X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sapruden
    • Feb 2017

Battery bank questions

First post.
    I have no training on solar power other then what I have read on the Internet.
    But I am in Kenya right know working on an orphanage. And the group im with has asked me to try and design a solar power system so they can go off grid. Power here is very expensive and to see if it would be cost effective.
    So the supplies here are fairly limited and the highest amp hr battery I can get my hands on is 200amp hr.
    And what we would need would be 12 000 amp hr for 4 days of reserve.

But I can not reach near that with 2 strings in parallel . How bad is it to have 3 strings? Will it drastically lower the lifespan of the batteries?

Thank you
  • ButchDeal
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2014

It is going to take a hell of a lot more than 3 strings to get to 12,000 Ah using 200ah batteries.
    Are you using a 48V battery bank?
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

If you think power is expensive from the Power Company, it is 5 to 10 more expensive via Solar. You get to replace those batteries ever couple of year. Never going to happen is what you will learn.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Sapruden
        First post.
        I have no training on solar power other then what I have read on the Internet.
        But I am in Kenya right know working on an orphanage. And the group im with has asked me to try and design a solar power system so they can go off grid. Power here is very expensive and to see if it would be cost effective.
        So the supplies here are fairly limited and the highest amp hr battery I can get my hands on is 200amp hr.
        And what we would need would be 12 000 amp hr for 4 days of reserve.

But I can not reach near that with 2 strings in parallel . How bad is it to have 3 strings? Will it drastically lower the lifespan of the batteries?

Thank you
        I believe you have a few numbers wrong. There is no way to use 200Ah batteries to safely build a 12000Ah system.

What voltage have you planned for your battery system and what is your 4 day Watt Hour consumption estimate?

Comment

Working...