Help please before my brain explodes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please before my brain explodes

Would any of the tech guys be able to help me out .I have a small breeding project for falcons .My pens are in a area where getting 240 power is not a option without huge expense.
    I am looking to run 8 ip cameras with the facility to view from my iPhone so streaming video when required .
    I have been gifted 2 x250 solar panels from a friend but i am unsure how to work out what charger ,batteries ,cables and inventor i will need .
    i have looked around this site and it is very helpfull but its to much information for my small brain to deal with.Would anyone be kind enough to give me a best system to run this .I appreciate this is the lazy option asking on here but i have tried looking into this for a month or so and i am still confused with the loads ,usage, and what the best product and how its wired .
    Your thoughts would be appreciated .

You are going to need to assemble all your equipment and figure out what your loads are going to be. Are they 120 volt AC (house power) are they 12 volt DC? Are they going to be running 24/7/365?.Provided your equipment, hopefully, has a low power draw you may be able to pull this off. If your equipment is 12 DC (or maybe 24volt) you wont have to put an inverter into the loop.

As mentioned get your equipment and find the data labeling and make note of the volt and amp requirements to get started.
    2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Originally posted by littleharbor View Post
      You are going to need to assemble all your equipment and figure out what your loads are going to be. Are they 120 volt AC (house power) are they 12 volt DC? Are they going to be running 24/7/365?.Provided your equipment, hopefully, has a low power draw you may be able to pull this off. If your equipment is 12 DC (or maybe 24volt) you wont have to put an inverter into the loop.

As mentioned get your equipment and find the data labeling and make note of the volt and amp requirements to get started.
      Thanks for your help ,I have not bought the cameras as yet but i am using 2 at my house that are good enough for the purpose the dat from them is this .
      Compression H.264 Main Profile@Level 3.0 / MJPEG optional
      Video bit rate 0.1M-6Mbps, customized
      Bit stream type video stream
      Audio compress N/A
      Audio bit rate N/A
      Triple bit streams Support
      Image Video resolution 1920*1080
      Video flame rate PAL: 1-25 frames/second, NTSC: 1-30 frames/second
      Function PTZ N/A
      Heartbeat mechanism Support
      IP auto pop-out IP auto pop-out at customer end
      Password protection Multi-level protection on password
      Intellectual alarm Mobile detection, video shielding, video loss, network breakdown, abnormality in storage
      Basic functions One-key reset, password protection, watermark technology
      Interface Audio input N/A
      Video output N/A
      Network port 1 pcs, RJ45 10M/100Mbps self-adaptable Ethernet port
      Serial port N/A
      Alarm input N/A
      Alarm output N/A
      Wireless network WIFI N/A
      Wireless encryption
      protocol
      N/A
      Cell phone monitor Support
      3G network N/A
      others POE Optional
      Power supply DC12V/1A
      Power consumption <6W
      Working temp -10℃ ~ +55 ℃
      Working humidity 10 ~ 85%
      Weight 1.5Kg

Comment

The optional power supply shows <6 watts and 12 volts. Very light load, so far so good. What else ?
        If your other loads are similarly minute and 12 volt. you will have no problem powering this. You are going to need a MPPT charge controller and proper sized battery. In this case, if remote, probably a sealed AGM battery which will not require periodic checking of electrolyte levels. Also if the power requirements remain small you might be able to do this with one solar panel.

Comment

Thanks again your a gentleman .
          so the max would be 8 cameras running all day ,i was told that when streaming they use more power?
          what size of MTTP charge controller would i need and what size of battery/batteries ?
          also the panel will be around 80 yards from the pens to get the best out of the sun does this change anything re cables running from solar to charge controller .

I have added the panel detail incase it changes anything .Thanks again this is really appreciated .

Attached Files

Comment

Can't guess. How much more power? Also are they running continuously? 80 yards away makes a big difference, now you will need to run high voltage to your charge controller to avoid having to use big expensive wire. BTW when figuring for DC voltage you need to calculate the round trip which would be 480 feet. I'm not real good with the numbers here. Maybe another more experienced member will chime in. Needless to say with your 2 panels, series wired, you are only going to get a best 61 volts. I think you would have to invest in some pretty expensive wire to carry that power. Probably cheaper to buy 2 more panels and a 200 volt Midnite classic controller to process the higher voltage needed to move power that far.

