MISMATCHED solar panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MISMATCHED solar panels

So several of my old style panels discovered that wind power rules and took off in the hurricane. Now I can try to run on less panels or replace with something with the same or close output.
    I have to match up with the antigue Evergreensolar ES-A-200-fa3 at 200w peak power(Pmp), 18.1v (Vmp) and 11.05A (Imp). Can I use something within a couple of volts and amps to match up with my charger/inverter and does someone have a lead on a few of these ancient panels or similar outputs. I realize I probably can't get the same physical size and will have to adapt to my existing roof mount. I appreciate any assistance or contacts since I've already looked around on line.

matching new panels within + - 10% won't be too bad, the closer the better. maybe think R&R the whole array? missing 5 out of 20, or 10 out of 20?

and did racking fail, or the panel attachment to racks?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Tell us how the panels are wired; affects which matching numbers are most critical.
      And yea, just what kind of fastener held the panels and how did it fail? Bruce Roe

Comment

Originally posted by Introvert View Post
        So several of my old style panels discovered that wind power rules and took off in the hurricane. Now I can try to run on less panels or replace with something with the same or close output.
        I have to match up with the antigue Evergreensolar ES-A-200-fa3 at 200w peak power(Pmp), 18.1v (Vmp) and 11.05A (Imp). Can I use something within a couple of volts and amps to match up with my charger/inverter and does someone have a lead on a few of these ancient panels or similar outputs. I realize I probably can't get the same physical size and will have to adapt to my existing roof mount. I appreciate any assistance or contacts since I've already looked around on line.
        You forgot to tell us the most important piece of information ...
        Are the PV Panels wired in Parallel or wired in Series?

If they are wired in Parallel then match the Vmp as best as possible, while the Imp can vary - higher amps if system allows
        If they are wired in Series then match the Imp as best as possible, while the Vmp can vary - higher volts if system allows.

I believe the size of the Evergreen 200W PV was 37.5" x 65"

Comment

The frame on the roof held and the panels came off the frame brackets. I have four rows of 5 panels and if any panel in the row is affected or in the shade, then the entire row of 5 is affected. I believe that is series hook-up.
          The panels are indeed 37" x 65". Any clues where I can find old ones to match from someone who has upgraded or some in warehouse? That would be the easiest fit.

Comment

Here is a quick-reference data sheet.

Are these going into any kind of combiner before they get to the charger/inverter? What model of charger/inverter do you have?

It might be worth re-arranging the mounting to make full rows of good panels, and just replace an entire row to get back the generating power you've lost.

Edit:
            Maybe you can talk Mike90250 into selling his to you, so he can upgrade
            Last edited by sensij; 11-07-2017, 06:35 PM.
            CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

The frame on the roof held and the panels came off the frame brackets.
              Thanks for the info. I have a theory, that if things start to move around, those clips holding
              the panels will slip out of place and let them go. Panels here are all bolted to the support,
              the panel frame would have to be ripped apart for them to go. But bolts are pretty
              difficult to install on a roof mount. Bruce Roe

Comment

The frame on the roof held and the panels came off the frame brackets. I have four rows of 5 panels and if any panel in the row is affected or in the shade, then the entire row of 5 is affected. I believe that is series hook-up.
                The panels are indeed 37" x 65". Any clues where I can find old ones to match from someone who has upgraded or some in warehouse? That would be the easiest fit.
                The Evergreen 200 W, 205 W & 210 W are the exact same panel with a slightly different measured Vmp and/or Imp - interchangeable for you.
                5 years ago, they were on-sale on eBay after Evergreen filed for bankruptcy, those PV Panels are extremely rare now.

Substitute with something like this ( 200 Watt off-grid ) ...
                http://www.ecodirect.com/Synthesis-P...sis-sp200p.htm

You will need to search and search and search.

If your PV Panels are connected in series, then you need to find replacement PV Panels with Imp = +/- 11 Amps.
                You need to know ( not believe ) exactly how your panels are connected into strings and how the strings are combined.

Comment

Thanks. The Synthesis panel looks like a very close match and I will try them since I can't find the old Evergreen anywhere. I will indeed get someone who knows what they're doing to wire them in a similar fashion as the ones that blew off.....series or parallel!
                  I have a single central inverter for the 20 panels and I can't tell if the Synthesis panels have individual micro inverters....do you know? Can I wire three of them with the other old two Evergreen panels or is it better to spend more and get five Synthesis in a row?

Comment

I tried to move just that last post to its own topic, but messed up and moved the entire thread to a different sub-forum. Hope that doesn't mess anyone up to much.

Edit: at least I got the other post out of here on the 2nd try.
                    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Thanks. The Synthesis panel looks like a very close match and I will try them since I can't find the old Evergreen anywhere. I will indeed get someone who knows what they're doing to wire them in a similar fashion as the ones that blew off.....series or parallel!
                      I have a single central inverter for the 20 panels and I can't tell if the Synthesis panels have individual micro inverters....do you know? Can I wire three of them with the other old two Evergreen panels or is it better to spend more and get five Synthesis in a row?

Comment

Working...
                      X