Setting system target voltages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting system target voltages

Hey guys, I'll be honest. I'm a total new guy to the off grid solar living, and I'm really striving to understand how these systems work. I currently have a 4.3 KW 15 panel system from wholesale solar with a 14 kw koeler generator. I have 8 6volt batteries set up as a 48 volt system. So far the system seems to run fine but I feel target voltages are too low for the bulk charging to initiate or the generator to come on. What are some of the voltages you guys put into your system to keep your batteries near 100% SOC? Do any of you change those voltages depending on time of year (i.e. Winter)?
    thanks much,
    Dave

A general rule of thumb is that absorb voltages go up during the winter and down during the summer. My battery manufacturer recommends 58.1v absorb (factory data sheet) which during the summer is a tad too low to get up to 95% SOC with a 4 hr absorb. I spoke with their tech people twice and they wanted me to adjust the voltage to get at least a 1.265 SG so in the summer I run at 58.4v absorb and get about a 1.270 SOC after 3.5 hrs. During the winter I bump the absorb as high as 59.3v with a 4 hr absorb to get a 1.266 SG most sunny days.

I've found that if the ending amps is about 1.25% of the battery amp capacity I'm at about 1.265 SG.

You have to adjust the voltages regularly, I check my SGs about twice a week and fine tune the voltage..
    Last edited by John Galt 1; 12-22-2016, 08:02 PM.

Comment

So, maybe I asked the question wrong. I set my voltages to absorb at 58 and float at 54. I have not seen the charge controller run through a bulk charging cycle from the array. I'm not in the power shed all the time to notice if it's running through a cycle though. The batteries slowly run low ans the generator comes on every couple of days, then the batteries get charged up. There is a power status code on the charge controller which might be keeping it in the float cycle all the time, it is saying the battery voltage is above the target voltage setpoint. I Haven't seen where I can adjust this setpoint. What voltage are you guys setting to have a bulk charge cycle initiate?
      Sorry for the confusion in this post, I'm slowly figuring this stuff out!
      thanks for the help!

Comment

What model charge controller? Want batteries do you have? Different battery manufacturers want different charging voltages.. If they are lead acid batteries are you using a hydrometer to check SOC (state of charge)?

Comment

Working...
        X