Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about SMA SUNNY ISLAND CHARGER 50

Hi everyone. I have a question about the SUNNY ISLAND CHARGER 50

I see it in single line diagrams combined with Sunny Island 4.4 6.0 and 8.0 But the Sunny Island's have a charge controller of itself so why should I combine it. I see it also combined in off grid systems with sunny islands but without a sunny boy.

I don t see clearly when I should use the SUNNY ISLAND CHARGER 50

Can anybody explain to me?

Thanks in advance

Kind regards

Johan

Attached Files

Originally posted by Bendesa1962 View Post
    Hi everyone. I have a question about the SUNNY ISLAND CHARGER 50

I see it in single line diagrams combined with Sunny Island 4.4 6.0 and 8.0 But the Sunny Island's have a charge controller of itself so why should I combine it. I see it also combined in off grid systems with sunny islands but without a sunny boy.

I don t see clearly when I should use the SUNNY ISLAND CHARGER 50

Can anybody explain to me?

Thanks in advance

Kind regards

Johan
    The Sunny Islands can recharge the battery bank from AC at its line terminals. But it cannot take DC from PV.
    The Charger lets you recharge the batteries directly from PV.
    Any other CC would probably work just as well.

PS: Die Seite wurde leider nicht gefunden.

Last edited by inetdog; 01-03-2017, 05:06 AM.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Hi thanks for your reply. So basically you don't need a Sunny Boy anymore? Because in normal configuration the Sunny Boy converts the PV DC to AC and feeds the Sunny island?

And when you would llike to extend you can easilly add Sunny Island Chargers?

Comment

Originally posted by Bendesa1962 View Post
        Hi thanks for your reply. So basically you don't need a Sunny Boy anymore? Because in normal configuration the Sunny Boy converts the PV DC to AC and feeds the Sunny island?

And when you would llike to extend you can easilly add Sunny Island Chargers?
        The reasons for the SBs are
        1. to be able to convert PV to AC when grid is not present without the energy losses that come from converting from DC to AC and back again.
        2. To have a PV to AC pathway that can be used in a grid tied situation to sell excess power back to the grid and draw power from the grid when needed.
        3. Possibly (I have not checked) to have a lower cost way to produce a larger amount of power as AC when the sun is up and a lower amount of power from the batteries when the sun is down.

The SB/SI solution may require you to have separate PV arrays, one for SBs and one for Chargers because otherwise the MPPT algorithms of the two sets of equipment will be fighting each other.
        I do not know if the SMA Charger can specifically integrate with SBs to share an array or not.

You can generally add as many separate CCs as you need, connected to one battery bank, but unless they specifically coordinate on the DC side they will have to be driven by separate PV arrays.
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Hi, thanks for your explanation I do appriciate it

Thanks a lot

Comment

Working...
          X