wattage out put not what expected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wattage out put not what expected

installed 6 295w panels 3 in series 2 sets in par and I only am showing between 770 to 840w 103 volts 11 to 13a at 11:30 in so cal where is the other 1000w

More info is needed. tilt, azimuth, solar irradiance, amb. temp. and info on panels like STC current, Voltage and such. Also, where are the panels located on the planet ?
    Panels, for lots of reasons, will rarely, if ever, deliver their STC output. The cited info are but a few of the reasons why. Maybe there's a problem, but so far, information is insufficient to hazard a guess.

Comment

Grid tie or Off Grid? What's the rest of the equipment?

Comment

The watt fairy stole them.

Look if you need help from us you also need to provide as much information about your system as you can, such as: the panel specs, charge controller, inverter, and battery system.

If you have a grid tie system then get in touch with your installer or if you performed a DIY then again provide us with the data.

You might was well have asked the question, how high is up?

Comment

lat 34.3875370 34deg 23' 15.13" n 118.5332340 118 deg 31' 59.64"w there at 10 deg angle on top of a car trailer pointing south.the controller is by mpp solar Inc mppt 3kw 48 volt 60 amp max 145 volt. the pannels are solar world sunmodule plus swa 295 mono rated power 295 open c 39.8 rated v 32.3 short c 9.78a rated c 9.25a Ihave 4 group 29 interstate batteries.it is off grid the inverter is 6k constant 12k surg.it is 80 deg out. tell the fairies I need them back. thank you john

Comment

Originally posted by jonathon w View Post
            lat 34.3875370 34deg 23' 15.13" n 118.5332340 118 deg 31' 59.64"w there at 10 deg angle on top of a car trailer pointing south.the controller is by mpp solar Inc mppt 3kw 48 volt 60 amp max 145 volt. the pannels are solar world sunmodule plus swa 295 mono rated power 295 open c 39.8 rated v 32.3 short c 9.78a rated c 9.25a Ihave 4 group 29 interstate batteries.it is off grid the inverter is 6k constant 12k surg.it is 80 deg out. tell the fairies I need them back. thank you john
            What is the problem? You have a battery system. If the batteries are charged and no load, there is ZERO power because there is no place for power to go. Perfectly normal.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

My first guess is that the batteries don't want no more stinking watts. Put a 2 kW load on it at noon. Second guess is that it is underwired or has a iffy connector, check for voltage drops while running that load.

Unplug one half of the array at a time, might discover something that way.

Comment

Its one of the first things a solar noob is gonna get hit with once theyve pieced it all together. Why doesnt the total watts being generated match the total of the labels? These nice folks are going to attempt some calcuulations for you to see if your system is performing somewhat near expectations or something major may be wrong.

However, can I start with a simple question? Are you expecting a strong, consistent 295 watts of power from each of your 295 watt panels ? (Think about as the sun starts going down, a cloud passes by, panel gets dirty, etc.)

Comment

the wiring is 4 gauge I unpluged one half and got half the wattage I put the a/c on the inverter showed 1770watts to the a/c the controler still showed 700watts 104 volts battery voltage went from 55 volts to 47 and continued to drop and the controller watts did not rise. I did all this before the post. that is why I have this question. I understand the batteries well only take what the need.and that it is not going to put out the max watts all day but it should be with in 20% at 12 noon in cailfornia.

Comment

the wiring is 4 gauge I unpluged one half and got half the wattage I put the a/c on the inverter showed 1770watts to the a/c the controler still showed 700watts 104 volts battery voltage went from 55 volts to 47 and continued to drop and the controller watts did not rise. I did all this before the post. that is why I have this question. I understand the batteries well only take what the need.and that it is not going to put out the max watts all day but it should be with in 20% at 12 noon in cailfornia.
                    It almost sounds like the charge controller is limiting the output of the solar panel wattage. A 60A MPPT CC should easily handle 1770watts for a 48v battery but for some reason it is not doing it's job.

That could mean a wiring issue or a charger issue.

Can you measure the amount of amps going to the batter system? You should be getting something around 35 amps (1770 watts / 48 volts =. 36 amps )but if you are only getting about 15amps ( 700 watts / 48 volts = 15 amps) and your batteries need a charge I would say you have a problem.

Comment

thank you guys for the input I well pick up a amp meter an see what it is going to the batteries it may not be tell tuesday before I can get that info.thank you john

Comment

... it should be with in 20% at 12 noon in cailfornia.
                        Nope. My grid-tie system, in San Diego, at 18.5 deg tilt, put out a max of 62% of nameplate today. At 10 deg tilt, that probably knocks you less than 60%, at least. You shouldn't expect to get into the 80%'s until late march, early april.

It looks like you are right between two fires, if your air isn't clear, that will knock down output even further.
                        CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

How about a date with the irradiance and the time when the power outputs were measured ?

SWAG: Using 12/07/2017 solar data, the location given, the 10 deg. tilt, and a 180 deg. az., the most P.O.A. (Plane of Array) irradiance you'll see on a panel at that orientation on a VERY clear day is about 675 W/m^2 between the hours of 11:30 and 12:30 P.S.T., or about 68 % of the STC irradiance. So, to a very rough 1st approx., a 295 STC Watt panel will put out, at most, about 200 or so Watts, less, perhaps substantially so, if not measured at solar noon, not a pristine atmosphere (quite likely), and not accounting for other system losses.

Comment

10 degree tilt in the winter. Obvious now. Good catch.

Comment

so given my location what do you think the out put will be from june to october and what should the angle be. I have 3 more panels to install but would like to no if what I have is working wright at this point.

Comment

Working...
                              X