Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rick2106
    • Oct 2017

Advice Needed - Solar Setup - DIY Campervan

I'm gathering up the components for a solar setup. What I have purchased so far. (all still in boxes) Xantrex SW2000 2000w inverter (1.8k continuous / 3k surge) 6 - 100w mono panels = 600w total, 4 - 6v vmax xtreme 235ah batteries = 12v 470ah (If I keep to 25% discharge) 117.5ah safe usable storage. Makeskyblue 150v 60a mppt controller ($150 controller could be questionable but had good reviews, open to recommendations) 2/0 wire cables for connecting together the battery bank and running to the inverter. This will be installed in a diy campervan, so no super long wire stretches and that brings my first questions. Van is old fixer upper dodge b350 ada hi-top, stripped out inside for the build I'm 6' tall, standing inside is no problem. Fiberglass roof space is 50" wide 13' long, plenty room for my panels. Question: what I have planned is buying 4 3Y connectors, 3 panels to y connectors & 3 panels to y connectors, combination will bring 4 cables from roof inside, 2 + & 2 - down to my controller or bring all 12 down close to the controller using y connect or connect to the controller direct? Any of these configurations would be of any concern? I do not know the loss factor using y connectors, I see their rated 20-30amps, the panels I'm using, labels rate 5.5amps each, doing math, would be close to 36amps but factoring in loss, It's not going to be that much? I would have room to run cables as many cables the most efficient way, I know you never go wrong with the biggest wire the shortest distance. Most mc4 length / run of cables is 10-25ft, most prefab cables are 10 awg, see a few 8 awg, go with prefab 8 awg cable or something else? my longest cable run to furthest panel shouldn't be over 25ft, panels nearest to the battery bank should be closer to 10ft. I live in Florida, a small window a/c would be on my wish list. During peak sunlight hours, would my planned setup keep up (or close) with a energy star 5,000btu window a/c? All feedback welcome, the good, bad or ugly. I have $2k invested in solar components, I do not want to damage $1k battery bank, any advice to modify, help preserve or improve will be very much appreciated. Thank you for your time and for this wonderful forum.
  • littleharbor
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2016

With a 150 voc. max of your controller you can safely series wire 3 panels, series wire the other 3 panels known as 3S/2P and combine those two strings. Then bring the combined output into your controller. Any more than 2 paralleled panels or strings of panels will need to have over current protection ( fuses or circuit breakers). The beauty of an MPPT controller is that you keep the wiring simple and less costly over a PWM controller.
    2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• rick2106
      • Oct 2017

Thank you littleharbor, would running 2 - 150v Controllers to the same bank work more efficiently? 3 panels wired to 1 controller, 3 panels wired to controller #2, both controllers feeding the 4 - 6v / 12v bank?

Comment

• littleharbor
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2016

Why would you want 2 controllers when your one 60 amp controller will handle all your panels?

Comment

• rick2106
          • Oct 2017

I didn't know, sounded like in the reply, running more than 3 panels would equal more than 150v rated for the controller.
          Last edited by rick2106; 10-21-2017, 03:12 PM.

Comment

• littleharbor
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2016

I suggested going 3 in series plus the other 3 in series, then parallel the two strings. which will keep the voltage in a comfortable range. You have 600 watts of solar your 60 amp controller should take up to 720 watts before maxing out.

Comment

• rick2106
              • Oct 2017

Got it, first time around, I did a quick read on my little cell screen and I misunderstood.
              Thank you again, I need all the help I can get

One step closer, I will order 2 sets of 3Y connectors.

I'll get better measurements today on how long my 2 parallel strings running to the controller.

​​​​​​8-awg would be recommended on my 2 strings of cables running into the van?

Last edited by rick2106; 10-21-2017, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Working...