Comment

Well if you just take that each camera is 6 watts x 8 x 24hours = 1152wh.

Then your 12volt battery would need to be 1152wh /12v * 5 = 480Ah (which is sized for 20% DOD daily)

Then your panel wattage would need to be at least 600watts (600w / 12v = 50 charging amps) using a 60amp MPPT charge controller.

You might get away with 500 watts, a 400Ah 12volt battery & a 45amp MPPT CC, but that would run the risk of using 25% of the battery daily and the potential of killing the battery system if you don't get sun for a couple of days or if those cameras use a lot more than 6 watts.

Comment

Thanks again ,would it work better if i had the charge controller and batteries in a housing at the panel and run the 80 yards to the camera ?

Comment

I will try and find more info on the usage of the camera when streaming ,it would only stream a single camera at time for about 20 mins total streaming in 24 hrs ?

Comment

Originally posted by Alec m View Post
                    Thanks again your a gentleman .
                    so the max would be 8 cameras running all day ,i was told that when streaming they use more power?
                    what size of MTTP charge controller would i need and what size of battery/batteries ?
                    OK. Daily use of 1152 watt-hours, so 96 amp-hours. Design for 3 days no sun so 288 amp-hours. Max discharge 50% so 576 amp-hours. 12V 576 amp hour battery can be built from two Trojan IND13-6 batteries; they are about $1200 each so a total of $2400.

Next - charging. You want to target around C/8 for charging rate; can go as low as C/12, So that's between 1000 and 700 watts. So you could use the two panels you have and add one additional panel. You'll need ~50 amps capacity for the charger. You could try the Victron 100/50 charge controller for this; not the best quality but I've talked to some people who are happy with it. That's about $300.

For your application I would strongly recommend a separate LVD for the 12V loads. You can do that with a Xantrex C40 for $120.

Comment

Thanks again ,would it work better if i had the charge controller and batteries in a housing at the panel and run the 80 yards to the camera ?
                      The wire size to the cameras would need to be huge since it is only 12volt and over 240feet to keep it from having a voltage drop < 3%.

I hate to say it but maybe converting to a higher voltage and then back down to the camera voltage would be better since the wire size of the higher voltage would be smaller and a lot less costly.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
                        The wire size to the cameras would need to be huge since it is only 12volt and over 240feet to keep it from having a voltage drop < 3%.

I hate to say it but maybe converting to a higher voltage and then back down to the camera voltage would be better since the wire size of the higher voltage would be smaller and a lot less costly.
                        If he goes that way, then it might make a lot more sense to go with a 48 volt system. He'd need two more panels instead of one - but battery costs go down (~$1000 for 8 T105's instead of $2400) controller costs go down (now he could live with a 20 amp controller) and he only needs one DC/DC instead of two for the wire run.

He might also consider a plain ol 120V inverter to further reduce wiring sizes.

Comment

Originally posted by jflorey2 View Post
                          If he goes that way, then it might make a lot more sense to go with a 48 volt system. He'd need two more panels instead of one - but battery costs go down (~$1000 for 8 T105's instead of $2400) controller costs go down (now he could live with a 20 amp controller) and he only needs one DC/DC instead of two for the wire run.

He might also consider a plain ol 120V inverter to further reduce wiring sizes.
                          That is one option. Yet even at 48volt the wire would have to be pretty big to run it 80 yards.

Comment

Thanks for you input its really giving me a good insight .
                            at best what do you think it would cost approx for me to get this working batteries, controller,and cable ect ect just ball park?

Comment

Thanks for you input its really giving me a good insight .
                              at best what do you think it would cost approx for me to get this working batteries, controller,and cable ect ect just ball park?
                              For 48V:
                              Batteries $1000
                              Charge controller $300
                              Another 500W of panels $500
                              Inverter $300
                              Cabling $200
                              Protection $200

So call it $2500. An additional $1000 every 5 years or so for batt replacement.

Comment

Working...
                              X