X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sensij
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by dgdistrb
    What do you think I should do with my inline fuse?
    If my 60A fuse is going to be to small. Do you think I should take it out and just put a disconnect in?
    Because I don't think I can get a 90A fuse that will fit into my holder and will have to be replaced.
    Yeah, just get rid of the 60 A fuse, put in a disconnect there. I'll look at the other combiner later.

(You have some kind of OCPD on the connection from the battery to the CC, right?)
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• dgdistrb
      • Oct 2011

No I don't! This system was a small system I set up a long time ago at my cabin.
      I just retired in February and plan on making this my home. So I'm trying to expand the system and do it safely.
      What size fuse do you think I should put in between the CC and batteries?
      Yes I would like your input on the Midnite Combiner when you get a chance.

Comment

• sensij
        Solar Fanatic
        • Sep 2014

No I don't! This system was a small system I set up a long time ago at my cabin.
        I just retired in February and plan on making this my home. So I'm trying to expand the system and do it safely.
        What size fuse do you think I should put in between the CC and batteries?
        Yes I would like your input on the Midnite Combiner when you get a chance.
        The midnight combiner is nice, but let's take a step back here. What is your battery? You are talking about spending $250+ on a combiner when you could be applying that towards an mppt CC that eliminates the need to run all those panels in parallel. A CC with 150 V max input could probably accept all 6 of those panels wired into a single string, while even a 100 V CC would handle two strings (3 panels each) without needing fuses, allowing you to combine the strings with inexpensive y-connectors.

Comment

• dgdistrb
          • Oct 2011

I have 2 - 200ahr NPP AGM batteries and a C60 Xantrex CC.
          So correct me if I'm wrong. A MPPT CC will let me run my panels in a series and still keep my batteries at 12V?
          Do you have any recommendations on a MPPT CC that isn't to costly that could handle those panels?
          I could keep the Xantrex for a back up.
          Last edited by dgdistrb; 09-06-2017, 08:23 PM.

Comment

• sensij
            Solar Fanatic
            • Sep 2014

I have 2 - 200ahr NPP AGM batteries and a C60 Xantrex CC.
            So correct me if I'm wrong. A MPPT CC will let me run my panels in a series and still keep my batteries at 12V?
            Do you have any recommendations on a MPPT CC that isn't to costly that could handle those panels?
            I could keep the Xantrex for a back up.
            Yes, that is what an mppt controller will do.

Ok, so you have 400 Ah @ 12 V, using a battery that isn't designed for cyclical use. If it lasts a year with daily use, you've probably done well, so it is probably worth making sure that whatever you buy now, will also be appropriate for your next (true deep cycle) battery, too. Are you really committed to 12 V, or would you consider wiring your batteries in series to get to 24 V?

Renogy Commander 60 A is about $400. An Outback FM60 or a Victron Blue 150/60 mppt runs around $500. Stepping up, the TS-MPPT-60 is about $600.

If you can deal with shifting to 24 V, your charge controller only needs to supply 30 A to deliver the same power, and that would give you mppt options for < $200.

Any of those would be able to handle all 6 of your existing panels in a single string, although I'd suggest wiring them up as two strings of three panels to maximize the controller's efficiency.

Comment

• dgdistrb
              • Oct 2011

If I go 24V. I would have to buy a new inverter. I am currently using a Morning Star 300 Pure Sine wave. But it only does 12V.
              If I could find a 24V Pure Sine Wave that is just as efficient at a reasonable price. I would go that route.
              But at this point you have me convinced that I should go with a MPPT CC. And later down the road switch to 24V and invest in another inverter.
              I did find the Outback FM 60 for $450.

I will also use your suggestion of wiring 2 strings. Am I correct, if I do that, can I get away with a 30A MPPT CC?

Comment

• ButchDeal
                Solar Fanatic
                • Apr 2014

If I go 24V. I would have to buy a new inverter. I am currently using a Morning Star 300 Pure Sine wave. But it only does 12V.
                If I could find a 24V Pure Sine Wave that is just as efficient at a reasonable price. I would go that route.
                But at this point you have me convinced that I should go with a MPPT CC. And later down the road switch to 24V and invest in another inverter.
                I did find the Outback FM 60 for $450.
                http://www.ebay.com/itm/Outback-Powe...gAAOSwl1xZsHED
                I will also use your suggestion of wiring 2 strings. Am I correct, if I do that, can I get away with a 30A MPPT CC?
                here is one:

95% efficient peak which is better than the one you have.
                OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• dgdistrb
                  • Oct 2011

Thanks for the links. I see there are some 24V inverters out there.
                  I think the thing to do is take Sensij advice and set up for what else I'm going to have to buy down the road. Batteries, inverters, etc.
                  I do like the Outback FM60. And I think I can expand from there.
                  I'm glad I got on this forum. You guys talked me out of combiner box idea. Thanks

Comment

Working...