No announcement yet.

Figuring out where to start & with what equipment for a big system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Again i thank you guys for the input. I'm trying to do all my research and get my lofty dreams in check before i go ahead and start. In reality if i don't utilize the land the value of it in the real estate market might not be much because of its location and the fact it's land locked but if i keep it and don't utilize it for some kind of an agricultural purpose it will be taxed as recreational and that is stupidly expensive here. I looked into pumps and since my buildings won't be big enough to need zones i will only need 2 maybe 3 circulation pumps and there are ones on the market that sip the energy so that doesn't worry me much. In regards to the fire place, I've lived with them my whole life and my deceased uncle was an engineer and designed a heat sink unit that fits right into the fire box of the fire place and transfers heat into the room. The ones he built for my parents put out an unbelievable amount of heat vs just a regular fire place so my plans would be to construct a couple of them. I will have to look more into the generator set up maybe just for my 220 use. Like i said I'm just researching now to make the least amount of mistakes and spend the least amount to achieve what i want in the end. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by jason6586 View Post
      In reality if i don't utilize the land the value of it in the real estate market might not be much because of its location and the fact it's land locked but if i keep it and don't utilize it for some kind of an agricultural purpose it will be taxed as recreational and that is stupidly expensive here.
      The solution to that is really simple.
      Tell the neighbors you're looking to rent the land to someone to put crops on it.
      Most likely one of them is already farming an adjacent parcel.
      I would think someone already would have been renting the land and would continue to do so.
      If anything, I'd think putting a cabin on it makes it appear more to be just recreational and not agricultural. (And usually improvements like buildings result in significant increases in taxes.)

Almost always land can be rented for more than the annual property taxes. If it can't, then possibly you can appeal the taxes as being too high. Your property could be the exception of course - but probably not.

Comment

Look into tree farm status or current use status for the land. Every state that has these programs have their own variations but generally they are intended to incentivize landowners to keep land undeveloped. My state, NH, has notoriously high property taxes but has a very generous current use statute, I pay $36 in taxes for 82 undeveloped acres. What the state and the towns realize is that undeveloped land needs minimal services and that if someone builds a house on it, in the long run it costs the town especially if there are couple of kids that have to be schooled. If I cut a house lot off the lot that $36 goes up to $2000 and If I build a house on it it could easily go up to $5000 (the trade off is no sales or state income tax). Other states push the agricultural or timber aspect. Generally a good place to start is a county extension agent as they usually know what is availlable and may also know if there is active rental market

Comment

If there was more open land that could be a possibility, as it sits there is only about 13-15 acres that's open and another 7-10 that would be fairly easy to open. My long term plans were to eventually grow vegetable & other crops on the open land and raise some cattle & animals on the lower pasture type land while slowly logging the timber in a management type fashion so if i was to build a homestead type establishment and do any amount of "profitable" agricultural exercises i would get taxed as ag land vs recreational

Comment

Working...
          X