Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • whazzatt
    • Mar 2012

getting closer this time, I hope...

In the past I started by asking what options my equipment afforded me. Now I'm going to specify a small load first. Five 4 watt lights running for six hours per night, so 120 watt hours. Add a but for inefficiencies, so 140 watt hours. Two day autonomy (I'm in sunny South Africa) so 140*2*2 = 560.

560/24=23.3 so make it 24 Ah needed for battery bank.

Looks like I can get four 12Ah 12V batteries at a good price; my reading makes me think I can put two in series for one string, and another two in series for another string, then connecting in parallel, making 24Ah at 24V.

Now to the panel and the CC. I was given a 130W panel with the spec sheet (link) saying it's 24V. Already have a PWM 10A charge controller. I know from a previous topic I tarted that the panel will only operate at 90W with the PWM on the 24V battery bank. I'm happy with this.

I used a site to calculate that the 90W from the panel will take 3.5 to 4 hours to charge the batteries from 50% dod assuming good light. An additional thought here is to double the Ah and get two 45 Ah 12V batteries, connect them in series, which would presumably charge in 7-8 hours?

To connect the 12V lights to the 24V battery bank, I expect that I'll need a 24V to 12V converter of some kind.

Any confirmation or correction of my thinking welcome...

Back of panel:
    2 info back of panel.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by whazzatt; 01-26-2017, 02:26 AM.
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

That's a nice 41V 4A PV panel
    What else have you got, or what are you trying to do ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

IMO those panels have high Voc and low wattage ratings which would complicate any large wattage installation (on or off grid) due to the multiple strings needed to stay below the MAX DC voltage rating of any type of inverter.

They may also be obsolete and no longer supported by Tenesol.

Comment

• whazzatt
        • Mar 2012

Removed due to posting and editing issues.
        Last edited by whazzatt; 01-26-2017, 02:05 AM.

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by whazzatt
          Something went seriously wrong with my first post! Let's try this again:

I have asked questions about my equipment and 'options' they provide me before, but it got messy so I am going to have another go here after having done a lot more reading
          A couple of your posts went to the Mod review process before they become available for everyone to see. I am not sure why but it usually happens when you attach a link or document that is not recognized as being safe.

Comment

• whazzatt
            • Mar 2012

Last edited by whazzatt; 01-26-2017, 02:05 AM.

Comment

• whazzatt
              • Mar 2012

Last edited by whazzatt; 01-26-2017, 02:04 AM.

Comment

• whazzatt
                • Mar 2012

Seems like I can't copy-paste ANYTHING into the posting boxes. I originally wrote the first post elsewhere and copy-pasted it in; tried from two different word processors, no luck. Had to write it all from scratch while in the forum posting box.
                Last edited by whazzatt; 01-26-2017, 02:04 AM.

Comment

Working...