No announcement yet.

My Small Solar Project in Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's just call the configuration in your picture a 2S3P (two series, three parallel) instead of a 2S2P. That should help.

Comment

[QUOTE=john95;n357470]
      Originally posted by littleharbor View Post

This is how I have the 4x 320 watt solar panels wired:
      Each panel produces at least 6 Amps
      2 are wired in series and 2 in parallel to get 72 Volts all combined. From all 4 I get a positive and a negative that are attached to the charger.

The readings on the charger @ 12:00pm are:

IN:
      68.6 V
      4.9 Amps

According to these previous readings the panels should be producing 336.14 watts?
      Even at 9 Amps max which the panels are rated will not produce even 80% of their capacity.

OUT:
      25.5 V
      12 Amps
      the attached picture is correct (except it has 3 pairs instead of 2) but your description is confusing.

Comment

Originally posted by AzRoute66 View Post
        Let's just call the configuration in your picture a 2S3P (two series, three parallel) instead of a 2S2P. That should help.
        let's not call it that way especially taking into account he has 4 panels in total. They need to be wired as on the pic he attached himself.

Comment

[QUOTE=max2k;n357476]
          Originally posted by john95 View Post

the attached picture is correct (except it has 3 pairs instead of 2) but your description is confusing.
          Yes, the attached picture is for 6 panels wired in serial/parallel. This is for references purpose only. I have 4 panels connected in the same way as the pictured attached. I should have edited the picture to show exactly how I have my 4 panels wired.

Comment

This picture shows better the wiring of my 4x 320 watt panels wired in 2S2P.
            Notice how the amps double from 4 Amp to 8 Amp and the 12 V double to 24 volts in this example.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by john95; 08-05-2017, 05:38 PM.

Comment

This picture shows better the wiring of my 4x 320 watt panels wired in 2S2P.
              Notice how the amps double from 4 Amp to 8 Amp and the 12 V double to 24 volts in this example.
              yep, that's how it is supposed to be

Comment

My small off grid solar system upgraded from 4 batteries to 8 batteries:

4x Mission Monocrystalline 320 Watt 24 volt Solar Panels
                Outback FlexMax 80 Charge Controller
                Go Power 1500 Watt 24 Volt Inverter
                8x 6 Volt Interstate deep cycle Extreme 24 Volt battery bank, 450 Amps, 10.8 kW storage

My loads are less than 400 watts per hour, 7 hours daily (about 2.8kW)
                3x 9 watt lights bulbs, 8" fan, 65" TV, Computer, Cable Modem, router & Switch.

Do you guys like my system so far?

Comment

My small off grid solar system upgraded from 4 batteries to 8 batteries:

4x Mission Monocrystalline 320 Watt 24 volt Solar Panels
                  Outback FlexMax 80 Charge Controller
                  Go Power 1500 Watt 24 Volt Inverter
                  8x 6 Volt Interstate deep cycle Extreme 24 Volt battery bank, 450 Amps, 10.8 kW storage

My loads are less than 400 watts per hour, 7 hours daily (about 2.8kW)
                  3x 9 watt lights bulbs, 8" fan, 65" TV, Computer, Cable Modem, router & Switch.

Do you guys like my system so far?
                  Well based on that hardware I would say you have a balanced system that should be able to safely supply 2.8kWh a day.

My only question is approximately how much did everything (including wires, connectors, overcurrent devices and racking) cost to build it?

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

Well based on that hardware I would say you have a balanced system that should be able to safely supply 2.8kWh a day.

My only question is approximately how much did everything (including wires, connectors, overcurrent devices and racking) cost to build it?
                    About $2,800 ~ $3,000 plus my labor, which is the most expensive part. A certified technician would probably charge me $5K ~ $7K

Comment

About $2,800 ~ $3,000 plus my labor, which is the most expensive part. A certified technician would probably charge me $5K ~ $7K
                      That is a good price for a system that can generate more than 2kWh a day.

I spent about $2500 on my small system but can only generate about 700watt hours a day. Biggest issue was the high cost of using battery panels, a low end PWM CC and AGM batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

That is a good price for a system that can generate more than 2kWh a day.

I spent about $2500 on my small system but can only generate about 700watt hours a day. Biggest issue was the high cost of using battery panels, a low end PWM CC and AGM batteries.
                        I'm very happy and satisfied for what I got so far. I guess it is dirt cheap. I'm learning lots of stuff as I continue improving my little system. One of the things that I got now is reliability.

I have electricity all the time without any interruption. This is very important to me because I have a home surveillance camera system that if the electricity goes down then it locks viewing from the internet and I can't control the system from my work. The system has to be rebooted locally for the cameras to be seen from the internet. Also my router and switches go crazy and internet goes down in my house if electricity goes down.

Eventually, I want to get a Tesla Powerwall battery, it is very expensive for now. About $6K for 14kWh of storage. I have 10.8 kWh on flooded batteries for a fraction of the cost of a PowerWall battery.

The guy who sold me the batteries told me that these batteries last working in golf cars from 5 ~ 7 years, with my use they could last even more. But let's assume that they last me 3 years only, that's $2.74 a day for the whole solar system. Definitely I'll pay even more a day for reliability and for having my own power. Right now by 11:00am my batteries are fully charged. Isn't it great?

Comment

I have electricity all the time without any interruption. This is very important to me because I have a home surveillance camera system that if the electricity goes down then it locks viewing from the internet and I can't control the system from my work. The system has to be rebooted locally for the cameras to be seen from the internet. Also my router and switches go crazy and internet goes down in my house if electricity goes down.

The guy who sold me the batteries told me that these batteries last working in golf cars from 5 ~ 7 years, with my use they could last even more. But let's assume that they last me 3 years only, that's $2.74 a day for the whole solar system. Definitely I'll pay even more a day for reliability and for having my own power. Right now by 11:00am my batteries are fully charged. Isn't it great?
                          Thats good; keeping essential security and communications power backed up. I have started blocking out
                          what it would take here so that the TV distribution, cameras, alarm, bat maintainers, and computer could all
                          ride through a short or long AC dropout. Not much power, but spread around and at different voltages. Some
                          solar could guarantee no time limit. A really elegant version would use the vehicle batteries it normally
                          maintains, as the battery plant. Bruce Roe

Comment

Working...
                          X