Shunt recommendation for Trojan L16 battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shunt recommendation for Trojan L16 battery

I'm replacing my SW4048 inverter with a Conext XW5548. So I won't be using my Midnight Solare E-panel with the very convenient built in shunt for my Bogart battery monitor. I need to get a new 500a shunt. I would like to find a shunt that bolts directly to my Trojan L16RE-A terminal or better yet directly to the negative terminal in the XW PDP.

Has anyone fit a shunt in the Conext PDP or on an L16 terminal without using an extension cable?
    Conext XW5548
    Conext MPPT60-150

Sounds like the preferred way, reduce the quantity of high amp connections . I've no experience putting them in, most likely going direct to a vendor and seeing what they suggest or have on hand.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

I believe for a shunt to be accurate monitoring your battery it should be mounted at the negative battery terminal
      2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Originally posted by hammick View Post
        Has anyone fit a shunt in the Conext PDP or on an L16 terminal without using an extension cable?
        No Sir but I take two huge issues with that approach and it makes no difference what manufacture you are using.

1. The Fuse on the Hot or Un-Grounded Battery Term Post should be connected to the battery and no other place. Certainly NOT A SHUNT before overcurrent protection is applied.

2. Assuming you are using an Grounded System, then you can certainly place the Shunt on the Grounded Circuit Conductor Battery Term Post. Example if you are Bonding the Negative Battery Post, you can place the Shunt on the Negative Term Post, but it must be placed correctly of you are going to miss either Charge or Discharge connector.

The reason you do not use the Hot Side of the battery like Positive is because you are using small twisted wire to measure the Voltage across the Shunt at a distant laced Volt Meter to read the current. If that wire were to make contact with anything grounded would vaporize the wire instantly catching everything around it on fire.

If you FLOAT the system (not a Ground System), then makes no difference which polarity you use assuming you equipment manufacture is not polarity sensitive.
        Last edited by Sunking; 01-07-2017, 07:55 PM.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

What SK said!

SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
            No Sir but I take two huge issues with that approach and it makes no difference what manufacture you are using.

1. The Fuse on the Hot or Un-Grounded Battery Term Post should be connected to the battery and no other place. Certainly NOT A SHUNT before overcurrent protection is applied.

2. Assuming you are using an Grounded System, then you can certainly place the Shunt on the Grounded Circuit Conductor Battery Term Post. Example if you are Bonding the Negative Battery Post, you can place the Shunt on the Negative Term Post, but it must be placed correctly of you are going to miss either Charge or Discharge connector.

The reason you do not use the Hot Side of the battery like Positive is because you are using small twisted wire to measure the Voltage across the Shunt at a distant laced Volt Meter to read the current. If that wire were to make contact with anything grounded would vaporize the wire instantly catching everything around it on fire.

If you FLOAT the system (not a Ground System), then makes no difference which polarity you use assuming you equipment manufacture is not polarity sensitive.
            Sorry I misspoke about putting it directly on the battery lug. I will do it the same way I did with the SW4048. 150a fuses on both positive and negative battery posts. If I put the shunt at the battery it will be connected to the negative fuse. If I put it in the PDP it will be connected to the negative bus bar. Either way the fuses will be on the battery terminals.

My battery system is not grounded as I have an MPPT60-150 with GFCI protection.

The shunt in my Midnight Solar E-panel allowed my Bogart monitor to report 100% SOC when my specific gravity was right were it should be. So I will probably put in the PDP just for convenience. My battery cables are 10' 4/0 so not sure putting the shunt in the PDP really matters vs right at the battery.
            Last edited by hammick; 01-07-2017, 10:05 PM.
            Conext XW5548
            Conext MPPT60-150

Comment

My battery system is not grounded as I have an MPPT60-150 with GFCI protection.
              If your system is Truly Floating, then it makes no difference. BE WARNED, you may not have Grounded the system, but very few manufactures allow you any choice and by default have battery Negative bonded to the equipment chassis thus making It a Grounded System. If that is the case, you have serious safety issues. Real easy to determine with a Volt Meter with everything connected and running.

Find the Ground Stud on your Charge Controller, place the Negative Test Probe on the Ground Stud, then measure for voltage to both Positive and negative terminals on the battery term post. If you read Battery Voltage on the Positive Term Post, and Zero volts on Negative Term Post your system is Grounded.

If it is Not a Grounded System you will get some strange inconsistent voltage readings on both Positive and Negative Term Post called Ghost or Phantom voltages.
              Last edited by Sunking; 01-07-2017, 10:31 PM.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

If your system is Truly Floating, then it makes no difference. BE WARNED, you may not have Grounded the system, but very few manufactures allow you any choice and by default have battery Negative bonded to the equipment chassis thus making It a Grounded System. If that is the case, you have serious safety issues. Real easy to determine with a Volt Meter with everything connected and running.

Find the Ground Stud on your Charge Controller, place the Negative Test Probe on the Ground Stud, then measure for voltage to both Positive and negative terminals on the battery term post. If you read Battery Voltage on the Positive Term Post, and Zero volts on Negative Term Post your system is Grounded.

If it is Not a Grounded System you will get some strange inconsistent voltage readings on both Positive and Negative Term Post called Ghost or Phantom voltages.
                Thanks. I am positive I am not grounded as I spent a lot of time reading and speaking with Schneider about this. If the system is grounded changes must be made to the MPPT60-150 charge controller to disable the ground fault protection. I will run your tests after I get it all installed. Thanks.

I remember doing a continuity test on the CC before I installed it. There was no continuity between the ground stud and the chassis.
                Last edited by hammick; 01-07-2017, 10:50 PM.
                Conext XW5548
                Conext MPPT60-150

Comment

Thanks. I am positive I am not grounded as I spent a lot of time reading and speaking with Schneider about this. If the system is grounded changes must be made to the MPPT60-150 charge controller to disable the ground fault protection. I will run your tests after I get it all installed. Thanks.

I remember doing a continuity test on the CC before I installed it. There was no continuity between the ground stud and the chassis.
                  OK just looking out for you and your family's safety. Just make sure the shunt is properly located as a NODE or else you will not see both charge and discharge current.

MSEE, PE

Comment

OK just looking out for you and your family's safety. Just make sure the shunt is properly located as a NODE or else you will not see both charge and discharge current.
                    Got it. It's wired in my MS E-panel right now with the CC floating the batteries. I'll be installing my XW system in the Spring when the weather warms up. Not looking forward to hoisting a 125lb inverter up on the wall. Pretty sure I'll put the new shunt in the PDP and wire as before. Bogart's instruction are pretty detailed. Schneider might be sending me their Battery Monitor gratis since I won't be able to use my current shunt in the PDP.

I agree on the safety factor. My wife wasn't far away from the SW4048 inverter when it grendaded itself. Her first thought was that I had electrocuted myself on the diesel generator.

I thought I was going to have to use a fire extinguisher on it but the flames inside it went out in a short amount of time. I kicked off the DC breaker and disconnected the battery terminals as quickly as I could but I think it just blew a big capacitor on the power supply. It will still boot up but goes into an undervoltage fault immediately. Schneider is paying to have it sent back to them.
                    Last edited by hammick; 01-08-2017, 07:41 PM.
                    Conext XW5548
                    Conext MPPT60-150

Comment

Working...
                    X