it is crystal clear.

I have a fuse box after batteries before loads for fridge, lighting etc - basic blade fuse system.

So i need a fuse block on the positive from the CC which will feed the battery bank and the inverter...?
                            Again look at the drawing. There is a fuse (60 amp) between the Controller and Battery. And there is a fuse between the Battery and Load 100 Amps. I think what might be throwing you off is the two 100 amp fuses on the battery. One for the Inverter, and one for the Distribution Block.

Take note, the fuses are installed directly on the Battery Term Post. Any place else is dangerous. Perhaps another drawing might help.

Below is a Single and Dual Battery Fuse Block made to be installed directly on the Battery Term Post. You want the Dual unit BLU-2151. One fuse on the wire going to the Controller, and the other for the loads.
                            Last edited by SunEagle; 12-30-2017, 09:16 AM.
                            MSEE, PE

Comment

My mistake on the fuses between panel and battery - i did actually mean panel - controller.

Thanks for that Sunking - the bottom diagram makes things a bit clearer.

Are the battery mounting posts for those fuses generally 3/8 on a 6v battery?
                              Last edited by antonycurley; 12-30-2017, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X