Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MPPT Charge controllers and Panel Connections

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Sunking View Post
    Hope you can afford replacing those batteries every year or two. They are not deep cycle batteries.

    As for me I am out of this thread. You cannot help a fool and no point in trying.
    Thanks for your constructive criticism FOOL. Over 20,000 post with not much content.....

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Simo View Post

      Thanks for your constructive criticism FOOL. Over 20,000 post with not much content.....
      Welcome to the world of not pulling punches. While SK might be rude he is trying to help you not waste your money.

      I felt the same way when I came to this forum and got put off from some real up front and frank language. I did not listen and ended up spending well over $2500 on a solar battery system which will deliver maybe 600Wh a day which is pretty pitiful.

      Try not to be put off by what some people say and hopefully you won't make the same mistake I made and others after me.
      Last edited by SunEagle; 04-24-2017, 09:01 AM. Reason: corrected battery watt hour value

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
        Wow. My guess is that system cost at least $75k and those batteries will be a money pit for years to come. I guess the OP can justify that type of expense to live off grid but if it was my money I would find another way to get power to my home.
        Yep he will learn a lesson the old fashion way by loosing lot's of money. $30,000 to replace those batteries in 1 year. Maybe next time he will try to learn something. On eof the first thing he will learn is never ever take anything off-grid if there are other choices.
        MSEE, PE

        Comment


        • #19
          Where do you get your pricing from....... door to door battery sales?

          Solar Troll.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Simo View Post
            Where do you get your pricing from....... door to door battery sales?

            Solar Troll.
            Hahaha. SK has probably forgotten more about batteries then you or I will ever learn.

            Batteries can be found at all prices from many different sources. But if you are looking for quality batteries you need to go to a company that makes them and not some 3rd party website. You never know what you will really get going that route.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Simo View Post
              Where do you get your pricing from....... door to door battery sales?
              Nope from Battery distributors. Very familiar with those batteries. Lots of Cellular Telephone companies use them and I have purchased hundreds of them. 1500 AH cells go for $1200 to $1300 each x 24 units = $28,800 new in the USA

              You will be lucky top get 2 years service out of them. In my book that makes you a damn fool using batteries that are not made to do what you want. You are buying a battery made for Telecom, not daily deep cycle applications.

              If I had to guess you are a big enough fool to buy them used from a Telecom Second Hand Surplus. Let me tell you how that works because I use to do it. After 10 years of Float Service, telecom have to pay big bucks to dispose of them and held responsible for them via the Employment Prevention Agency. So we got smart and turned a huge liability into small change asset. We find a sucker, I mean some one to pay us scrap price for them and sign the paper work taking the 6000 pound monkey off our backs.

              Either that or you are buying the Chi-Com counterfeits called Taico for $400 per unit from the Chi-Com Ebay Alibaba. If that is what you are getting, I pitty the fool who owns them. You are about to make the biggest mistake in your life.

              So which one are you buying? The second hand used Victron, or Chi-Com counterfeits?

              Bottom line here is quality batteries cost $150 to $200 per Kwh of storage for a 5 year battery. 48 volt 1500 AH battery has 72 Kwh of capacity. Simple 5th grade math. Telecom Station Batteries made for Float Service like the ones you are buying cost $300 to $500 per Kwh and not what you want. They are not made for Cycle Service. They are made for Float Service.

              So you have two choices:

              Listen and learn the easy cheap way.

              or

              You can learn the hard way by loosing a lot of money.

              For you I recommend the hard way. Loose your money. But I wil give you one tip. Look for a Rolls S1860 a 2-volt 1485 AH battery.
              Last edited by Sunking; 04-23-2017, 11:58 AM.
              MSEE, PE

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
                ... I did not listen and ended up spending well over $2500 on a solar battery system which will deliver maybe 600kWh a day which is pretty pitiful.
                Typo there maybe???
                SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by inetdog View Post

                  Typo there maybe???
                  Yah. I meant 600 Watt hours.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Sunking View Post

                    ....For you I recommend the hard way. Loose your money. But I wil give you one tip. Look for a Rolls S1860 a 2-volt 1485 AH battery.
                    15Kw of PV into a 72Kwh battery bank tells me he's trying to overcompensate an undersized battery bank. He'll be lucky to get even 3 years out of the Rolls S1860.

                    WWW

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Simo View Post
                      Looking at running a rural homestead on standalone solar.
                      15kw panels
                      2 x 8kva inverters
                      24 x 2v 1500ah OPzV batteries.
                      OK. Going purely from the solar power you will need a 2400-4000ah battery (greater than C/13, less than C/8.) So to get a good battery system, like a Rolls 2YS31P system (24 x 2 volt, 2430 amp hours) you'll be spending around $25,400. How long they last will depend on how hard you push them. Using 40% of their capacity a day you might get 5 years.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Wy_White_Wolf View Post
                        15Kw of PV into a 72Kwh battery bank tells me he's trying to overcompensate an undersized battery bank. He'll be lucky to get even 3 years out of the Rolls S1860.
                        Good catch, did not catch the panel power. Let the idiot burn his money up. Will teach him a great lesson he will never forget and may never recover from. He is down under with no access to quality batteries. Rolls would cost him a fortune.
                        Last edited by Sunking; 04-24-2017, 05:32 PM.
                        MSEE, PE

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by jflorey2 View Post
                          OK. Going purely from the solar power you will need a 2400-4000ah battery (greater than C/13, less than C/8.) So to get a good battery system, like a Rolls 2YS31P system (24 x 2 volt, 2430 amp hours) you'll be spending around $25,400. How long they last will depend on how hard you push them. Using 40% of their capacity a day you might get 5 years.
                          He lives down under, no access to good batteries.

                          MSEE, PE

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Sunking View Post

                            Good catch, did not catch the panel power. Let the idiot burn his money up. Will teach him a great lesson he will never forget and may never recover from. He is down under with no access to quality batteries. Rolls would cost him a fortune.
                            What do you mean may never recover from?

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by jflorey2 View Post
                              OK. Going purely from the solar power you will need a 2400-4000ah battery (greater than C/13, less than C/8.) So to get a good battery system, like a Rolls 2YS31P system (24 x 2 volt, 2430 amp hours) you'll be spending around $25,400. How long they last will depend on how hard you push them. Using 40% of their capacity a day you might get 5 years.
                              Thanks for the info.
                              Can you explain why this battery sizing causes problems for my install. By my calculations 1200ah is more than enough for my requirements. I have upsized the panel capacity to cope with bad weather etc.
                              2x 8kva inverters are to cope with short high load requirements only.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Simo View Post

                                Thanks for the info.
                                Can you explain why this battery sizing causes problems for my install. By my calculations 1200ah is more than enough for my requirements. I have upsized the panel capacity to cope with bad weather etc.
                                2x 8kva inverters are to cope with short high load requirements only.
                                You have to meet max and min charge/discharge limits from C/8 to C/12. With 14880 watts on a 48 volt battery will produce 310 amps. That means the battery has to be no smaller than 8 x 310 amps = 2480 AH and no larger than 12 x 310 amps = 3720 AH. If you do not meet minimum charge requirements FLA batteries will stratify and AGM will not recombine. Charge them to fast and you cook them.

                                You say you sized then to meet your demands. I think not because if you had used 5 day reserve capacity, you would fall between C/8 and C/12. Ideally you want C/10 charge current and that would be a 3100 AH battery.
                                MSEE, PE

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X