• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • extrafu
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2016

Went live this past Saturday

Hi guys,

After many months of reading and planning, my system went live this past Saturday. I still need to put on 12 more solar panels and hook them on the extra Conext 600-80 CC but for now, all is good! I also need to connect the AGS and the Conext Battery Monitor.

I would like to thank all members who helped me - with a special mention to Sunking and Mike90250

So far, I haven't used the system at all, so the batteries have been floated for the past 4 days

Thanks!
    Attached Files
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

You arre welcome.

Looking good and if you clean up some of that loose wiring it would look like a Pro Install. Over all very good but one thing catches my eye, your batteries. Maybe superstition or electrical codes, matters not where it comes from you want to elevate the batteries off the floor. Need not be elaborate or fancy, a wood pallet would be good. You got a great spot in the corner for the batteries, just perfect size for a wood pallet. Bet it fits like a glove.

May not be apparent to you now, but it will show its face later in the form of problems avoided by having them elevated.
    • They stay cooler.
    • Already above Fork Lift Level if needed moved or replaced. Just slide them over with baby powder.
    • Makes leaks, spills, messes, and all around cleaning much easier and accessible. Also makes spill containment possible for large banks.
    • Easier to work around when they are elevated a bit, and you will be meeting Mr. Ben Dover and Elbow Grease
    • Isolates them electrically from the building structure Lessen's the chance of arc flash with clumsy humans with tools in hand.
    Ever think about those things?
    Last edited by Sunking; 08-02-2017, 07:32 PM.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• extrafu
      Solar Fanatic
      • Apr 2016

Hey Sunking - Yep, I did clean up the loose wires and connected the Conext Battery Monitor.

I'll take your advice and raise the batteries from the floor when I build my small battery box. Since it's a new construction, I'll ask my contractor to put a gas pipe nearby the wall left of the 2nd CC and bring it to the roof. I'll use that to evacuate any potential gas from the batteries.
      Last edited by extrafu; 08-05-2017, 08:20 PM.

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by extrafu
        Hey Sunking - Yep, I did clean up the loose wires and connected the Conext Battery Monitor.

I'll take your advice and raise the batteries from the floor when I build my small battery box. Since it's a new construction, I'll ask my contractor to put a gas pipe nearby the wall left of the 2nd CC and bring it to the roof. I'll use that to evacuate any potential gas from the batteries.
        Not so sure that is needed. Without a Hydrogen Detector and Fan Switch not going to do much of anything. Is that space confined and trap gasses?
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• extrafu
          Solar Fanatic
          • Apr 2016

Originally posted by Sunking

Not so sure that is needed. Without a Hydrogen Detector and Fan Switch not going to do much of anything. Is that space confined and trap gasses?
          No the garage is pretty big but the mechanical room within it holds everything (the inverter, CCs, batteries on the pics above as well as a pellet boiler, propane water heater and a big buffer tank).

IIRC the Conext gear will automatically start a fan (it has a connector for it in the inverter) whenever equalization is on - that might be good enough for me.

Comment

• Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

OK just remember any fans, controls or electronics has to be Intrinsically Safe. Does no good if your hydrogen detector hydrogen, and explodes when the fan motor starts up or a spark in a switch that controls the fan.

There is a passive 100% effective way to do this. Requires no power or controls. Hydrogen goes straight up and collects in the ceilings. All you need is a vent pipe in the ceiling going straight up to outside air.

Garages are OK without ventilation because there is usually enough air exchange to prevent the build up of hydrogen. Hydrogen needs to reach 4% saturation to be explosive. That is quite a bit of gas. One good thing about hydrogen fires. They put themselves out as hydrogen ashes is WATER. The whole damn earth is covered with hydrogen ash.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

• extrafu
              Solar Fanatic
              • Apr 2016

Added the 2nd ground mount this past weekend! It's getting connected this coming weekend to the second Conext 600-80 CC.
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...