Wiring panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring panels

I'm finishing off a solar project for our pop up camper. I have a total of 12 100 Watt Renogy 20 volt poly solar panels and I have them running into a Midnite Solar Classic 150. I currently have it set up with two quick disconnect feeds of 10 gauge cable with 30 amp inline fuse. I was wondering if I should run two sets of 6 panels in series that would have open voltage around 120 volts but low amps, or I can add on two more sets and have four sets of 3 panels each at 60 volts. The panels are not going on the roof, theyes are free standing so I can adjust them during the day.
    Would the higher voltage runs be more dangerous with a temporary solar set up with panels laying on the ground (propped up with legs to give it the proper angle).

IMO I would wire the panels to get as high a voltage as possible for the Midnite Solar CC can handle. That CC can handle the 120v input and 1200 watts for a 12volt battery.

Don't worry about the low amps coming from the panels since that CC will convert your input wattage to output wattage and get you somewhere between 80 & 90 charging amps.

Since the panels are on the ground you really need to put some type of barrier "fence" to keep someone getting to the wiring and getting shocked. That barrier should also keep out wild animals that may want to chew on you panel wiring.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
      Since the panels are on the ground you really need to put some type of barrier "fence" to keep someone getting to the wiring and getting shocked. That barrier should also keep out wild animals that may want to chew on you panel wiring.
      With a dozen panels freestanding you need to be careful of gusty winds. One big gust will really ruin your day. I had one (fortunately) panel blow over and shatter in not very strong wind once. The surface area to weight ratio makes them like little glass and aluminum sails with the right wind direction.
      2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Originally posted by littleharbor View Post

With a dozen panels freestanding you need to be careful of gusty winds. One big gust will really ruin your day. I had one (fortunately) panel blow over and shatter in not very strong wind once. The surface area to weight ratio makes them like little glass and aluminum sails with the right wind direction.
        I agree. I have the same issue with my portable panels. Right now they are just connected to brackets screwed to pieces of wood. I have to add ballast or weights to make sure they don't go sailing off into the sunset.

Here is a picture from the back of the panels although they are raised up for connection they will be lowered for use.

Comment

SunEagle
          In your photo left most photo ...
          Why is the left most panel opaque and the right panels are translucent?

Comment

Originally posted by NEOH View Post
            SunEagle
            In your photo left most photo ...
            Why is the left most panel opaque and the right panels are translucent?
            I am not sure. Maybe there was some shade on that panel or the angle when I took the picture. It should look the same as the panel on the right.

The 2 outside panels are 90watt the 2 inside are 80 watt. I purchased them back when I thought I knew what I was doing instead of listening to the forum members telling me to go with 200watt grid tie panels. Live and learn.

Comment

Working...
            X