Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Designing off-grid lighting system- do I have the right parts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Designing off-grid lighting system- do I have the right parts?

Hi everyone- I'm designing an off-grid lighting system for my home and I have a few questions about the parts I have picked out. I already have two solar panels with a peak power of 260W, a current of 8.5 A, and a 30.7V output. With those things in mind, I have the following parts picked out-

24v gel battery - https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...396232186.html
    Already have a WPD-06
    12-24V Charge controller- http://www.ebay.com/itm/LCD-30A-12V-...oAAOSwmrlUsLH~

The lighting system will be a 24V system. Are there any incompatibilities between these parts that I'm not aware of, or will this system work for my house?
    Thanks!

Hello Off Grid and welcome to Solar Panel Talk

I did not see a price for that battery so I can't tell if it is a good deal or not. Although even though it is labled as a deep cycle solar battery I have heard that GEL type batteries do not last long when used for an off grid solar system.

I will say that the CC you show is both cheap and IMO not a true MPPT type so it will not do what it claims it should in the way of using the full panel wattage of those 2 x 260watt panels to charge the battery.
    Last edited by SunEagle; 02-13-2017, 12:45 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Do not use Gel batteries.
      You have a Counterfeit Charge Controller. How do I know it is Counterfeit you ask? Real simple a real 30 amp MPPT controller will cost you $250 to $350.

A good 2 year 24 volt 200 AH AGM battery will cost you $700 to $900, and a good 30 Amp MPPT will run you $300. You got what you paid for, sorry.

This part you will really like. They say it is a 24 volt 200 AH battery. Only problem if you look at it you will find it is 12 volts. You got Chi-Commed. The warranty is worthless if you bought it through Alibaba.
      Last edited by Sunking; 02-13-2017, 06:28 PM.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Off Grid View Post

The lighting system will be a 24V system. Are there any incompatibilities between these parts that I'm not aware of, or will this system work for my house?
        Thanks!
        Just be aware that in daytime charging, the battery voltage will approach 30V, maybe more during EQ cycles. So your LED driver circuits need to be able to manage the high battery bus voltage in the daytime. 34V is a common design point

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Thank all of you for the detailed replies! Luckily, I have yet to buy any of these parts- I was looking to go cheaper, but it seems that by doing that I've walked myself into nearly buying bad parts. However, I have read that gel batteries are a good low-maintenance solution for off-grid designs, but the fact that two of you agree that they aren't good has me rethinking that decision. What batteries would you guys recommend instead of a gel battery?

Once again, thank you all so much for your help!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post

Just be aware that in daytime charging, the battery voltage will approach 30V, maybe more during EQ cycles. So your LED driver circuits need to be able to manage the high battery bus voltage in the daytime. 34V is a common design point
            Hi, Mike! Thanks for your reply. I have a WPD-06, and if I'm not mistaken, this device should convert the varying battery voltage to the voltage my LEDs will be using, correct?

Comment

Thank all of you for the detailed replies! Luckily, I have yet to buy any of these parts- I was looking to go cheaper, but it seems that by doing that I've walked myself into nearly buying bad parts. However, I have read that gel batteries are a good low-maintenance solution for off-grid designs, but the fact that two of you agree that they aren't good has me rethinking that decision. What batteries would you guys recommend instead of a gel battery?

Once again, thank you all so much for your help!
              If you want a quality off grid system without worrying how the batteries are installed then go with FLA type.

If you need to have sealed batteries go with AGM type. Although they are more expensive then FLA and have shorter lifespans.

There are some new Lithium chemistry batteries that seem to be making the news. Although IMO they are much more expensive and require a BMS charging system designed for that type of battery.

Comment

Use a good quality Flooded Lead Acid battery. AGM has their place but cost twice as much and last half as long as FLA. Do not use Gel. There is nothing inexpensive about off-grid. Anything you take off grid is going to cost you 5 to 10 times more than buying it from the Power Company the rest of your life in battery replacement cost alone.

So ask yourself why you want off grid. The answer cannot be to save money or save mother earth because both are false.
                Last edited by Sunking; 02-14-2017, 03:15 PM.
                MSEE, PE

Comment

Hi, Mike! Thanks for your reply. I have a WPD-06, and if I'm not mistaken, this device should convert the varying battery voltage to the voltage my LEDs will be using, correct?
                  I've got no idea what a WPD-06 is. Or do I care. Your job, is to select the proper parts. LED's "want" to be current driven, so they often have "driver" boxes that work with them to supply the proper power to the LED. As long as the WPD-06 is happy and safe with 20-36VDC, it and the LEDs should be fine,

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                  || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                  || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                  gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...
                  X