Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alkaline
    • Oct 2016

Help with wrong installation of inverter.. :(

Hello I've just registered in a desperately need of some help.. I think I have burnt the inverter.. but I really hope not.

Today I was reinstalling my solar system after two months been stored away. I had to reconnect all the cables to their fuse box(? )(how you call them... Like a fuse box you use to control (on/off) your house electricity). So I connected all the cables and switch everything on and nothing went on, no lights went on at all, not the inverter led nor the controller LEDs.. so I thought it was because batteries were dead and well perhaps the inverter wouldn't go on if they had no power coming in.. and it was about 4-5pm. I left for 1 hour and when I came back and went to check on the system it was really hot and it was smelling weird, like burnt maybe.

When I was checking all the cables I found out the cable that was coming out of the inverter that says 'AC output' it was connected to the cables that were coming from the 'controller->batteries'.. 😥 which I believe should've gone to the main electricity switch of the house... The main electricity switch of the house was connected to the 'controller-batteries' cables.. so the other way around!! BIG MISTAKE I know.. it happened for following the electricity fuse box(?) Instead of the cables!!! And they were on the wrong boxes (the other way around, hence my mistake!) which were previously installed by someone else..

I feel terrible this was my last chance, all I had in this remote place.. so the big question, which I feel I know the answer is.. is it burnt? Over? Should I commit suicide now? Or do I have an option? A little light at the end of the corridor? I really really hope so 😥

Thank you for reading and for any help I'd be really grateful as I have no one who knows about this around.
  • Alkaline
    • Oct 2016

Specs:

1x 285w solar panel at 24v
    2x 92amh north star red batteries
    1x 305 solar panel at 24v
    2x 103amh Alpha cell 4.0 hp batteries
    1x TriStar TS-45 controller
    1x Victron Energy puresine wave inverter Phoenix 24|1200

Batteries are connected in serie
    Solar panels are connected in parallel

I had made a mistake connecting the 'AC output' of the inverter to the output of the controller-batteries.. is the inverter burnt? Is it repairable? Is it easy to repair? Would it be expensive? Please some help

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

IMO your inverter has been damaged by reversing the AC and DC wiring.

I am also a little confused about your system hardware. You mention 2 different panel wattage's and 2 different battery Ah ratings.

Are all for of those batteries wired into one system being charged by those 2 different wattage panels or do you have 2 systems?

Mixing different batteries can be a big problem due to unequal charging and discharging. The same can be said if the solar panel Vmp and Imp are greater than 5% based on how they are wired to the CC.

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

So sorry for your loss.

All you can do is to recharge the batteries one at a time with a charger, or from the solar. When they are full, try to connect the inverter properly, and turn it on, maybe it may work. or maybe explode in a cloud of plasma. Do you have any DC fuses or circuit breakers to protect the wires ?
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Alkaline
          • Oct 2016

Originally posted by SunEagle
          IMO your inverter has been damaged by reversing the AC and DC wiring.

I am also a little confused about your system hardware. You mention 2 different panel wattage's and 2 different battery Ah ratings.

Are all for of those batteries wired into one system being charged by those 2 different wattage panels or do you have 2 systems?

Mixing different batteries can be a big problem due to unequal charging and discharging. The same can be said if the solar panel Vmp and Imp are greater than 5% based on how they are wired to the CC.
          Hi SunEagle,

I also think it may have been damaged as it was plugged like that for like 1-2 hours, it was really hot and it smelt a bit like burnt (coming close to it). But not completel sure on the last one.. so I might try again plugging it properly. What do you think?

About the setup. First I bought controller + inverter + 285w solar panel (I was looking for the higher power rating and this is what I found) at 24v and the two north star batteries were supposed to have the right Ah rating. Two to connect them in serie to make them 24v. This was recommended by the guy who sold the system.

6 months later I had the opportunity to buy another solar panel with its set of two batteries. Again looking for the higher capacity as I didn't know (and he didn't tell me) that its better to keep same wattage rating. I did hear about using same batteries on the system though. But he didn't have them anymore and said it was no problem. What can happen? They will die sooner? How bad is this? How can I separate the systems? Would I need another controller and inverter for the other system?

And lastly I didn't quite understand the part about "the solar panel Vmp and Imp are greater than 5% based on how they are wired to the CC." How do I find that out. What is CC? Sorry for the ignorance.

Originally posted by Mike90250
          So sorry for your loss.

All you can do is to recharge the batteries one at a time with a charger, or from the solar. When they are full, try to connect the inverter properly, and turn it on, maybe it may work. or maybe explode in a cloud of plasma. Do you have any DC fuses or circuit breakers to protect the wires ?
          I was just wondering what it would happen if I try to plug it properly. I guess and hope you're joking about any explosions.. right? I'm also curious on why do I have to charge the batteries first before plugging the inverter? When this happened the controller led lights didn't go on either. Is that ok? Or it may have suffered too?

I'm attaching a picture so you can see how is the setup.

Thank you for replying!
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Alkaline; 10-25-2016, 01:26 PM.

Comment

• Alkaline
            • Oct 2016

So I have plugged the solar to the controller to the batteries for charging. Lights went on, I believe it was red/yellow first, in a couple of seconds went to yellow, same to green to then blinking green, which looking at the user manual seems to be PWM absorption, which I think is ok (?).

