Solar powered radio station

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar powered radio station

ok here we go, i have a 4m x 2m shed/mancave ive built to run an i-net radio station its only going to be small scale and i would like to run it off of a solar powered
    system, now bare in mind that i will not be running this 24/7, more like two nights on a weekend friday saturday night for a maximum time of up to 5hrs each night, im from uk so im taking into consideration that theres not alot of sun during the winter so this would be for summer broadcasting.
    Can anyone recommend a solar setup or even work one out for me as im pretty useless with the math part of the working out wattage voltage etc,ive been looking at kits to build myself but my budget is restricting me, its only £300 (at the moment) and what ive seen my common sense tells me that they just wouldnt be up to the job
    heres a list of the equipment i will be using including the volts/watts of each

pioneer cdj 2000 x2 and 28w each

numark mixtrack edge (USB powered)

samsung i3 400B laptop AC adaptor 240v 60w

amplifier 300w

5ft fluorescent tube light 58w

so there you have it and what im asking very politely is for some one to write me out a plan of what to get, how many solar panels what charge controller what inverter would be best and how many deep cycle batteries i would need to bank up, i hope somebody can help me because i really dont fancy shelling out £2000+ for an electrician to rig my shed to the mains

many thanks for lookin

You cannot afford it, your budget will not allow it. Run commercial AC power to your shed. That can be done with your budget and will actually work. See that was easy enough to understand
    Last edited by Sunking; 10-23-2016, 03:20 PM.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• wayne curie
      wayne curie commented
      Editing a comment
      genuine answers from genuine people please, not from trolls that blatantly sound like they haven't had a bit for quite some time

You are going to get the same answer from anyone who knows solar. You have no clue what it takes, and when you do wil understand I am right and saving you a lot of time, and more importantly your dang money which you will thank me for later.

If you want to be lied to and made to feel warm and fuzzy. Go to a Politically correct form where they will tell you what you want to hear and lie between their teeth to make you fell better.

Go to the Northern AZ Wind and Sun Forum. There you will find a bunch of liars, salesman, and advocates who will be nice to you and sell you something you will regret later. But they will make you feel Warm and Fuzzy all over.
    Last edited by Sunking; 10-23-2016, 03:25 PM.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by wayne curie View Post
      genuine answers from genuine people please, not from trolls that blatantly sound like they haven't had a bit for quite some time
      Looks like you asked for opinions in the form of polite responses. You got one that suggests your idea is impractical given your budget constraints, and offered a practical and likely workable alternative.

From your reply, I'd infer that you think folks who deem your proposal impractical are congenital naysayers who need to get laid more, which may or may not be a correct assessment applicable to the poster of the response to your (?? !!), but in any case (I'd respectfully submit), immaterial to the assessment and advice given. You can always ignore the advice and the post.
      Last edited by J.P.M.; 10-23-2016, 07:16 PM.

Comment

(need a way to run following equipment in backyard shed offgrid a few hours a week): budget is restricting me, its only £300 (at the moment) and what ive seen my common sense tells me that they just wouldnt be up to the job

amplifier 300w
        Here's an idea:
        - forget solar
        - give up on the amplifier, just use headphones
        - charge your laptop in the house so it can run off its own power
        - switch from the 58W tube light to a couple 8W LEDs
        - get a portable lithium-ion uninterruptable power supply, charge it in your house overnight, carry it into the shed when needed just to power the turntables and LED lamps (and maybe keep the laptop afloat a bit longer)

Looking at amazon uk, I see there are a couple portable UPS that might do (search for chafon ups and then shop around).

Good luck and have fun!

Comment

ok here we go, i have a 4m x 2m shed/mancave ive built to run an i-net radio station its only going to be small scale and i would like to run it off of a solar powered
          system, now bare in mind that i will not be running this 24/7, more like two nights on a weekend friday saturday night for a maximum time of up to 5hrs each night, im from uk so im taking into consideration that theres not alot of sun during the winter so this would be for summer broadcasting.
          Can anyone recommend a solar setup or even work one out for me as im pretty useless with the math part of the working out wattage voltage etc,ive been looking at kits to build myself but my budget is restricting me, its only £300 (at the moment) and what ive seen my common sense tells me that they just wouldnt be up to the job
          heres a list of the equipment i will be using including the volts/watts of each

amplifier 300w

so there you have it and what im asking very politely is for some one to write me out a plan of what to get, how many solar panels what charge controller what inverter would be best and how many deep cycle batteries i would need to bank up, i hope somebody can help me because i really dont fancy shelling out £2000+ for an electrician to rig my shed to the mains

many thanks for lookin
          If you only have a small budget then I would suggest you either get a generator or find a way to get grid power to your radio station. Building a solar power generating source is not low cost and almost impractical if grid power is even within 100 meters.

Save your money and learn as much as you can about solar technology before you spend anything. I wish I had gotten that tip before I spent $2500 on a system that barely gets me 600 watt hours a day.

Comment

So how is it going Wayne. Hope you are not holding your breath waiting for an answer. Like I said you cannot afford it. Best answer you got. No one will give the answer you want because it cannot be done. See I just saved you a ton of money. But you got your poor little feelings hurt. Now go count your money and get over it.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

OK I will take a swag here -

From my calcs you'll need 2.4kwr of power per use, which means about 5kwhr of battery storage. That's 4x T105 batteries, about $100 ea here in the US. To support that size battery you'll need about 500 watts of solar, which will end up being 2x250 watt panels (about $500.) You'll also need a charge controller (Kid is a good one here) and an inverter (good 24V pure sine wave) plus cabling and protection. Plus a mount. All told you're looking at about US$2200 for such a system, plus US$400 every few years for new batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by jflorey2 View Post
                OK I will take a swag here -
                From my calcs you'll need 2.4kwr of power per use, which means about 5kwhr of battery storage. That's 4x T105 batteries, about $100 ea here in the US. To support that size battery you'll need about 500 watts of solar, which will end up being 2x250 watt panels (about $500.) You'll also need a charge controller (Kid is a good one here) and an inverter (good 24V pure sine wave) plus cabling and protection. Plus a mount. All told you're looking at about US$2200 for such a system, plus US$400 every few years for new batteries.
                The above will only run the station for 1 day, only in good, sunny weather. Otherwise, you have to start the generator to recharge the batteries.
                No generator ? No problem, Just buy new batteries when the old ones are ruined from not being recharged.

You can get a simple answer, but it does not contain all the vital information, nor have you given us how many solar hours are at your site, if the panels will be roof top mount or pole mount, how long the cable runs would be.....

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...
                X