Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New batteries - no use for 2-3 months

Hello,

I plan to order and get 8 x Rolls S-550 batteries for a future 48V configuration. I plan on getting them ASAP to make sure that when I need them in 8-12 weeks from now, I'll have them ready. The batteries will be purchased brand new.

What care should I take while having them in hand with AC poco available? I was thinking about wiring them in series (because I will have the 4/0 AWG cables) and letting them connected on an inexpensive but 'good' battery charger that would keep them at float charge.

If that makes sense, any recommendations for an inexpensive float charger? Also is it ok to start with float charge even if the battery are brand new and have possibility low SoC?

Thanks,

You do no tneed a big charger with huge cable just yet. All you need is a good Float Charger.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Sunking I'll already have the 7 x 4/0 AWG cables so I could use them! Any recommendation for a good 48V float charger?

Comment

Either Iota or a Golf Cart charger.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Thanks! I guess from their specs (http://www.iotaengineering.com/pplib/spec2.pdf), I would require the DLS-54-13.

Comment

Any opinion on the Schumacher 48V charger (like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-IN...dp/B009YP8PH2/) - it would be easier to get for me than the Iota.

Comment

Originally posted by extrafu View Post
              Any opinion on the Schumacher 48V charger (like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-IN...dp/B009YP8PH2/) - it would be easier to get for me than the Iota.
              You don't even need something that good. But it will work.

Comment

I wouldn't mind a cheaper option for the little use I will have of the charger. Do you have something in mind to suggest?

Thanks!

Comment

I wouldn't mind a cheaper option for the little use I will have of the charger. Do you have something in mind to suggest?
                  For storage, the best charger is just a plain ole FLOAT CHARGER. In fact there is no better Charger than Float Chargers. They are the kindest and gentlest you can use and is why utilities use them to maintain the battery plants, and their batteries last 10 or more years. Some approaching 50 years for pure lead Round Cells. Forget it you cannot use the cells they use.

The only reason you see these so called 3, 4, and 5-Stage Chargers is because they are faster and can recharge in 10 to 16 hours. You need that for a battery that is daily cycled. A Float Charger can take up to 24 hours. Both can be the same size in terms of Amps, but Float will take longer. 3-Stage or fast charger require the voltage be elevated to GASSING VOLTAGe which is an Over Charge and causes plate corrosion. Example a 12 volt battery Absorb Voltage is 14.4 to 14.7 volts. Gassing starts at 14.2.

Float Chargers voltage is below Gassing Voltage and on a 12 volt battery depending on the alloy and acidity is 13.2 to 13.8 volts. But that is not exactly why you want to use a Float Charger for storage. With the proper Float Voltage, you can leave the battery connected for years. It will hold the battery at 100% SOC and neither corrosion of the plates (over charge) or allow Sulfate Crystals to form (under charge). That is why utility batteries last so long. They never discharge them.

Some of the Schumacher are good and some not quite so good. You can use one of the ones with 3-Stage Charging and what you are looking for is the 3rd stage is FLOAT and does not terminate the charge. Most of the 48 volt Golf Cart chargers do this. So whatever you buy, make sure it has Float and does not time out and turn off. A bonus is one with Temp Compensation, and coupled with nice cool dry room is great of between freezing and 50 degree F is perfect. Heat kills, cold preserves.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Thanks Sunking as always for your valuable answers.

I found this one from Stanley which is quite cheap: https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-GBCPR...dp/B005DKIIJW/

"3-Stage high-frequency automatic rapid charge with Float Mode" and supports 0-40 amps and 6-48 volts.

I don't necessarily want to go cheap to damage 3,200 CAN$ battery bank, but I also don't to pay 500$ for something I'll only use 8 to 12 weeks!

Comment

I found this one from Stanley which is quite cheap.
                      You are welcome. I cannot comment on the Stanley Charger, never touched the stuff. Not sure how many amps you need, but if it is say more than 20-amps try searching for Surplus Telecom Rectifiers like Lorain, Peco, LaMarch etc.. Tons of them out there that have been removed from service and replaced with Switch Mode rectifiers. One catch will likely be, especially any over 30-amps will be 208 240 volts. I use them to charge golf carts and lithium batteries. The quality of those telecom is almost foolproof and well beyond anything at the consumer level. They will have already been in service for 10 to 30 years, and will take you to your grave. If you are good with electronics, replace the potentiometer with a control circuit to set the voltage in 3-stages. Just about all come with a switch called Float and EQ with two pots you can set the voltage anywhere from 50 to 64 volts. Go to Flea Bay ans search 48 Volt Rectifier. A telecom Rectifier is made to run at 100% until the war destroys it.

Now if all you need is a straight Float Charger, you do not need a lot of amps. 2 to 5 amps is more than enough.
                      MSEE, PE

Comment

I found this one from Stanley which is quite cheap: https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-GBCPR...dp/B005DKIIJW/

"3-Stage high-frequency automatic rapid charge with Float Mode" and supports 0-40 amps and 6-48 volts.

I don't necessarily want to go cheap to damage 3,200 CAN$ battery bank, but I also don't to pay 500$ for something I'll only use 8 to 12 weeks!
                        Don't buy the Stanley charger, unless you plan to replace the cord. I have had one for 2yrs now and within 6 months, the accessories cord melted and became unusable. The Stanley charger is also loud and has a high frequency audible sound. Now the fan is stalling and needs replaced. I would steer clear of this charger unless you plan to make some user mods and watch it closely.

Comment

Logan5 Thanks for the advice!

Comment

Working...
                          X