Off Grid Solar Panel System with Generator back up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off Grid Solar Panel System with Generator back up

Last year I installed a solar system at my off grid cabin to take advantage of the free power. I have a 2K Honda quiet generator which is wired into a small 50 amp. panel which has duel input breakers and a 3000 watt modified inverter which is wired into the other input breaker. The input breakers are mechanically interlocked to prevent one from being turned on without the other breaker off. The panel is grounded via 8 ft. ground rod 5 feet from the panel and the panel itself has a ground/neutral ground inside the panel. Everything is grounded to the one ground bar in my panel. 2 weeks ago my Power Bright 3000 watt inverter after 6 months of operation went up in smoke. I had operated a 750 watt toaster and after wards turned off the inverter. The next time I turned it on it cooked. After speaking with Power Bright technical support I wasn't much closer to finding out the cause. They had mention the ground neutral bond in the panel could have been a cause or the inverter may have not had an opportunity to cool down properly after running the toaster. In any event I'm thinking of purchasing a Go Power 30 amp. transfer switch and wiring into the panel which would isolate both systems. Anyone have a recommendation of an inverter type or mfg which might be more reliable or how to modify my system to make it more reliable?

I have a similar system at my off grid cottage. I use Magnum MS4024, 24V Pure Sine Inverter/Charger. It has transfer switch inside, no need to buy & wire additional transfer switch. If I start generator the inverter automatically switches to generator; if no generator power then it's drawing from battery bank.

Comment

I'm running a 12 VDC system. I guess I could look up this model but Is it reliable and does it charge the batteries while on generator?

Comment

I mentioned mine model just as an example. There is a Magnum model for 12V. As for reliability - I pick this model after quite thorough research. It seems like Magnum inverters have very good reputation. Mine is working only two years. It never had any problems until now, works very well. I live in Canada that means cold winter and hot summer. Equipment located in an off-grid cottage and experiencing all weather changes as since the cottage heated only when I or family come and there is no air-conditioning in utility room where the inverter installed.

Yes, my model charges battery while on generator, it happens automatically I do not need to switch anything.
        Right now I am writing this message from the cottage and power comes through the inverter I mentioned.

Comment

Here is the link to Magnum 12V model.
          http://www.magnum-dimensions.com/pro...rger-ms-series

By the way, I am not working for Magnum I just have it and share _mine_ experience for similar application as you have. There are definitely other options that you may look at.

Comment

Originally posted by johnmckenzie View Post
            I'm running a 12 VDC system. I guess I could look up this model but Is it reliable and does it charge the batteries while on generator?
            Since your inverter is dead and needs replacement, this is the perfect opportunity to abandon 12V and move up to a more appropriate system voltage. High draw appliances like your toaster would be better served with a higher system voltage. How many batteries do you have? What charge controller? This change could be as simple as re-arranging the wiring.

Comment

I don't know if it matters ... or if it matters to you, but I am seeing no certifications on the Power Bright. You are looking for UL 1741 certification that means it meets the requirements for home wiring and meets NEC code or at least an inverter that has meet and been tested to UL 458 which is the standard for RV, vehicles and marine grade equipment. IMHO, if it has NO certification, you are just asking for smoke and possibly fire.

And that would be my guess. While it was labeled for 3000 watts ... it may or may not be able to deliver that much for any length of time.

Cotek and Samlex both are in the lower price range that at least have been certified to UL 458. This may help.
              Last edited by Matrix; 10-20-2017, 12:52 PM.
              285Wx9 / MNClassic 150 / CSW4024 / TrojanL16H-ACx4

Comment

MichaelK!,

I currently have
                (3) 12VDC Deka 105 amp. Hour Marine deep cycle batteries.
                (3) 100 watt Renogy panels wired in series
                Renogy 20 amp. MTTP charge controller MT-50
                Wired to one of the input breakers of a small 50 amp. square D panel. The other input breaker is wired to my generator. I have a battery tender charger which I have plugged into my generator that charges the batteries when I'm on generator.

Any advice would be appreciated, I would definitely like my next inverter purchase to be my last. Looking at the post above I should have selected something that met a different UL rating and been more permanent model.

John

Comment

Inverter/ charger is the way to go. Much more convenient and a better battery charger with user adjustable set points.

Comment

Working...
                  X