Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tb144050
    • Nov 2016

Newbie slumming it off ebay. :O

Everybody has to start somewhere. So I started with ebay to get myself some experience....and to buy the endless list of supplies (MC4 connectors, 0awg rings, 4awg rings, 0awg wire, 4awg wire, 10awg wire, Energizer 1500w inverter (not pure), shunts, analog gauges, digital gauges (note: my phone cannot capture all the numbers of the LED display...but they are all visible to my eyesight), a few PWM's, 4x 100w Solar Cynergy panels, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.....The quality will come as I decide to upgrade different components....by which time I hope to know more about what I really NEED and what to AVOID.
    -------------
    Note: If the wiring looks "unnecessary" or "excessive".....the shunt was used with the analog meter in the + side of the Panel-input.....until i later installed the LED meter which required the shunt to be in the -(NEG) input. Ehh, just a first-draft tinker-design....next time, I will know to line the shunt inline with the -(NEG) wire. 20161031_115458__Solar_controller_and_meters.jpg
  • tb144050
    • Nov 2016

And yes, I quickly realized that I hooked the battery bank to the "load" connection on the CC. I was just bench-testing the work-in-progress to see if the LED was going to work or not..lol

Comment

• inetdog
      Super Moderator
      • May 2012

Originally posted by tb144050
      And yes, I quickly realized that I hooked the battery bank to the "load" connection on the CC. I was just bench-testing the work-in-progress to see if the LED was going to work or not..lol
      You would be lucky if the circuit worked at all with that connection.
      Most, but not all, CCs are designed such that the electronics will not initialize properly unless you connect the battery output to a battery voltage within their design range before you connect the PV source to the input. Connecting the battery to the load terminals first instead is also not likely to work properly.
      SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• tb144050
        • Nov 2016

Originally posted by inetdog

You would be lucky if the circuit worked at all with that connection.
        Most, but not all, CCs are designed such that the electronics will not initialize properly unless you connect the battery output to a battery voltage within their design range before you connect the PV source to the input. Connecting the battery to the load terminals first instead is also not likely to work properly.
        Yep. The voltage fluctuated on the display of the CC so I knew to check for something I did wrong. Amateurs have to gain experience...lol. I am glad it did not fry anything, but if it had...that's why I am playing with cheap eBay parts, hehe.

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Wing nut connections have the tendency to loosen up. With the + and - terminals so close together that creates an easy way to accidentally short them out with your hand while you are tightening them.

If you plan on using the wing nuts I would look into finding ones that have insulating material on them to make it harder to short out the circuit..

Comment

• tb144050
            • Nov 2016

Originally posted by SunEagle
            Wing nut connections have the tendency to loosen up. With the + and - terminals so close together that creates an easy way to accidentally short them out with your hand while you are tightening them.

If you plan on using the wing nuts I would look into finding ones that have insulating material on them to make it harder to short out the circuit..
            Insulated wing-nuts would be very relieving. These plastic panels are just for bench-testing as I progress....but safety is preferred. Thanks!!

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by tb144050
              Insulated wing-nuts would be very relieving. These plastic panels are just for bench-testing as I progress....but safety is preferred. Thanks!!
              You are welcome. I am always looking out for someones safety when it comes to electricity and solar technology.

Comment

Working...