X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • john95
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2015

My Small Solar Project in Progress

I'm installing some of the components already. I have accomplished this based on the info that you kindly have provided me. Please tell me if I'm missing something. Here are some pictures of the project.
    Attached Files
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

It will work well in Alaska in the winter. The panels are nearly vertical, and they should be tilted to be perpendicular to the sun, Otherwise, you are only going to get 40% of nameplate or less.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• ButchDeal
      Solar Fanatic
      • Apr 2014

I don't know about that inverter but the outback is not rated to be outdoors.
      OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• john95
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Mike90250
        It will work well in Alaska in the winter. The panels are nearly vertical, and they should be tilted to be perpendicular to the sun, Otherwise, you are only going to get 40% of nameplate or less.
        Well, I did a test in different positions and regardless of position I get between 72 and 76 volts. Even without sun heat, just light about 7pm I get about 65 ~ 70 volts which is great. I'm in California.

Comment

• john95
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by ButchDeal
          I don't know about that inverter but the outback is not rated to be outdoors.
          It is a portable system. The batteries and components are going into the garage when fully charged. Also, I'll make it rain proof so the components don't get wet when raining. Good observation! Thanks.

Comment

• max2k
            • May 2015

Originally posted by john95

Well, I did a test in different positions and regardless of position I get between 72 and 76 volts. Even without sun heat, just light about 7pm I get about 65 ~ 70 volts which is great. I'm in California.
            panels produce current, voltage stays more or less the same within meaningful power range but current value is defined by irradiation.

Comment

• ButchDeal
              Solar Fanatic
              • Apr 2014

Ok a few things wrong here.

Voltage will be the same pretty much under almost any azimuth / tilt. Amps will vary.
              PV does not work on heat or "sun heat" either. In fact the heat will cut performance.

Comment

• john95
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2015

Originally posted by max2k

panels produce current, voltage stays more or less the same within meaningful power range but current value is defined by irradiation.
                How could I know when the panels are giving their maximum in watts? These are 320 watt rated panels.

Comment

• john95
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2015

Originally posted by ButchDeal

Ok a few things wrong here.

Voltage will be the same pretty much under almost any azimuth / tilt. Amps will vary.
                  PV does not work on heat or "sun heat" either. In fact the heat will cut performance.
                  I tried with a 12 volt fan using a 100 watt 12 volt and the fan spins fast in multiple positions. Not much difference. I guess as long as the sun is hitting them is fine but I could be wrong.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Apr 2014

How could I know when the panels are giving their maximum in watts? These are 320 watt rated panels.
                    When they are directly pointed at the sun. Or use an ameter.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Apr 2014

I tried with a 12 volt fan using a 100 watt 12 volt and the fan spins fast in multiple positions. Not much difference. I guess as long as the sun is hitting them is fine but I could be wrong.
                      Your modules produce considerably more than the fan needs.

Comment

• max2k
                        • May 2015

what do you need that for? If you're just checking the panels measuring short circuit current should have give you good idea. In real life MPPT controller takes care of tracking maximum power point of the panels under constantly changing conditions.

Comment

• john95
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Aug 2015

I'll connect all the components this weekend and do more testing. So far batteries are fully charged. My load are: lights use (12 watt LED), computer, fan & TV; about 300 watts, which is what the Go Power 1500 watt inverter reports consuming. Quality of electricity is great! I guess better than the POCO. Also, I'll buy a 70 watt solar refrigerator, a 19" LED TV and more LED lights. Reducing watts consumption helps a lot.

Comment

• SunEagle
                            Super Moderator
                            • Oct 2012

The best way to get the most out of a solar panel is to point them due South (if you live in the Northern part of the world) and have them at an angle in the Summer close to the Latitude of where you live . For my area the angle would be about 28 degrees since that is also close to my latitude location.

In the Winter time the angle needs to be increased since the sun is lower on the horizon.

My portable panels have 3 different set points that allow me to adjust them if needed. I would suggest you build some type of mounting system that allows you some flexibility to adjust the angle and pointing direction.

Here is a couple of pictures of 4 of my panels tilted at the highest angle to allow connections. Once they are wired to my fused combiner box I can lower them. Since they are also on individual wooden bases they can be pointed to the best compass direction.
                            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                            This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

• john95
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by SunEagle
                              The best way to get the most out of a solar panel is to point them due South (if you live in the Northern part of the world) and have them at an angle in the Summer close to the Latitude of where you live . For my area the angle would be about 28 degrees since that is also close to my latitude location.

In the Winter time the angle needs to be increased since the sun is lower on the horizon.

My portable panels have 3 different set points that allow me to adjust them if needed. I would suggest you build some type of mounting system that allows you some flexibility to adjust the angle and pointing direction.

Here is a couple of pictures of 4 of my panels tilted at the highest angle to allow connections. Once they are wired to my fused combiner box I can lower them. Since they are also on individual wooden bases they can be pointed to the best compass direction.
                              Thanks for posting those pics. You are giving me good ideas. Those are very nice!. My panels are 72 cells, very heavy panels, about 50 lbs with the 4x2 pieces of wood. I want to tilt them in the right position/direction to get the maximum power, possible I may install some wheels to move them around.

Comment

Working...