X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Midrover170
    • Oct 2016

Setup Questions, Inverter to Panel

Hi all,

I'm about 50% complete on setting up my solar at a small off grid cabin. Purchased as a package: 4 195w panels, 4 250amp/hr batteries, controller and inverter. Nearly everything was prewired.

My inverter is a Go Power! GPSW-1500. What has me scratching my head is the output to the service panel. The inverter has two three prong GFCIs, nothing for a hardwire. How can I make this work where the main breaker on the panel is getting power from the inverter? Panel is a pretty typical 100amp Square D (Homeline HOM2040M100PCVP).

Also a couple questions on grounding. The bus bars on the panel are bonded and tied to a grounding rod. Can the ground from the array combiner panel and also the inverter be tied into the main service bus, or is something else/additional needed?

Last, what # of wire is ideal for running from the controls to the array combiner panel? #8, #10? Sadly, these are all the things not included in the kit setup and I naturally have questions due to being a rookie.

Thanks
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Simple you bought the wrong Inverter. You bought a Toy 12 volt Inverter made tail gate parties instead of a 24 or 48 volt Inverter made for hard wiring to a Distribution Panel. A Inverter made for your home does not have receptacles, there are no receptacles to plug into.

Surprise Surprise Surprise. I am not going to bother answering your questions as there is NO CODE COMPLIANT way to use your Inverter in a residence. Whatever anyone tells you other than it cannot be used will violate all electrical codes. So no need to waste any more time on this.

I wil answer one question for you. If you have GFCI, no ground is required. Think about this. Your Inverter is not capable of operating a 15 amp breaker. It cannot produce enough current.
    Last edited by Sunking; 10-23-2016, 11:36 AM.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• Midrover170
      Midrover170 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there.

For what it's worth, the GPSW is the 24 volt model... Doesn't do anything to help the problem though. I'm going to see if they'll send/swap with the 2000 watt that has the hardwire port.

This seems like a pretty common issue online. Why are kits (for cabins) coming with inverters like this?? Isn't mostly everyone having to tie into/feed a service panel?
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Makes no difference if it is 12 or 24 volts, The Inverter has receptacles which tells you immediately it is not made to be hard wired period. It is a MOBILE INVERTER which is made for you to plug a gizmo into it for power. Not likely you will find any small Inverters for a residential wiring under 2000 watts. 2000 watts is a standard single 20-amp circuit. Your house has dozens of them.

Any standard receptacle in your home is practically the exact same thing as a 2000 watt Inverter or in other words a SINGLE 20-Amp 120 volt circuit. Great to run a 1800 watt blow dryer but for from capable of powering your home. How many homes only have 1 circuit? More like 10 to 42 circuits all capable of 2000 watts on at the same time.

Most Residential Inverters are going to be larger with 240/120 VAC output. You can find some smaller ones with 120 volts of 2000 watts and up. But there wil not be any receptacles to plug into the Inverter for power, unless it provides a convenience outlet. They will have a Term Block with 3 to 4 wire output of say 20 to 60 amps you would hardwire to your Breaker Distribution Panel.

So why do stores sell them? Because they can. Not their job to ask you questions to determine if their product will work for you or not. That is your job. Your Inverter was made Portable/Mobile work like a carpenter needing power at a job site. He installs it in his truck with a battery aaand uses the alternator to charge the battery. Run an extension cord and get to work.
    Last edited by Sunking; 10-23-2016, 02:33 PM.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• Midrover170
      Midrover170 commented
      Editing a comment
      I couldn't have made it more clear that I'd be hardwiring to a service panel. Which is why I'm expecting them to make it right. Lesson learned - now I know what to look for. The 2,000 that I imagine they'll be sending has hardwire and plugs like you mentioned. Cabin only has one 20amp circuit, so 2,000 is needed anyway.
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

They do NOT CARE what it was intended for, you ordered it like it was. I hope they will take it back. I seriously doubt they know what it is made for.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• Logan5
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2013

What loads do you plan to run from this inverter battery system? are these batteries 6v to be wired in series for 24v?

Comment

• Midrover170
        Midrover170 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Logan. They're 24 volt panels, all in parallel. Very, very minimal loads. Mostly LEDs, a small fridge and the occasional ceiling fan. That's about it.

• Midrover170
        Midrover170 commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry... The batteries are 12v, in series to 24v. Four of them at 250amp/hr per.
    • Logan5
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2013

The small refrigerator should be replaced with a 24v chest style unit. running a front load refrigeration unit is inherently inefficient, running an inverter just to maintain refrigeration is doubly inefficient. Your batteries are also the inccorect batteries for the off grid system that incorporates refrigeration. Your batteries should be 4 X 6 volt batteries. like Trojan T-105 or L-16's

Comment

• Midrover170
        Midrover170 commented
        Editing a comment
        Fridge will only be on during the weekend. Do you mind explaining why 6v batteries up to 24 is better? Not doubting you, just would like to know. I'm guessing having the benefit of four 6v's and getting away with one string?
        Last edited by Midrover170; 10-23-2016, 10:25 PM.
    • Logan5
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2013

Refrigeration is a very demanding load. Each time you open the door of a front load, it loses 40 to 70% of it's thermal energy, and must run the compressor a long time to recover. a standard unit running from inverter uses even more energy. The same unit running from AC may run just 10 min's to recover, However, running from inverter could take 20 to 30 min's for the same recovery. The compressor will run hotter and struggle to recover each cycle. 12v inverters are even worse. when a refrigeration unit is cycled off, you must keep your inverter running consuming battery power to catch the refrigeration load when it cycles. Very inefficient. I have a simple 24v set up, I have refrigeration, nice quality lighting, fans, big screen TV, Laptops and other gadgets. No inverter, everything runs from battery on half the amp hours of a system that requires an inverter. Batteries should not be parallel wired, 4 X 6v batteries in series is 24v. if you have 4 X 12v batteries you would have to parallel wire to get 24v and this is not recommended. If you continue to build this system to sustain a home style refrigerator, Your troubles will never end.

Comment

Working...