So now the question is if I'm ready to plug the inverter? I'm afraid of making more damage to it. But I really don't know. What are the risks?

Thank you!

Comment

• Alkaline
              • Oct 2016

Can anyone let me know what would happen if I plug the inverter again to see if it works. I don't want to damaged it more (if damaged). Anyone? Thank you!

Comment

• Mike90250
                • May 2009

It will do 1 of 3 things
                nothing. it's fried
                Work OK
                Burst into flames
                No way to guess which will happen, but working OK is not likely. Buy a case of beer, invite some "friends" over, and see who gets brave.
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• SunEagle
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

If there isn't any type of "reset" on the inverter more than likely some of the electronics have been damaged. The result could be anywhere between "nothing happens" to an early "July fireworks display".

IMO, just to be safe, anyone that decides to power it back up should be wearing safety glasses and fire retardant clothing.

Comment

• Alkaline
                    • Oct 2016

If there isn't any type of "reset" on the inverter more than likely some of the electronics have been damaged. The result could be anywhere between "nothing happens" to an early "July fireworks display".

IMO, just to be safe, anyone that decides to power it back up should be wearing safety glasses and fire retardant clothing.
                    Why would anyone want to power it back then. I mean there's not any other way I could see if it works without having to take the risk of explosion, cloud of plasma, fire, etc. I live in a bamboo made house.. so it seems crazy to do it. How about the circuit breakers I have, can they avoid the risk or fire and all that?

I had finally got in touch with the person who sold the system to me. He reckons I should send it to him to check it out and fix it. He says it's definitely damaged. But I'd like to, if possible, know before hand if it's really damaged as I'd have to send it to the capital which is far away.

Does anyone know ehat kind of repair will they most likely do? I remember he saying they will probably have to replace some potentiometers and MOSFETs. Are this expensive? How expensive approximately.. any way to have an idea?

I'd like, if possible to know before hand if it's really damaged and if those 'potenciometers' and 'mosfets' are expensive pieces (how expensive?) Especially because in the capital, in the area where they operate, people are known to take advantage of you if they realize you don't know about the topic..

Again, thank you for replying!

Comment

• SunEagle
                      Super Moderator
                      • Oct 2012

Chances are there are major electronic components inside that are no longer working. The MOSFETS (transistors that control the power circuit) are more than likely burnt up along with any type of resistor in the power circuit.

The chance of the thing blowing up is probably remote. More than likely it just sit there and not work. The big issue is how much of the total circuit(s) and components were damaged by pumping AC back into a DC side of the equipment. That is usually determined by someone with the proper tools and knowledge to test the system. Even looking at the circuit board will not necessarily tell you if a component is bad or not.

Comment

• jflorey2
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Alkaline
                        Why would anyone want to power it back then.
                        Because it might work. If you are very lucky, you just charred some insulation on a transformer winding but did not destroy it - and it might still work.
                        I mean there's not any other way I could see if it works without having to take the risk of explosion, cloud of plasma, fire, etc. I live in a bamboo made house.. so it seems crazy to do it. How about the circuit breakers I have, can they avoid the risk or fire and all that?
                        Best way to avoid the risk of fire? Get a new inverter.
                        Don't want a new inverter? You might have to take a little risk.
                        Does anyone know ehat kind of repair will they most likely do? I remember he saying they will probably have to replace some potentiometers and MOSFETs. Are this expensive? How expensive approximately.. any way to have an idea?
                        FET's, electrolytic caps and diodes are the components most likely to go south. The parts themselves aren't that expensive; the labor to replace them is.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                          ButchDeal commented
                          Editing a comment
                          best case is it has just blown the internal fuse and after replacing that it works fine.
                      • Alkaline
                        • Oct 2016

The chance of the thing blowing up is probably remote. More than likely it just sit there and not work.
                        That gives me a bit more confidence to try it.

The big issue is how much of the total circuit(s) and components were damaged by pumping AC back into a DC side of the equipment.
                        It was actually the other way around. I pumped the load coming from the batteries to the 'AC output of the inverter. It is still that messed up? 😅
                        ----
                        Originally posted by jflorey2
                        Because it might work. If you are very lucky, you just charred some insulation on a transformer winding but did not destroy it - and it might still work.
                        Thank you! I'll try and post back (if it doesn't start a fire 😱&#128517

Comment

• ButchDeal
                          ButchDeal commented
                          Editing a comment
                          remember if it does nothing, it could just be the internal fuse was blown
                      • Alkaline
                        • Oct 2016

It works!!!! I mean the light went on! And it seems stable! It's been on the last five minutes only but it shouldn't if was damaged, right?

Oh em geeeee! I'm so happy!!!! But let me know if I shouldn't be this happy just yet! 🙆😀😀

Comment

• SunEagle
                          Super Moderator
                          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Alkaline
                          It works!!!! I mean the light went on! And it seems stable! It's been on the last five minutes only but it shouldn't if was damaged, right?

Oh em geeeee! I'm so happy!!!! But let me know if I shouldn't be this happy just yet! 🙆😀😀
                          Keep an eye on it and check to see if it is getting hot. Remember you did mention it got very hot before and started to smell. Neither of those actions are good for electronics.

Comment

Working...